Hmm, time to dump flickr and finally build my own website?

People here are saying things like "I would love to see Flickr get back to what it was" and that it has lost its "community" and "social media" but it's not a social media site with a community anyway. I see no social interaction on it except via posting comments on individual images and that is very limited and not conversational.

Personally I enjoy reading positive comments about my efforts and also having my ego stroked when my pictures are chosen by Explore - It's not the be and end all but it's encouraging.

I only Comment or Fave someone's image if I genuinely like it.
I’m the same, only comment if I genuinely like it. It’s surprising how many people I’ve met whilst out and found out they are someone I’ve talked to via DMs, follow or commented on their photos. I’ve had quite a few DM conversations with people over the years. It was through Flickr that I’ve met and gone out photographing with some people. I guess its the following of people, seeing their images on a regular basis rather than being carpet bombed with various images like you were in the specific groups. I’ve never used the groups fo4 viewing images, all images I looked at were from people I followed, usually that was because they photographed the same genres I did.

Amazon prime is £80 0er year, we use it for the delivery, amazon music, and the amazon video service. I know a lot of people have this, so for those who already have it, it's great.
Presumably you cannot link to these photos for posting to forums like TP?

Amazon prime is £80 0er year, we use it for the delivery, amazon music, and the amazon video service. I know a lot of people have this, so for those who already have it, it's great.
Isn’t amazon a cloud backup service rather than a photo sharing platform? It’s not really comparable to what Flickr offers. Flickr’s big mistake was opening up to 1TB free storage, people started using it for free cloud storage which wasn’t something it was really designed for.

I was a free account flickr user, but subscribed to Photobucket because of the 200 image limit on the free account. I only used PB to host images for TP, but using it got progressively more horrible, and then came the great Photobucket meltdown when they banned linking for free account users. I did have a good look around at this point, and a lot of folk were talking about imgur (which I've heard mentioned here). However, their Ts and Cs say:

"Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network."

Although this was apparently not enforced, the writing was clearly on THAT wall! So I abandoned PB and went back to flickr, which by that time had become unlimited. The PB meltdown meant that a lot of my early TP posts have broken image links. I've fixed up a few of these, and continue to fix up more if I think a thread or a post was valuable. I usually upload such images to TP to host, although some of them are also on flickr.

I was surprised, BTW, that flickr doesn't appear to make it easy to find out how many images you have; eventually found it in "manage your content" IIRC, but I didn't even get a result in their Help system for "how many images"! It appears I have 467, so safe for a while.

Anyway, having experienced the dire effects of losing access to hosted images, I'd be likely to pay a sub for flickr if necessary, specially if I thought it was both sustainable and being developed!

Also BTW, I don't use them much, but there are some community aspects to flickr, including discussion groups where I have found (via Google search) useful information about aspects of LF photography, to name but one area.

I was surprised, BTW, that flickr doesn't appear to make it easy to find out how many images you have
Yes it does. It tells you on the home page banner. At least, mine does. Big bold numbers. Can't be missed.....although I notice it doesn't show on the app, just the browser page.

Yes it does. It tells you on the home page banner. At least, mine does. Big bold numbers. Can't be missed.....although I notice it doesn't show on the app, just the browser page.

Mine too.

In review, I probably like the present Flickr enough to pay for 1 year of pro at the present rates, but wish for less storage at a lower price and agree that a 2 tier system would have been better. Having said that, I could easily cull 500 images from the account & slide below the limit, so perhaps will do that & see if a better 'non-pro' rate is ever offered.

If anyone wants to see what is really going on with there Flickr account ,just sign up to bighugelabs.com and allow them to link to your Flickr user name , then search on there for Flickr dna

Well that's curious. I had 1360 odd images, deleted 505 of them and now apparently have 947 still.

I've also discovered that I have 2 500px accounts, which explains why I thought they were losing some of my pictures that I'd recently uploaded.

I've been on since 2007, been a 'pro' since the option came available, and have no idea how many photos I have on there. I used it originally to host photographs to post on various urbex forums but I've since found it to be more useful than just a hosting site.

I did a big clear out the other year and replaced a load of older, smaller, poorly processed photos with bigger, better processed versions a year or two back. I don't contribute much to the community groups as much as I used to, but Flickr is often my first port of call when researching a new place to go, subject to shoot or equipment to buy.

It's not my main web presence as I have a couple of websites, but Flickr is a useful complement and while the cost increase is disappointing, I do take advantage of the storage space to backup full res versions of my photographs.

Well I've gone from 7,800ish to 4,397 so far :)

It's also fair to say, that by deleting a lot of my earlier (2007/8) stuff my overall quality on there is improving :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

:D

I've only got 933, I binned a lot a few years ago before I went premium for a while then ditched it as I've hardy been taking any photos. Not sure what I'll do.
I probably will look into backing up my photo folder to amazon prime though.

I've only got 933, I binned a lot a few years ago before I went premium for a while then ditched it as I've hardy been taking any photos. Not sure what I'll do.
I probably will look into backing up my photo folder to amazon prime though.
I put this to my lad this morning as he has a smaller library than me ,told him about the Amazon prime site and the reply was “ but who’s going to see them “ so basically it’s a storage site with no interaction . I can’t really see the problem with paying for Flickr if your switching from free it’s 50p a week if your already PRO it’s a pound a week or a bit less

I put this to my lad this morning as he has a smaller library than me ,told him about the Amazon prime site and the reply was “ but who’s going to see them “ so basically it’s a storage site with no interaction . I can’t really see the problem with paying for Flickr if your switching from free it’s 50p a week if your already PRO it’s a pound a week or a bit less

.... I can't see the problem either.

Perhaps the only reason to quit Flickr is if you don't use it or have given up taking photographs. Good luck with the likes of Google and Amazon!

I haven't upgraded to Pro yet but probably will to take advantage of the discount. Meanwhile, this morning I find that another of my photos has been selected by Explore - I'm very happy about that, it gives me confidence and strokes my ego < Who doesn't enjoy that!? 'The Deer and the Jackdaw' :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157686132840835

.... I can't see the problem either.

Perhaps the only reason to quit Flickr is if you don't use it or have given up taking photographs. Good luck with the likes of Google and Amazon!

I haven't upgraded to Pro yet but probably will to take advantage of the discount. Meanwhile, this morning I find that another of my photos has been selected by Explore - I'm very happy about that, it gives me confidence and strokes my ego < Who doesn't enjoy that!? 'The Deer and the Jackdaw' :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157686132840835
What the one that’s not quite right , what did she say over processed or summat:beer::help:

If I'm viewing on my tablet it only shows when holding in landscape not portrait, took some time to work that out.

Yeah, amazon purely as an offsite back up. I use basically everything else that comes with the free delivery sub.

Right now I'll get by with free Flickr for actual sharing. See how it goes, I am a little concerned about giving them $50 and the vulture capailists deciding its still not worth it and closing Flickr down anyway

What the one that’s not quite right , what did she say over processed or summat:beer::help:

.... Yep, that's the one! I only posted it on Flickr yesterday and the faves are climbing. She said: "it is way over edited". I can't say I admire her photography. We all make mistakes and sometimes over-egg an image, but this one was not one of them.

A while back when you said a Heron shot of mine was a tad overdone on under-exposure, I took notice because I respect your opinions and like your photography.

Viewing an image on Flickr actually displays a quality which is usually able to be fully assessed.

I'm a bit late for this! I just logged on to Flickr and read about the 1000 photo limit then thought I would post it up on TP only to find out this thread existed ! I've downloaded all my photos and am now looking for an alternative storage medium. I think this will be the death of Flickr as in reality most people just will not pay ! A sad day for photo sharing ! I originally started using it as a friend had a house fire ( two days before Xmas) All the kids presents were destroyed but the one thing he told me he had lost which gutted him was his family photos. I thought flickr would be a good way to protect mine from such occurrences ( long before I was interested in photography)

Last edited:
Thanks, it’s via Adobe Portfolio- website builder that’s bolted onto Adobes photography plan (Lightroom CC). I’ve found it quite good, considering it’s free with lightroom CC it’s anice bonus and personally an ok replacement to zenfolio.

How many of us keep clicking away from the splash screen advertising the Adobe sites. It’s definitely worth a look.

How many of us keep clicking away from the splash screen advertising the Adobe sites. It’s definitely worth a look.

As an adobe add on it does make me think at some point in the future it may go the same way as Adobe Muse went.hopefully it doesn’t, but until it does it’s a capable cheap option to have your own personal website/online portfolio compared to dedicated website providers such as zenfolio.

I for one don't want to spend ~£35 for Pro, I had just over 6500 uploaded, and started deleting images from over 2 years ago. I don't use it as storage, just as a means to show my photos. Now that I have dumped Facebook I have less traffic to view images.

So, all in all, coerced into some housekeeping....

I cannot see $48 worth of value in stats and a few other bits compared with say Amazon Prime or Spotify.
Suspect they have misjudged their market but whatever. Pro cancelled today.

I have just 70 over 1000 so it is probably good idea to get rid of a few remaining outliers regardless. They serve no useful purpose pro or free. I will think about that over next couple of weeks. Like I said if the "pro" helps me get one extra sale it has more than paid for itself.

Just been reading the Flickr blog.

https://blog.flickr.net/en/2018/11/01/changing-flickr-free-accounts-1000-photos/

https://blog.flickr.net/en/2018/11/01/a-sharper-focus-for-flickr/

The two posts below give more insight into the planned changes. I have to say I agree with the reasons they put forward, the changes in 2013 by yahoo weren’t good changes- Flickr wasn’t ever supposed to be cloud storage or backup storage but the 1TB free storage meant some used it for that. It feels like the increase in pro subscription is the point that’s niggling a lot of people. If they had kept it at $25 for another year I think they would have a lot more happy pro subscribers and probably intice some previous pro users back, especially with the 1000 image limit.

Last edited:

https://blog.flickr.net/en/2018/11/01/changing-flickr-free-accounts-1000-photos/

The two posts below give more insight into the planned changes. I have to say I agree with the reasons they put forward, the changes in 2013 by yahoo weren’t good changes- Flickr wasn’t ever supposed to be cloud storage or backup storage but the 1TB free storage meant some used it for that. It feels like the increase in pro subscription is the point that’s niggling a lot of people. If they had kept it at $25 for another year I think they would have a lot more happy pro subscribers and probably intice some previous pro users back, especially with the 1000 image limit.

I think if the uptakes is poor we may very well see a drop to around $25, or a mid level subscription introduced.

For $25 I would certainly have gone pro, but as it is I don't need to spend the extra so I won't.

Its obvious from some of the comments here that people do consider Flickr to be cloud storage, making direct comparisons to Prime photo storage is just bizarre.

When I advertised for business I had a website and FB Page, I use Amazon as my off site backup, and Flickr as a convenient space for image sharing. All the change means to me is that I’ll have to be smarter with culling my shared images (though atm it’d take me several years to reach 1000 images).

I personally find it odd that people would use Flickr as storage, but there’s nowt so queer as folk!

For $25 I would certainly have gone pro, but as it is I don't need to spend the extra so I won't.
it works out at £26 for the first year or 50p a week from free to pro , that gives you a full 12 months to either find somewhere else or decide whether its worth about 70p a week to renew next year . to me its a no brainer . I'm just waiting to see if the us mid term elections result in a dollar plummet next week

it works out at £26 for the first year or 50p a week from free to pro , that gives you a full 12 months to either find somewhere else or decide whether its worth about 70p a week to renew next year . to me its a no brainer . I'm just waiting to see if the us mid term elections result in a dollar plummet next week

Not if you didn't have pro already - $50 for me, unless I've missed a discount somewhere.

Its obvious from some of the comments here that people do consider Flickr to be cloud storage, making direct comparisons to Prime photo storage is just bizarre.

When I advertised for business I had a website and FB Page, I use Amazon as my off site backup, and Flickr as a convenient space for image sharing. All the change means to me is that I’ll have to be smarter with culling my shared images (though atm it’d take me several years to reach 1000 images).

I personally find it odd that people would use Flickr as storage, but there’s nowt so queer as folk!

If you offer 1TB for free that's pretty much saying (to the layman) Cloud storage!

Not if you didn't have pro already - $50 for me, unless I've missed a discount somewhere.
yep its $50 DOLLARS but after currency conversion it works out to £38.52 per year or 74 pence a week if your already pro . to be honest thats not even the cost of half a pint of lager unless you buy a can in the local polski slep. c,mon get in the real world

Entire photo collection? I've just used TreeSizePro to determine that I run to 1.7T digital camera images and 1.6T scans....

Back