Hit and run by a cyclist! What can we do?

Ah, adding bits to the equation.

Let’s add the thousands of extra deaths caused by motor vehicle pollution, the environmental damage (oil, other fluids, brake dust, tyre crumbs), the health disbenefits of driving (fatties with diabetes, heart disease, etc.), the monstrous waste of world resource that is a Vanity Tank carrying one person, then factor in the health benefits of cycling (cardiovascular fitness, weight loss etc.) and the social benefits (connected with environment, transport on a human scale etc.)

There’s a nasty anti-cycling culture in this country that is completely out of proportion.

Let's address such sweeping assumptions, shall we?
Motor vehicle pollution: Yes, I'm sure cyclists enjoy sucking that up.
Fatties with Diabetes: You don't specify which type, but I'm going assume you mean type 2. Not everyone with type 2 is a fatty. Not at all. And not all fat people have diabetes. But hey, let's not get your ignorance get in the way.
Fatties with heart disease. Oh dear. You understand less about heart diseae than you do about Diabetes. The majority isn't weight related.
Vanity Tanks: Really. What about people (let's say thin ones, since you're so anti fat) who live alone. Those with illness or disability who aren't able to travel far by foot. Those whose commute isn't served by public transport, close colleagues or is simply very long?
Social benefits/human scale: give us a clue what you're waffling about.
People aren't anti cyclist. They're anti nut job cyclist, the same way as they're anti nut job driver.
You really smack of an armchair environmentalist.

Fatties with Diabetes: You don't specify which type, but I'm going assume you mean type 2. Not everyone with type 2 is a fatty. Not at all. And not all fat people have diabetes. But hey, let's not get your ignorance get in the way.
Fatties with heart disease. Oh dear. You understand less about heart diseae than you do about Diabetes. The majority isn't weight related.
Vanity Tanks: Really. What about people (let's say thin ones, since you're so anti fat) who live alone. Those with illness or disability who aren't able to travel far by foot. Those whose commute isn't served by public transport, close colleagues or is simply very long?
People aren't anti cyclist. They're anti nut job cyclist, the same way as they're anti nut job driver.

Not to mention the fact that if I go to Waitrose how do I navigate the M11 on a bike, and how do i bring back 6 bags of shopping!

Not to mention the fact that if I go to Waitrose how do I navigate the M11 on a bike, and how do i bring back 6 bags of shopping!

you attach one of those cycle trailers (used mainly to carry children) and cycle on the hard shoulder. Problem solved :D

Oh goodness, so many fallacies in such a short post.

Out of interest, why should a thin person who lives alone have to drive a Vanity Tank? You didn’t explain that.

Out of interest, why should a thin person who lives alone have to drive a Vanity Tank? You didn’t explain that.

Quite simple really - to get to work
I lived in a remote area with very little public transport, work unsociable hours
so a car is necessity not a vanity, well unless you prefer people to go on benefits

Can I ask, do you walk everywhere of cycle, do you own a car ?

Read it again, because yes, I did.
So come on, ecowarrior, which fallacies?

Quite simple really - to get to work
I lived in a remote area with very little public transport, work unsociable hours
so a car is necessity not a vanity, well unless you prefer people to go on benefits

Can I ask, do you walk everywhere of cycle, do you own a car ?

But why do you need a Vanity Tank, why not a normal car?

Nah, doesn't wash with me. Unless they were shouting at him or something then their presence alone doesn't warrant being threatened, especially if he had allegedly done nothing wrong. I don't think I've ever come across a cyclist who would be so easily spooked. Quite the opposite, they all seem to be "at the ready" to mouth off and get violent at the least wee thing - regardless of fault. I reckon it's more like there was a significant number of witnesses and he was getting the hell out of there! lol

Talk about a generalisation, you have just run the flag up and showed your true colours.

I have no experience of the one you mention specifically, but around here the roads are (shockingly) generally safer than cycle lanes. Random obstructions, poor maintenance, shared with wandering adults / kids / dogs, often retarded routing of lanes etc.

Cyclists aren't obligated to use cycle lanes, and for fair reason a lot aren't fit for purpose.

The biggest problem around my area - Kent - seems to be cars parked in cycle lanes, which then forces cyclists to move further into the road. The worst cycle lanes are the shared ones, where pedestrians and cyclists alike don't seem to take any notice of the boundary lines, or the lane amrkings have been worn away. The other rule which needs to be changed is having cycle lanes with broken lines, because this is a loophole which drivers will take advantage of. IMHO all cycle lanes should have solid white lines.

Because they want to??? Some people like cars and like big ones, soft tops, fast ones etc...

Here's a nice one...

I was just getting off the bus in Cambridge, the bus driver didn't open the door for like 10-15 seconds and the guy at the front gave him a look.
The driver said there were cyclists coming down and that he'd get done if one of us had an accident while getting down.

So now its driver fault for opening the bus doors at a bus stop? :facepalm:

Talk about a generalisation, you have just run the flag up and showed your true colours.

Not in my experience, which is most relevant to me.

You certainly think a lot of yourself if you think I've been previously trying to hide my "true colours" Behave yourself lol

The other rule which needs to be changed is having cycle lanes with broken lines, because this is a loophole which drivers will take advantage of.

Look who is generalising now ;)

You really onl6 have to read some of the replies on here to realise why a growing number of people are starting to despise cyclists

Not to a puce-faced name caller, no. :p

Your reply doesn't even make sense.
So, you made random, uninformed sweeping generalisations which you can't support.
Thanks for confirming the obvious.

From the first page:

I f*****g hate cyclists , what a arrogant bunch of cretins most of them are , they seem to think that no laws or even as in this case basic human dignity apply to them .

From this page:

You really onl6 have to read some of the replies on here to realise why a growing number of people are starting to despise cyclists

Was your original user name pot, rather than fox?

Because they want to??? Some people like cars and like big ones, soft tops, fast ones etc...

Yes, that is implicit in my post. Good of you to confirm it.

From the first page:

From this page:

Was your original user name pot, rather than fox?
no but I believe its a good smoke , what else can I say but on yer bike

:woot::woot::exit::exit:

But why do you need a Vanity Tank, why not a normal car?

and you didn't answer either of my questions, got something to hide, like a car you use

Are you against people being able to do something simply because they enjoy it?

Are you happy that people should be allowed to do whatever they enjoy, whatever the consequences?

and you didn't answer either of my questions, got something to hide, like a car you use

That's OK, you don't want to answer. Back to your hide.

Are you happy that people should be allowed to do whatever they enjoy, whatever the consequences?

As long as it’s legal, then yes.

Most people drive for need, go to work, shops, events etc. I guess very few do that many miles for pleasure. So what’s the problem??

Here's a nice one...

I was just getting off the bus in Cambridge, the bus driver didn't open the door for like 10-15 seconds and the guy at the front gave him a look.
The driver said there were cyclists coming down and that he'd get done if one of us had an accident while getting down.

So now its driver fault for opening the bus doors at a bus stop? :facepalm:

No different to a car driver opening a door into traffic (or more often the path of a cyclist).

I guess very few do that many miles for pleasure. So what’s the problem??

We do a fair few miles for pleasure. Mainly in Mrs Nod's "vanity tank", although I'm not sure an M-X5 qualifies as a tank of any type!

No different to a car driver opening a door into traffic (or more often the path of a cyclist).

it is different in that we were at a bus stop which are well designated marked places where busses stop to drop-off and pick up passengers regularly. As far as I know cars don't have such an arrangement (especially not in traffic).

Back