Highland Bull on Skye

Bog

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
8330602102_475dfe7b56_b.jpg

Captured this Bull last Feb whilst on honeymoon on Skye, hope you like it!

Just proves everyone's different.

There's nothing about it I like, sorry.

To my eye, and my taste of course, It's way over-processed, the bull is too central and looks like a statue with no life in it. The sharp foreground with the fuzzy background makes it look like one of those faux 3d pics from the 1970s

But, if it's what you like and were after, ignore me - just my very amateur opinion.

Hi Andy , a bit on info on what you have done PP wise would help as i am not sure about the shot either,i like the depth of field but not the processing ,would be nice to see the origanal to make a comparisson...

well thanks for the feedback.

Sorry I posted it in a bit of a rush and didn't give any information around the pic. It is a HDR image taken at 5pm on a February afternoon so the sun was dipping. The only way I could get the range of light for the background which was in the sun to the foreground which was very much in the shade was to blend 3 images.

here is a single image from the set
8333236940_c9e7c767ce_b.jpg

I've noticed that HDR gets mixed views here and of course everyone is entitled to their opinion which I respect. That's the great thing about sharing for comment, you get different views and you can (and must) learn from others, otherwise you never develop, so I am able to take criticisms of both my photography and pp. Maybe I should have posted it in Creative forum though given it's had some HDR pp work?

I love the ability of HDR to cover a broader range of light than cameras are able to handle through a single image. I also love some of the experimenting you can do with an image, i love photography and love PP too. Yes I agree this is a bit over processed, i love the textures in the bull's coat but for me the image is still a bit oversaturated even though i scaled that down.

What do you think of the B&W conversion?
8075198520_7dcdc1eae5_b.jpg

Dennis your wildlife images are stunning by the way!

well thanks for the feedback.

Sorry I posted it in a bit of a rush and didn't give any information around the pic. It is a HDR image taken at 5pm on a February afternoon so the sun was dipping. The only way I could get the range of light for the background which was in the sun to the foreground which was very much in the shade was to blend 3 images.

I'm a fan of HDR but realise that it has its limitations/boundaries ... this pic has IMO gone beyond the boundaries in processing as evidenced by the haloing around the horns for example and the extreme colouration. Although the B&W has less extreme of the above it is still affected by the same HDR problems (problems I've also created on many occasions).
I'm not against the central aspect of the beast as being head on and with the symmetry of the horns and the mountain peaks, in this instance I think it is acceptable.
I note your comment about the textures in the coat and I think this is a very important aspect of the beast and hence needs to be captured.
I did a quick edit of your original, shadow/highlights and a bit of graduated neutral density and came up with a pic that I think reflects well on the beast itself and is more visually acceptable ... though of course others may disagree.
I edited as you have the edit box ticked but even so if you would prefer me to take it down just let me know. :)

8333236940_c9e7c767ce_b_zpsabe0216d.jpg

Great job Gramps, more than happy for you to edit and leave up

I'll go back to that original image and spend some time on it, maybe add a bit more contrast? I cropped out the rock in the foreground too which I presume you would agree with as it's a bit distracting?

Andy

I much prefer the original image over the PP'd one.

Gramps' edit is far less painful on the eyes :)

I'm not a fan, way too much sharpening going on there.

The fact that it has a higher dynamic range isn't the problem, it's the sharpening that's the issue...

I'm not apposed to heavy sharpening - you only have to check a couple of my images... I just don't think it works here.

Last edited:
Like many others, I can accept HDR when it's used as a means to an end, rather than when it becomes an end in itself - the "Jurassic Park conundrum" of being too busy finding out what you COULD do to stop and ask yourself whether you SHOULD.

I do like the symmetry in the composition of the image and I like the treatment given it by gramps. :)

I really like the HDR first one works really well for me, showed wife and her first words were wow just shows difference in people's tastes and the marmite attitude towards HDR :)

This capture and the HDR application works well ..... it creates an image well worthy of comment and discussion ... well done.
Cheers
mac

Back