High quality online frames shop?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I really want to be able to present my work in the best frames possible but it seems like the only online shops sell a really small range of not great frames...usually some version of a plain black or white MDF frame which can be susceptible to warping, then a bunch of collage type things which are of no interest to me.

Companies like Loxley can sell their prints with a large range of very nice 'fine art' style frames but I can't seem to find anywhere online that sells them on their own.

Any hot tips? UK based.

Thanks!
Andy

For my own frames for myself (NOT for sale), I've always used a local framing company so I can see exactly what I'm choosing and can take them back if there's a problem with them (never has been). They've cut mounts for me too - again, I've been able to choose exactly what I want.

Two suggestions, I usually go for this:-
"Nielsen Essentielles Pallissander"
for my own prints to display at home. I like them for the method of fixing the back. It allows me to change the print displays by swopping out the print and mount.

Two UK suppliers that I've purchased from, IHTH

Most latterly I had custom frames made and for simplicity also got mounts from this company

I had a finish/QC issue with the first lot but they sorted it all out to my satisfaction.

HTH

I had some frames made my a major online framer, they were rubbish. At least two were physically wrong from a dimensional perspective (i.e. one side of the frame was about 4-5mm shorter), and the glazing was cheap and nasty. They remade them free of charge, but they had to be delivered to the exhibition venue the day before the opening and the curator had to sort out putting the mounted pictures in etc. I had to use the same people again to get some matching frames but I went to collect them in person and inspected every frame before I accepted them. I've not used that framer again.

If you're OK with ready made frames, go with Nielsen frames. I used some in an exhibition and was very impressed with the quality, and I'd happily replace my own frames with Nielsen frames if I hadn't sunk a load of money into buying them. If you want custom made ones, try a local framers so you can get some advice from them, and have a look at how good - or otherwise - their work is.

As others have said try a local supplier as they will be able to adapt to your requirements. Personally I prefer not to have any frame.

I had some frames made my a major online framer,
Which one? Worth knowing.

I've used best4frames and while there was quality control issues from the Nielsen factory, they sorted it out.
frames.co.uk were OK for a one off frame for me. not cheap though.

What about eFrames....anyone used them? Again they don't look particularly cheap but seem to have a huge selection of wooden & aluminium frames. If they are good quality they might be worth a look (although in some cases it would actually work out more expensive than just to get Loxley to frame a print themselves).

I would recommend finding a good, custom, bespoke framer close to home, give them a try and if they deliver the goods so to speak, stick with them. Not cheap but the difference should be clear.

I have used these people in the past- hand made to your size and preferences

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently had a couple of pieces framed, absolutely over the moon with the quality, link to their website below, ask for Patrick he's so knowledgable. One of them he floated and it's transformed it.

www.thegilders.co.uk

Back