High Speed - Breaking Glass

Name
Euge
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I have been playing about with a Raspberry Pi and using it to trigger water drops and now want to move onto a more destructive project! I have the sound trigger configured to fire the flash and the ability to put a delay in so the challenge I have is how to light the glass as it breaks.

I have run a quick search but didn't get anything so just after some pointers really as I havent really shot glass type objects in the past... I was thinking using a flash behind the 'glass' and shoot through a diffuser of some sorts?

If I get the lighting nailed for the object 'static' will that same setup work when its being smashed up?

In terms of kit I have a 580EX2 and a Cheapo Flash... would prefer to try and light it with a single strobe... I also have some studio lights but dont think they will freeze the action like a flash?

Cheers
Euge

I would think backlit is the way to go. This one is lit by a single flash off to one side of the glass and bounced off a sheet of white card to create a larger light source (it was shot in the kitchen sink)

This glass is only a couple of inches high, but you get the idea

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/gallery/albums/daves-bits-pieces.142/

Dave

And I STILL don't know how to insert the photos that I upload to TP !!! lol

Back