History revisited

Name
Ajith
Edit My Images
Yes
Natural history museum, while on a day out with the family.

9054954331_b11d7e7b85_b.jpg

C&C welcome as always, thanks.

good black to white and for me not too busy ...just perfect for interest
is that the one in london?
it looks familiar

cheers
geof

good black to white and for me not too busy ...just perfect for interest
is that the one in london?
it looks familiar

cheers
geof

Thanks Geoff, that's right, in London.

Is this low-level HDR? Works well, nice conversion.

Thank you, I didn't use any explicit conversion for HDR, camera is too old for that too. Just added a bit of contrast in LR.

Thank you, I didn't use any explicit conversion for HDR, camera is too old for that too. Just added a bit of contrast in LR.

if your camera is digital you can set it up for hdr

usually 5-7 shots are taken at varying degrees of exposure from exposing for shadows up to highlights
then a sandwich is made of the identical but varying exposure shots..all at the same f no
and the sandwich is put into hdr software and the levels adjusted to up the shadows and down the highlights...i think
i have tried it not with any success yet...but i am not clear if black to white is a candidate for this
compare your television programme in normal then HD..if you have a set for it..to see the clarity and detail changes

i now stand back to await the real explanations from others

cheers
geof

if your camera is digital you can set it up for hdr

usually 5-7 shots are taken at varying degrees of exposure from exposing for shadows up to highlights
then a sandwich is made of the identical but varying exposure shots..all at the same f no
and the sandwich is put into hdr software and the levels adjusted to up the shadows and down the highlights...i think
i have tried it not with any success yet...but i am not clear if black to white is a candidate for this
compare your television programme in normal then HD..if you have a set for it..to see the clarity and detail changes

i now stand back to await the real explanations from others

cheers
geof

Thanks for the detailed note Geoff, if there is one function that I haven't used much on my d90, it is the bracketing feature. I believe this is what you meant?
I think mine takes three shots with varying exposure levels, never tried it with the intention of producing an HDR image, but now I have an inspiration.
Will definitely give it a go at the next opportunity.

Thanks for the detailed note Geoff, if there is one function that I haven't used much on my d90, it is the bracketing feature. I believe this is what you meant?
I think mine takes three shots with varying exposure levels, never tried it with the intention of producing an HDR image, but now I have an inspiration.
Will definitely give it a go at the next opportunity.

you dont set bracketing but do them manually
take an average reading of the shot...that is mid point
using aperture priority or manual which really is best for all photography
under expose 3 shots at 1 stop each and similar over expose
you get 7 shots...or nine or whatever....of the same shot at a spread of exposure
use a tripod
and if you get hdr software then that will combine the images to enable work to be done on the final image to give the hdr effect

hell i havent done one in over a year...i think i will do one to see if what i am saying really works

cheers
geof

you dont set bracketing but do them manually
take an average reading of the shot...that is mid point
using aperture priority or manual which really is best for all photography
under expose 3 shots at 1 stop each and similar over expose
you get 7 shots...or nine or whatever....of the same shot at a spread of exposure
use a tripod
and if you get hdr software then that will combine the images to enable work to be done on the final image to give the hdr effect

hell i havent done one in over a year...i think i will do one to see if what i am saying really works

cheers
geof

Never tried with that many shots, well there's a challenge.
Need to get a decent travel tripod, mine is just too heavy and bulky to carry around (hardly take it outside these days).
Thanks for the tips, look forward to seeing your HDR shots..

Forget the HDR, this is just fine. I know I originally raised the subject, but it really is a path to qualitative ruin. When you have got good tones all the way through the range from deep shadow to clean, unblown highlights there is absolutely no need to go and spoil it all!

I'll take it as a compliment ;-) thanks.
I actually like b&w, came across a flickr stream recently where someone had done amazing retouching on b&w images, they didn't have any HDR look and feel, just toning may be. Truly marvellous..

Back