Hiking shoes - whose to buy?

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
I need some decent hiking shoes suitable for summer conditions and adequate for 5 hours+ of walking. In the more recent past I've used running shoes, heavier walking boots and ordinary shoes with a stiff sole, but not surprisingly none of these are really satisfactory. I'd started looking at Merrells, but there seems to be problems with many of the shoes splitting after a fairly short period. Other candidates include Columbia and Grisport - I've not looked at Salomon because a pair I had in the past were not comfortable and seemed to be poorly constructed. I'd prefer not to spend more than £100.

Any thoughts on what's good & what to avoid?

My method has always been to find a shop with extensive choice then work my way up the price range until I find a pair that are very comfortable. I then wear them for a couple of weeks and if they're still very comfortable and not falling apart, I but another pair! I have slightly odd feet so if I find a make/model whose last is the right shape for me, I take advantage.

Current ones are North Face which came from an outlet store for less than 1/2 price - worth the 50 mile each way drive to get the second pair!

https://www.grisport.co.uk/
Exactly what you are looking for I have used them for years. look at their walking boot range. I also wear socks by

https://www.bridgedale.com/mens

something like this

https://www.bridgedale.com/710-096-hike-lightweight-ankle

well worth the bit extra to compliment the walking boots and never seen to wear out

boots have a good tread on them. This is a one I have not even worn yet not heavy to wear and oh so comfortable even for the first time
vCbGFT1.jpg

Last edited:
I can only say what works for me and attest to their durability, no idea if these would suit you though.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meindl-Rap...ocphy=1007101&hvtargid=pla-717736212162&psc=1

Walked many miles in mine and they are still in good nick and waterproof as well
Wear them for all my travels in all seasons, soles don't seem to mind any terrain including city streets
I have Meindl boots as well, no issues with their durability either unlike some others I have had over the years
Not the cheapest, but probably are about the same cost when you take into account how long they last

Last edited:
I prefer boots to shoes as they don't hold the mud and easy to clean being leather, at least ones I use are and give more support

It's definitely worth going to a proper shop and trying some on, they're very different shapes. Meindl and Keen work for me, but they're both quite wide. If you're anywhere near Cambridge, I can't recommend Open Air highly enough, they're brilliant.

Boots are nearly as important as the camera....... The key is to get ones that really fit your feet, and that can mean good staff in the shop. For example, the staff in Cotswold in Betws y Coed are very thorough and helpful. You pay more, maybe, but it can really be worth it. Now I have wide feet, so Meindl fit well but Scarpa don't. For cheaper, I go to Field and Trek and just try a number of Karrimors.

It's definitely worth going to a proper shop and trying some on, they're very different shapes. Meindl and Keen work for me, but they're both quite wide. If you're anywhere near Cambridge, I can't recommend Open Air highly enough, they're brilliant.

Where mine came from and yes they are good in there for getting the right fitting shoe or boot.
Useless when I went in the Cambridge branch of Cotswold Outdoor, think its pot luck if your local shop has knowledgeable staff
As you get older your feet spread, i'm a good half size more now so accurate fitting is very important

Last edited:
As has been said you need to be trying them on but for anything decent you will be looking at around £100, a weekend photography trip to the lake district and call into Ambleside which has more outdoor gear shops than you can shake a stick at could be worth while.

I am out every day. 5-7km. When I'm lucky, I get out to Delamere for 3-4 hours. Some days I run, some days I walk with camera.

Summer/Dry conditions: Saloman GTX Pro (XA Pro 3d I think) running shoes. Lightweight, comfy. On my 2nd pair after the first pair wore out. They don't fair well in wet conditions and don't give you great traction on muddy/slippery ground, but I'll reach for these any time I'm going to be on my feet for a few hours when it's not very wet conditions - running, cycling or walking.
Winter/Mud: Saloman Outpath Pro Walking Boots. Lightweight, comfy, faff to put on (I've stripped the laces out and just use the zip). With the built in outer liner over a shoe, you get less "hard" ankle support that you get with a formal boot, which gives you flexibility and more support than a plain shoe. I've run 5k in these in the wet and will be ordering another pair when they die. Because of the liner, you get no bits in your shoe as well.

I've had various sets of walking boots/trail shoes over the years, and always struggled to get the balance between durability, comfort and weight. The Saloman shoes are just fab. Also, they have a 2yr guarantee which I've claimed on with one pair (after 18 months). Got a voucher for a brand new replacement. Great aftercare too.

I'm with the OP here, only had one pair of Salomon boots and they were less than great.
Ceased to be waterproof after a couple of years despite being proofed at regular intervals
Got 50% back as a good will gesture, spent it on my first pair of Meindl's and never looked back
Still got the Salomons, keep them for things like knocking up cement or other diy stuff

Some very good advice in this thread. Good fit is the most important thing, as everyone agrees, and that means going to a well stocked shop with knowledgeable staff. Take the socks you intend to wear with you, and I suggest going in the later afternoon because your feet tend to swell as the day goes on.

Make sure the boots/shoes are comfortable for length and width, the latter is important too. Some of the Continental brands are quite narrow, which suits me very well, but experience suggests that this isn't the norm in the UK.

Cotswold normally allow returns/exchanges for 30 days providing you haven't worn the boots/shoes outdoors, which gives you a good chance to try them out over a period. Not sure about other outlets but is worth checking before purchase.

Ignore brand names, they don't really help you much (is Canon better than Sony?).

I'd try not to get too bogged down by price even though that's not easy. I have a pair of boots I bought in 1982 (£89 after a nice club discount from Climber & Rambler at Betws). Rarely used now but they still fit, are still waterproof (impregnated with real nikwax not the chemical crap they now sell). Expensive but in terms of mileage covered and years used far cheaper than any of the modern high performance ones I've used recently.

Get boots/shoes that fit properly and are designed for the type of terrain you expect to use them on as this will affect how rigid the sole needs to be as well as the tread design.
Go shopping for them towards the end of the day if possible. Preferably one when you've been active as this means your feet will be at their 'biggest'. Your walking boots must fit your feet at the end of the days walking.
Try them on, with foot in boot tilt to ensure heel is at the back and lace firmly. Walk around for a good few minutes (peruse other items and discovery that photography isn't necessarily as expensive as it seemed). After doing that make use of those little ramps...tiny steps on the upslope using the toes not the flat boot, along with stamping downward steps. Do both several times as it will show you if your foot is slipping or lifting in the boot...both indicate a poor fit. A good way to guage the internal size of walking boot you need is with the insole...length of your foot plus the thickness of your middle finger.

If at any point they aren't comfortable then move to the next pair. If they are uncomfortable after 20 minutes you won't last a day out.

Good quality socks will help your feet breathe which will aid comfort. I have used Bridgedale for a product evaluation and they were good. In my case I'd certainly not say they felt any better than my mauve wool socks (plain purple Welsh wool, never any other colour as they aren't as comfortable...a FACT I discovered when on a caving expedition when at uni).

I use different boots for different purposes and different times of year. The brands and models are irrelevant as you won't be using my feet.

In all cases I go for above ankle designs for the extra support against slight twists as well as impact protection.

The above may help...or maybe it won't. It reminded me of my first pair of hiking boots which I was given when I was four. I'd just done my first mountain and was hooked.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nod
I have a pair of Meindl boots (Kansas GTX) for muddy/wet conditions and I trail run/hike in a pair of Arc’Teryx Norvan LDs which can be had for around £100. If you have wider feet I’d suggest sizing up at least a half size though.

Thanks everyone who took the time to read my questions and respond. There's a Cotswold outdoor store nearby (take a reasonably priced item, add a 'brand' logo and treble/quadruple the price) and a Milletts (slightly dingy with mildly depressed students running the place). My present walking boots came from Milletts, and after 10 years, the rubberised areas are flaking, but they're still otherwise good - just too stiff, heavy and hot for a summer shoe.

I may order a couple of pairs of Grisport in different sizes to try at home, maybe a couple of Columbia too. Meindls sound interesting, but are pretty much at the top of what I'm willing to spend.

I walk something over 2k miles a year. New pair of boots needed every year.

My technique is to go to Go Outdoors. Budget £100. Buy whatever brand is currently on sale.
As others have said fit is the key thing to get right. Use that slope thing to check toes going downhill.
The one and only time I bought on the internet I lost both big toenails from the descent of The
Old Man of Coniston.

For summer take a look at the Berghaus Mens Hillmaster II GTX Walking Boots available for £90. Plus whatever boot you purchased, i'd recommend a good pair of sculptured insoles to replace the standard supplied.

The one and only time I bought on the internet I lost both big toenails from the descent of The
Old Man of Coniston.

Toenails are a funny thing. I was fine running up to around 11 miles, but in a subsequent half marathon ended up losing one and making a mess of a couple of others such that the beds haven't returned to normal. Decent quality, properly fitted shoes too, and on flatter ground that I trained over.

I need some decent hiking shoes suitable for summer conditions and adequate for 5 hours+ of walking. In the more recent past I've used running shoes, heavier walking boots and ordinary shoes with a stiff sole, but not surprisingly none of these are really satisfactory. I'd started looking at Merrells, but there seems to be problems with many of the shoes splitting after a fairly short period. Other candidates include Columbia and Grisport - I've not looked at Salomon because a pair I had in the past were not comfortable and seemed to be poorly constructed. I'd prefer not to spend more than £100.

Any thoughts on what's good & what to avoid?

I had similar problems with Merrell, although I do find the very comfortable. I wear a pair of Hanwag boots now. Not that cheap but do have a reputation for outlasting their owners. Really comfy too

Another vote for Altbergs - they are hand made in Yorkshire. You can get them at bargain pices though (£200+ usually) - but they can be rebuilt rather than having to buy new. I have one pair of their motorcycle boots, which I use for walking in too - ride there ad then hike, then ride back. I also have a pair of their hiking boots, bought this year, I wish I had bought them 25 years ago! Like wearing slippers and for proper leather boots, light. Mine are NOT goretex, they keep the water out provided you don't get it over the top but they do keep my feet dry, warm and free of blisters. Have a look on their website about them..... there are plenty available from other sources, proper Altbergs, just from 'service issue' that are being sold on. Mine came from an ambulance paramedic, they were service issue, brand new, still in the box with the tissue in them and the laces not even unravelled..... just as if they had come from the shop. £80 I paid for them. You just need to know what size and fitment you are.

I've been happy with Merrell Moab shoes but they don't last that well. Goretex, in my view, is a must as there is nothing worse than cold and/or wet feet.

Second the comments re fitting. It's important the boot fits comfortably.

Last edited:
Try some on in a decent shop and get the ones that are most comfortable and suit your needs.

Brand wise my favourites are currently Saloman and Scarpa, both have worn well and not let me down yet. Least favourite have been Merrell and North Face which either leaked or didn't stand up to wear and tear.

I've got Salomon walking shoes (non waterproof ones) and boots (waterproof ones) - both are comfortable. Both pairs cost me less than £100 too - I like an outdoor wear sale.

I plan a store visit tomorrow, so thanks everyone.

Its worth checking the prices at Go Outdoors and then seeing if you can find cheaper... they will beat any price by 10% I ended up getting my £130 Saloman walking shoes for £80 something

Thanks Justin.

Spent a disappointing morning at Milletts and Cotswolds. Milletts had a decent range on display, but limited stocks and no half sizes. Best was a pair of North Face shoes, but the construction was very plasticky and the fit was not completely comfy. Wandered over to Cotswolds: stock was much more limited, and the same shoes, where they had them, were more expensive.

I may go back for the North Face shoes, but may well just order online and see what fits. Merrell size 10 was too short, NF size 9 pretty good. I usually take a 9-10 depending on make.

Inov8 trail shoes for me, I have a pair for trail running and a pair for hiking, both have coped comfortably with 30 mile walks over rough and hilly terrain and in some dreadful conditions. Their range is huge, I was fortunate enough to try a sample pair at a 14 mile trail event a few years ago and haven't looked back.

Thanks Justin.

Spent a disappointing morning at Milletts and Cotswolds. Milletts had a decent range on display, but limited stocks and no half sizes. Best was a pair of North Face shoes, but the construction was very plasticky and the fit was not completely comfy. Wandered over to Cotswolds: stock was much more limited, and the same shoes, where they had them, were more expensive.

I may go back for the North Face shoes, but may well just order online and see what fits. Merrell size 10 was too short, NF size 9 pretty good. I usually take a 9-10 depending on make.

Have a look at Go Outdoors. Depending on the size of the store they often have a large range.

Dave

Have a look at Go Outdoors. Depending on the size of the store they often have a large range.

Dave

Seconded - and they're decent on price.

Don't, whatever you do, settle for a shoe that doesn't fit completely comfortably. For me it's the Merrel Moab but I've had to take on the chin they don't last as long as the Mendl's I had before.

I tried Moab 2s this morning - initially felt good until after walking around the store for a couple of minutes I realised my toes were touching the end of the shoe, and although there was much more width than I needed in the toe box, the shoe felt distinctly short. A larger size would have been too wide. The shoes that 'almost' made it were Northface Litewave Fast Packs - apart from the plasticky feel they're also ugly as sin, though I could put up with that for a 'perfect' shoe.

There's a Go store in Abingdon road, Oxford, about 30min away, and that's my next port of call.

Last edited:
I tried Moab 2s this morning - initially felt good until after walking around the store for a couple of minutes I realised my toes were touching the end of the shoe, and although there was much more width than I needed in the toe box, the shoe felt distinctly short. A larger size would have been too wide. The shoes that 'almost' made it were Northface Litewave Fast Packs - apart from the plasticky feel they're also ugly as sin, though I could put up with that for a 'perfect' shoe.

There's a Go store in Abingdon road, Oxford, about 30min away, and that's my next port of call.

Ah - I have a very broad foot - was a width H in childrens shoes. The moab works for me for this reason but not for you.

Meindhl have a good reputation. There will be a shoe out there for you.

Columbia conspiracy IIIs in size 10 were pretty much perfect fit, comfy and (just) within budget. They are supposed to be waterproof, but are a summer shoe just as I wanted.

Ah - I have a very broad foot - was a width H in childrens shoes.

I have very long, thin feet, so I quite agree. :)

I get all my boots and stuff from Lockwoods in Leamington Spa, They offer a fantastic custom fitting service with very skilled and knowledgable staff.. I believe people come from all around the world for their ski boot service.?

I had a pair of north face hedgehog gtx that lasted years but be careful which you buy if you do the vibram sole ones are much better and gore tex but not so sure the newer versions are as good as the originals, the insole though is average and the are better insoles around.

try Gaynors some bargains sometimes on line

Last edited:
I wear Salomon almost exclusively. Boots, shoes and trainers, all Salomon.

I do have a couple of pairs of “going out” shoes but everything else is Salomon. Most comfortable thing I’ve ever put on my feet, I do about 6 miles a day in either boots or shoes.

I wear Salomon almost exclusively. Boots, shoes and trainers, all Salomon.
You're a novice, matey. Very few of these things last. Anything with fabric panels is crap and will leak nylon particles into the environment in quick-time. Shops are full of products that are a triumph of marketing over environmental care.

Back