High shutter speed with flash

I’m no expert but, you may need to use the flash to freeze the wing movement. Rather a faster shutter speed. Experiment with an f stop of f22.0 ISO 100, and the flash should fire and capture the wings.
I’m sure there will be a more knowledgeable member along shortly who will help ;)

I’m no expert but, you may need to use the flash to freeze the wing movement. Rather a faster shutter speed. Experiment with an f stop of f22.0 ISO 100, and the flash should fire and capture the wings.
I’m sure there will be a more knowledgeable member along shortly who will help ;)
Perhaps I wasn't very clear - that photo was taken with flash and there was no freezing of the wings

Perhaps I wasn't very clear - that photo was taken with flash and there was no freezing of the wings
With flash in a situation like this you have 2 elements to the exposure - the ambient light, and the flash itself.
The exposure from ambient depends on your shutter speed, but for the flash element it is the flash duration that is important.
What you need to do (I think) is first get an exposure without flash that is black - IE no image from ambient light, then get the exposure via flash with the LOWEST possible flash power - as that will be the shortest flash duration.
The alternative is that you can (if the flash supports it) use something called HSS (High Speed Sync) to change this - in HSS mode the flash fires a sequence of relatively low power flashed very rapidly - this approximates to a continuous light, and allows you to set your shutter above the max synch speed.

Maybe this article will help to explain after my poorly worded reply :)

That is what I wanted now sadly my speedlite doesn't do this but I have another flash that does.

If the shutter speed and aperture settings give a correct exposure for the background then HSS flash will not be effective as the wing motion will still be captured by the relatively long shutter speed and the wings will still be somewhat blurred. Using the flash on a low power setting gives a very short flash duration (approx 0.1 milliseconds or 1/10000 sec) and, in conjunction with a small aperture that will not register the background, will definitely stop the wing motion however, if the photographer wants to show the background as well then that's a whole new ball game. For what it's worth I offer this based on my experiences and of course others may have different ones.
Good luck with your shooting @davholla , it can be very frustrating but also very rewarding when you nail 'that shot'. :)

I have a little problem my Canon 270EX does not support HSS but its size is perfect for my Canon 60 mm.
Are there any flashes of the same size but that do support HSS?

I have a little problem my Canon 270EX does not support HSS but its size is perfect for my Canon 60 mm.
Are there any flashes of the same size but that do support HSS?
The Godox TT350 or V350 is probably what you want - it's the same 2-battery flash size as the Canon. The V350 is the same as the TT350 but with a dedicated Li-Ion battery, giving it a faster recharge and more shots per charge, but you are restricted to using the specific battery.

Can I ask what mode you are using in the camera , Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority or Manual?

Back