Hmmm... thinking hurts...

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been doing that scary thing called thinking again (I do that sometimes but not very well)...

My current kit list is as follows:

Canon EOS 350D

BG-E3 Battery Grip containing:
  • Canon NB-2LH 740 mAh battery
  • NB-2L 650 mAh battery
Canon RS-60E3 Remote Switch

Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM f/4.0-5.6
  • Canon EW 73B Lens Hood
  • 67mm Hoya HMC UV filter
  • 67mm Hoya Circular Polarising Filter
Canon EF 70-300mm IS USM f/4.0-5.6
  • Canon ET 65B Lens Hood
  • 58mm Hoya Super HMC Pro1 multicoated UV filter
  • 58mm Hoya Circular Polarising Filter
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 mkII

• 52mm Orange filter
  • 52mm Warmtone filter
  • 52mm Diffuser
  • 52mm Cross screen filter

Of the three lenses, only the 70-300 has been on the camera body since I bought it in April, and the main use has been trackside at the British Superbikes. The 50mm hasn't been used since around December 05 and the 17-85 hasn't been used since my trip to the lake district in March.

So my thought was to sell all three lenses (plus filters and hoods) and invest in a Sigma 100-300mm f/4.0 EX IF APO DG (the f/2.8 version costs almost £1000 more so it is out of the question unfortunately) since the camera just doesn't get used for anything other than trackside work.

The downside is that I can't afford to get a decent quality walkabout lens yet (at least until I have sold the house) but then since I haven't done any walkabout since March, will I really miss it?

What are your thoughts? Am I mad?

Sounds like a good plan to me, I recently did the same, I found I wasnt using a lot of my gear so sold it all off and replaced the bits I needed with pro level versions.

No doubt as soon as you sell it though, youll find yourself in a situation where you could really have done with that gear.

From your kit listed id personally keep the 50f1.8 as the resale value is only going to be £40 or there about, so not worth getting rid of, id sell the coloured filters as they can be recreated in PS more or less.

thinking hurts: its best to keep this to a minimum as I have done. life is so much easier that way

Back