Critique HJ - Skintone work

Name
Kirsty
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

So obviously back to LR and learning White balance and skintone work. How does this look. Ive gave it a slight matte feel (really liking the matte look atm). I know also this is a little out of focus. This was one of my 1st ones i took with my old D3200, and was REALLY underexposed. Hoping ive done some recovery with it.

Thankyou
KView attachment 93079

It's another lovely pic but - as before - if you have to boost the exposure massively in post then any work on the colour will be difficult. It looks to have a very slightly bluish pink tinge but I'd assumed that was deliberate and part of your matte look.

Completely agreed with this Juggler, again another shot i took during my learning days and it was massively underexposed. The tint was during a matte process yes, but just messing with tutorials on that one :D

I'd agree with both sets of comments really - it's a very nice pic, and if it is slightly OOF then it doesn't really show at this size. However there's no chance of really getting an idea about skin tones when an image has a deliberately shifted tonal range, even when that looks good.

Don't get wrapped up in skin tones. As long as it looks natural and doesn't have a green or magenta cast, concentrate more on taking better photos.

This. When you start to really overthink it, it can annoy the hell out of you. Still doses with me when correcting white balance for weddings.

I really like this shot. The toning, colours, composition all work really well, IMO. It's relaxed and natural and love the door on the left of the frame.

This. When you start to really overthink it, it can annoy the hell out of you. Still doses with me when correcting white balance for weddings.

I really like this shot. The toning, colours, composition all work really well, IMO. It's relaxed and natural and love the door on the left of the frame.

No i totally get that. Imho, now ive learnt a few more techniques already from here i feel alot more armed. However i am my own worse critic!

Back