Review Hitech Pro 10 Stop Review

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys hope u find this usefull as promissed my review of the hitech 10 stop pro. (new one)

Click the above link to view the full review with sample images. Or just read below :)

Whats New?
Hitech have started from the ground up with their new Pro 10 stop filter. The filter has been designed from scratch using a new CR39 resin which is more resistant to IR than their previous filter was. The pro 10 stop also comes with a gasket to prevent light leakage simulare to Lee’s.
Hitech (Format Filters) are made in the Welsh Valleys. All the materials used in this filter are sourced from the UK, this could possibly mean the end of the never ending queue Lee seem to “love”.
The new Pro Stop will be available in 85mm and 100mm , the 85mm will make a lot of Cokin users happy, as the 85mm filter will give them a inexpensive way of capturing long exposures. The 100mm comes with a 1.5mm gasket for Lee holders also a 3mm version will be available for Hitech holders aswel.
Lets See The Goods Then

Hitech Pro ND 10 Stop Case

Hitech Pro ND 10 Stop

Hitech Pro ND 10 Stop Gasket

The Hitech Pro 10 Stop is simular to the other Hitech filters I have previously reviewed, but built with a brand new type of resin (CR39). This helps to block out the IR that digital sensors have trouble with at long exposures. The Filters themselfs are still easy to scratch but are alot more sturdier than the glass ones, so if you drop them you may not have such an expensive bill.
The Gasket is very usefull as it stops light from leaking into the lens and ruining the shot. As I stated above, you have a few options with either a 1.5mm or a 3mm gasket dependant on your holder.
Instead of just releasing the Pro 10 Stop Hitech have created a range from 6 stops – 10 stops.
At the moment the Hitech case photographed above is the case that is supplied when you purchase the filter. Although in the future Hitech intend to supply a leather case with the filter instead.
Colour Cast

Hitech Pro ND 10 Stop Colour Cast
The Hitech Pro ND filter will produce a blue colour cast. You can see an example of this in the image to the left, It is normal as for most 10 stop filters tend to experience some sort of colour cast. If you are a Canon user, then it is easy to fix in camera by taking an exposure of a mid grey area of the scene and then selecting custom WB from the menu. If you dont have this feature then its still easy to fix in post production. You can see examples of both ways of this working below ( I tend to use a custom white balance in camera then fix any other issues in post).

Hitech Pro 10 Stop vs Standard Image (Custom White balance )

Hitech Pro ND 10 Stop Post Fix

Conclusion
The Hitech Pro 10 Stop is one to watch out for, I think that it could take over the Lee due to its availability and price. It’s £72 for the Hitech compared to Lee where their price ranges between £90-£10. Further more with Lee you tend to feel that you have to waited a lifetime to get one. The format filters have ironed out all the negative points of Hitech’s previous 10 stop filter. i.e. IR interface and colour cast and come back with a BANG with a fantastic new PRO version!
Overall I would strongly recommend that anybody looking to take up long exposure photography to purchase one of these Hitech Pro ND 10 Stop filters.

Nice review. I had the original, which gave a magenta colour cast without a custom WB. Sadly it snapped when I was removing it from my Cokin holder while on Lanzarote in January.. I will replace it next month maybe..

Back