Hiring a lens...

Edit My Images
No
I'm thinking of hiring a Sony mount 100-400 (probably Sony version) for some hide days and a week on Mull to accompany my 200-600.

What's the craic? Where am I best getting it from? Do I need insurance?

I'm leaving home on Good Friday (7th) and back the following Sunday (16th). How does delivery/return usually work? I'd like it to arrive on the 6th and return it on the 17th. Do you end up paying for those days?

Thanks in advance

Have a look here

I believe insurance etc is covered in the price.

Stewart was a member on the forum, not sure if he still is active or not.

Stewart was a member on the forum, not sure if he still is active or not.
Stewart no longer owns Lens for hire, he was bought out a couple of years ago, although he still remains part of the company.
He was last seen here, Dec. 2022 but hasn't posted in nearly 2 years.

I guess all that's left is company recommendations from people who've used them.
While they were part of our advertises scheme, and had a thread, I never saw a bad word posted about them, quite the contrary .
But of course who knows now.

@StewartR was a ground breaking entrepreneur and IIRC I was one of the early hirers in his first 6 months. I also met him when I collected (or was returned a lens) and had a chat.....a nice and helpful guy and company at that time.

I would hope the ethos continues even if not under his ownership!

Reactions: Nod
I've used lenses for hire many times. Excellent service

I have also used them in the past and they were good.

Do Sony hire direct? I know Fuji and Canon do.

Used LFH several times over the years, never an issue. Reasonable prices and very flexible service.

I've used LFH several times now over around 6 years and the service has always been fantastic. Most recent hire was in September 2022, where they arranged to have a lens delivered to me at Heathrow before my flight to Canada, and then sent the return packaging to my address in Shetland for the return.
It's a very slick process with very well packaged equipment.
You get a good bit of leeway for dates, you'd usually receive the gear at least a day, sometimes two before you need it, and then you'd normally post it back the day after your hire period ends

Thank you all.

How does return postage work usually?
You can either return it via your own means, or you can have them collect it via dpd. You can also take it to a dpd pickup location I'm sure. All of these options are at your own expense. I found that having them arrange the dpd return is best - the cost is added to your rental at checkout

Back