Hilite lastolite portabilty Q

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
Yes
How portable is it (6x7') and how quickly/easily does it unpack/pack up? What sort of time to set up the lastolite, train and lights ready for action?

Cheers.

I have the bigger version. its about 4ft in diameter, it sets up in about 3-4 minutes, then another few minutes to put your lights in the slots.
Packing up is a different story though, takes a long time the first few goes, then it gets easier. About 5 mins to put away.
Dean:)

I've done it that many times i can set it up ready to go, train on, lights balanced etc in around 20 mins, could probably do it quicker in a bigger space but i use it in peoples homes so can't really throw it around as easily as i could in say an event hall.

You'll have fun packing it away the first few times you do it though it's a bit of an art form.

Have been looking at the vids and will be getting a set up at the back end of the year. Can you get away with 4 lights - 2 in the hilite, 1 at the train and 1 at the subject without having to pp? Thinking Lencarta smartflash heads...........

They are great for what they are Adrian...I have the small one and the large one....both very very useful and as the other guys have said, very easy once you get the knack of it ...20 mins is a fair time to arive and then be shooting ...And ultra portable !

Normally takes me about 30 mins to set up with all the lights and bits, but a lot of that is due to talking to the clients whilst i'm doing it, packing away is a different ball game i always seem to have problems, i've only done it in one a couple of times and i've watched all the videos going, i think i need to go on a course just for packing it away :LOL:

I have the 6x7ft version. excellent piece of kit, and with the bottletops (or homemade versions made by better half) extremely versatile.

Setting up dead easy. Putting away took me about 30 mins the first time, and i didn;t do it properly which resulted in me twisting the metal tape inside, so the next time i put it up, it wouldn't stand. Layed it on the floor and run my fingers around the edge to find the twist, and with a flick, it was back to normal. Had to watch a youtube video a few times to get the hang of folding up, but once you get it, it's easy. well worth the investment.

I definitely recommend watching the youtube vid, don't try & follow lastolite's instructions :bang:

I use mine with 4 SB900's, softbox & brolly & I can set the lot up in 15-20 mins, i'm not a tall strong man either :naughty:

I definitely recommend watching the youtube vid, don't try & follow lastolite's instructions :bang:

I use mine with 4 SB900's, softbox & brolly & I can set the lot up in 15-20 mins, i'm not a tall strong man either :naughty:

Can you post an example using the speedlites Steff...I have thought about this myself but i have been advised agaist it ..for several reasons...are you using extra battery packs inside the Hi-lite with those guns ?

Everytime it's mentioned about folding a pop up background this always comes into my head lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in8l6TyvYhM&feature=related

I have a Flash In The Pan copy and the first couple of times it took ages to fold it up , but the last time it took about 5 mins . I found that the trick was to wedge one end and just keep twisting the other . Also try to get out as much air as possible before trying to put it away .

Can you post an example using the speedlites Steff...I have thought about this myself but i have been advised agaist it ..for several reasons...are you using extra battery packs inside the Hi-lite with those guns ?

All the pics on #5, #8 & #9 here are taken with the hilite. Some more on here but it's facebook & i think you may need to be my friend to see them :shrug:

It is costly and I reckon we could of got away with lesser model speedlites for at least 2 of the speedlites but hey, we've got them now. We also use the Lastolite Ezybox as the softbox.

I use the Eneloop rechargeable batteries in the 4 SB900's. I have some pp to do on the floor as it turns out off white/grey but it's minimal

HTH

Last edited:
15-20 mins to set up. 10 mins to pack including dismounting lights. I can fold a hilite in under 20 seconds ;) (I don't have the train)

However, they are big and heavy when folded. You won't want to be a long way from the car.

I have both the larger and smaller Hilites in my van at all times... and they've got me out of holes on a few occasions.

Only ever lit the smaller one once with 2 SB800's but it wasnt hard.

Back