Hiring a 800mm Canon lens for 5 days!

Edit My Images
Yes
To see what a long lens is like! My current longest is 70 - 300mm DO - should bring those birds closer!

Mel

Be careful ... it could be addictive!

Just a few thoughts ….. Prepare as well as you can
familiar with the place where you are going to use it and birds to be expected
Chose time of day if you are going anywhere "tidal"
Satisfactory weather forecast
Very good tripod and Gimbal
Choose a period when you hope that there will not be few people
keep away from School trips if you are using a nature reserve
Think about "renting" a (fixed) hide if that is possible

Trolley! Possibly! It's a one-off - I am never going to spend £10k on a lens - I might stretch to a 150-600 Tamron when it's avaialble "off the shelf" and I can try it and compare images.

Much debate about the cost of exotic lens - they do cost a lot to make and the more you get "into it" the more you want one and justify in your own mind the cost

My next long lens purchase will be an £8k lens and I'm now almost happy with the value/price

Last edited:
Much debate about the cost of exotic lens - they do cost a lot to make and the more you get "into it" the more you want one and justify in your own mid the cost

My next long lens purchase will be an £8k lens and I'm now almost happy with the value/price
Agree with this. The more you get into it the more you want. I had all the lenses I ever wanted and have just started to sell a few off to update them in a few weeks time. It won't make my pics any better as I already had top equipment but it allows me to replace with newer equipment- I must be mad!

I own an 800mm, it's a heavy lens but i have gotten used to handholding it (and I'm not the biggest bloke!)- it's honestly the best lens i have ever used for bird photography, hands-down. You'll love it. :)

Back