Hitech Pro Stop 10 100mm filter light leakage with Lee holder - help!

jjt

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

So I recently bought a Hitech Prostop 10 100mm, which when fitted to my cheapie filter holder had light creeping in at the top and bottom. I have now bought a Lee Foundation holder and again the same problem exists!

So the question is... am I doing something wrong?! The only thing I can think of is that this has something to do with the gasket on the filter itself?

The attached pictures show each side when the filter is sitting bang in the middle of the holder.

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• IMG_8062.JPG
    IMG_8062.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8063.JPG
    IMG_8063.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8064.JPG
    IMG_8064.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 38
Not sure what camera you have, but it could be light leaking in from the viewfinder.

Might be worth taking a shot with the viewfinder covered with a towel or something to at least eliminate the possibility

It's too small for the holder, are you sure it's 100mm on it's shortest side?

Not sure what camera you have, but it could be light leaking in from the viewfinder.

Might be worth taking a shot with the viewfinder covered with a towel or something to at least eliminate the possibility

I have not tried taking a picture yet as the filter is not sealing around the holder!

It's too small for the holder, are you sure it's 100mm on it's shortest side?

Just measured again, the filter is definitely 100mmx100mm

Thank you both for your replies

Are you sure there is actully light leakage into it. When it is fitted to the lens it will be blocked by the adapter. My Lee 10-stopper and Lee filter holder is exactly the same.

Your photo doesn't have the adapter ring installed and I would imagine that the ring would seal the remaining gap.

Bob

I know you said 100 mm on intro but that looks like the 85mm one as your link takes me too.

C

This is with the adapter ring fitted; I thought you would have had to have zero light creeping in when fitted?!

Attachments

• IMG_8065.JPG
    IMG_8065.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 25
I know you said 100 mm on intro but that looks like the 85mm one as your link takes me too.

C

Not sure what link you mean, but i have measured at 100mm square.

Just put a filter in mine while not attached to camera and exactly the same.

Once the adapter ring is fitted it will be fine :)

Thanks for taking the time to do that; I have just uploaded a picture with the adapter ring fitted above

This is with the adapter ring fitted; I thought you would have had to have zero light creeping in when fitted?!
So what set-up is that you have in that picture? What re all the part names and makes? Have you ligned it up properly?

Last edited:
Not sure what to suggest then.

If it helps I can video mine quickly and upload it to YouTube so you can see if anything is different?

If you wouldn't mind that would be really helpful :) Thankyou David

So what set-up is that you have in that picture? What re all the part names and makes? Have you ligned it up properly?

Hitech Pro Stop 10 filter 100mmx100mm with Lee Foundation holder kit. Both bought on here

And the adapter ring?

Its an unbranded one, but the issue is that the light is coming through on both filter holders between the filter itself and the holder, not the adapter. No adapter would change this...

Its an unbranded one, but the issue is that the light is coming through on both filter holders between the filter itself and the holder, not the adapter. No adapter would change this...
The filters are not designed to seal around the filter holder on their own, they rely on the adapter ring to complate the seal and preventing the light leaking in. I don't think you are looking at this properly.

Last edited:
The filters are not designed to seal around the filter holder on their own, they rely on the adapter ring to complate the seal and preventing the light leaking in. I don't think you are looking at this properly.

OK, so is it that I am looking too much into the fact that there is a gap as this won't be visible to the camera itself?

OK, so is it that I am looking too much into the fact that there is a gap as this won't be visible to the camera itself?
Well I think you are not lining things up properly. The gap in your first image looks the same as the gap in your last, with the adapter ring fitted. When you have the gap like you are having in the picture, is there also a gap on the opposite end?

Well I think you are not lining things up properly. The gap in your first image looks the same as the gap in your last, with the adapter ring fitted. When you have the gap like you are having in the picture, is there also a gap on the opposite end?

Definitely lined up equally. Definitely equal size gap on both ends... Surely you can see that from the pictures?!

Definitely lined up equally. Definitely equal size gap on both ends... Surely you can see that from the pictures?!
I cazn see a gap at one end. What I cant see it is the gap at the other end at the same time so that is why i asked, you don't show this at the same times. Fitting the adapter ring should have made the gap smaller, it looks the same, it is hard to tell looking from the pictures.

The unknown in this is the unbranded adapter ring, maybe that is no good. I don't have the problem with all Lee kit and I don't have the problem mixing Lee and HiTech kit.

I was thinking the same to be honest. I still have a pro stop 10 filter and the Lee foundation holder but use Lee adapters. I can check mine later this evening if that helps you out. My thinking is it could be the adapter but I'm not sure.

Covering the viewfinder is definitely needed. I ruined a few hours of IR images (taken with a Hoya r72 filter so very similar to long exposures) by light leaking through the viewfinder.

Incidentally jjt, what size adapter ring is that in the pictures?

Last edited:

Thank you for taking the time David, I am very grateful.

So the image above is what I was concerned with on mine, where there is a slight gap between the foam gasket and the holder itself? But it appears yours is the same anyway?

Cheers, and thanks again

So the image above is what I was concerned with on mine, where there is a slight gap between the foam gasket and the holder itself? But it appears yours is the same anyway?

Cheers, and thanks again

Yeah that's quite normal and fine. With the adapter fitted I get no light leakage even with a 16 stop ND and a 5 minute exposure.

Cheers, and thanks again

The gap is always there. But it should disappear when a proper adapter ring is fitted.Because you claim to still have gaps when the adapter ring is fitted, it will likely be a problem.

Last edited:
Having just checked mine I agree with the above (small gap between holder and filter gasket until the adapted ring is fitted). The adapter ring seals the gap once fitted.

It's not very clear from your photos whether the adapter ring sits flush on both sides of the filter holder. Can you post photos of both sides of the filter holder with the adapter ring in place with no filter. It's the adapter ring that seals against the gasket and not filter holder.

Another point to check is if the pro stop 10 filter is in the closest slot on the filter holder. If it's in the second slot there would be a gap between the gasket and adapter ring.

My thinking is now a problem with how the unbranded adapter ring is positioned in the filter holder and how it's sealing (may not have the same surface size/width of the Lee rings)

I currently use a mixture of hitech and Lee filters in the Lee foundation holder and Lee adapter rings. I don't have a problem mixing hitech and Lee filters (ND 6,10 & 16 stop hitech filters and Lee ND grads) but I've stayed with Lee for the holder and adapter rings to ensure compatibility of the holder and adapter.

Last edited:
Where did you get the unbranded adapter ring from? Looking at the sales thread the previous owner of the foundation holder used a Lee wide angle 77mm adapter ring which was sold to someone else. Am I right in thinking the foundation holder and adapter ring didn't come as a set?

Whereabouts are you in the country? If you are near Bedfordshire you can come and try mine if it helps.

Last edited:
Having just checked mine I agree with the above (small gap between holder and filter gasket until the adapted ring is fitted). The adapter ring seals the gap once fitted.

It's not very clear from your photos whether the adapter ring sits flush on both sides of the filter holder. Can you post photos of both sides of the filter holder with the adapter ring in place with no filter. It's the adapter ring that seals against the gasket and not filter holder.

Another point to check is if the pro stop 10 filter is in the closest slot on the filter holder. If it's in the second slot there would be a gap between the gasket and adapted ring.

My thinking is now a problem with how the unbranded adapter ring is positioned in the filter holder and how it's sealing (may not have the same surface size/width of the Lee rings)

I currently use a mixture of hitech and Lee filters in the Lee foundation holder and Lee adapter rings. I don't have a problem mixing hitech and Lee filters (ND 6,10 & 16 stop hitech filters and Lee ND grads) but I've stayed with Lee for the holder and adapter rings to ensure compatibility of the holder and adapter.

Thanks for your comprehensive reply Rob. The adapter sits flush in the holder just fine - pictures attached. The filter is in the closest slot to the holder.

Perhaps the only thing that you mean with the adapter is that the ridge that protrudes into the holder needs to be deeper, so that it is touching the filter itself? Currently it is not deep enough to do this, at approx 5mm. Surface size is not the issue.

I have just been experimenting in the garden and it doesn't appear that there is any light leaking into 90 second exposures, and when I spoke to someone who worked in this area this morning they seemed to believe that it would not have a detrimental affect as the light is not directly going into the sensor.

I hope all of this makes sense!

Thanks all who have helped so far :)

Attachments

• IMG_8066.JPG
    IMG_8066.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8067.JPG
    IMG_8067.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8068.JPG
    IMG_8068.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 15
Where did you get the unbranded adapter ring from? Looking at the sales thread the previous owner of the foundation holder used a Lee wide angle 77mm adapter ring which was sold to someone else. Am I right in thinking the foundation holder and adapter ring didn't come as a set?

Whereabouts are you in the country? If you are near Bedfordshire you can come and try mine if it helps.

Just to add, that is correct. The Lee holder is perfect, the adapter is one which I got with my old holder.

Hi there. I presume this is the filter you bought from myself. Yes it was 100mm x 100mm.
I used it with a standard LEE filter holder, which I've now sold in the same thread. I never had any problems with light leaks round the filter itself. I was either a standard or wide angle ring on the lens and everything just went in fine. Must admit I never checked too closely how everything fitted together, but then I'd only do that if there had been problems.
The only area I got light leaks was through the viewfinder, so I cobbled together a blanking plate for use when I was doing long exposures.
Here's an arty farty shot I took with it...
Rape field with a 10 stopper by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

Hi there. I presume this is the filter you bought from myself. Yes it was 100mm x 100mm.
I used it with a standard LEE filter holder, which I've now sold in the same thread. I never had any problems with light leaks round the filter itself. I was either a standard or wide angle ring on the lens and everything just went in fine. Must admit I never checked too closely how everything fitted together, but then I'd only do that if there had been problems.
The only area I got light leaks was through the viewfinder, so I cobbled together a blanking plate for use when I was doing long exposures.

Hi Frank,

After speaking to a couple of retailers this morning I think I have just been reading too much into it; both the items I purchased on here were perfect, just wanted to make sure whether they were compatible or if I was doing something stupid!

Cheers

Hi Frank,

After speaking to a couple of retailers this morning I think I have just been reading too much into it; both the items I purchased on here were perfect, just wanted to make sure whether they were compatible or if I was doing something stupid!

Cheers
Good to hear that. Hope you get yoursef sorted.

Just to add, that is correct. The Lee holder is perfect, the adapter is one which I got with my old holder.

What holder were you using the adapter with? As others have said there should be no gap between the filter gasket and adapter ring when the adapter is in place. Looking at recent photos you posted I can't make out if the surfaces on the front of the filter (where the filter slots are) are flush or the adapter ring has a recess channel. If there is a recess the would be no surface for the filter gasket to seal against.

Edit: looking at your photos again it looks like your adapter ring has a 1mm front face for the filter gasket to seal against then a recessed channel. Looking online at the zomei adapter it looks like there is a recess channel at the front so you can screw in circular filters (or screw in polariser) to centre of the front face of the adapter ring.

My lee adapters have 4mm (standard adapter) and 8mm (wide angle adapter) front faces. That is most likely the reason why you are seeing a gap as the edge of the adapter ring front face is too thin. the filter gasket is not touching it and sealing the gap between filter and holder/adapter ring.

Although this gap may not cause light it hit the sensor like an open viewfinder would you may experience reflections off the inside face of the 10 stop filter. I had reflection problems when I tried to stack a 6 stop and 10 stop filters together. At short shutter speeds it wasn't a big problem, when the shutter speed got longer a faint white arc appeared at the top of the image (see image below- 263 second mid-afternoon exposure) that I think is mostly to be a reflection of lens face.

Unedited Firecrest 16 stop DSC_0767 by -Rob - Nikon-

Last edited:
Back