Holga, Toy, Charity Shop, Car Boot and other Bargains (film only please)

I was chatting to a bloke a couple of years ago who bought a Hassleblad from a charity shop for £50. They sold it off cheap because everyone had gone digital and they didn't think that you could get the film anymore. They even asked if he was sure. Can't remember the specifics of it now but it wasn't just the camera if I remember. I did post about it at the time but can't find it now. :D

Favourite picture off the first roll of film I've shot in quite a while. I was supposed to be testing the camera before I took it on holiday. Of course I didn't get the film developed until after I got back....

Holga 120 N / Fuji 160 NS.

beach_huts_steve.jpg

Well had a wander round Todmorden today and there was a little bit of a market on, spotted a tatty little Canon P&S case. So wondered what was inside, it was a Canon SureShot ACE. Did know squat about it, but it has a view down finder as well as the normal look through. Was told £2 if I want it, so £2 was promptly handed over.
Had a look at it in a pub, battery still in and functioning. Then spotted a little symbol that looked like a remote control. Pushed a button and it came off.

Got home and looked it up, it is the worlds first camera with a remote control. Put a roll of fuji in and it is firing away nice and happy. I also have a happy smile on my face, really nice little camera and in mint condition. When this roll has run through and have it developed, I will drop a couple of images on here !

There was an antique fair today in Westgate, Chichester and I couldn't pass on a super little Olympus Trip for £8 - including an Oly soft leather case.

The light seals were good and everything seems to be OK. Lens is bright and clean - opened the back and it is immaculate inside.

It even still had the little plastic hot shoe cover in place.

Can't wait to run a film through it in the next few days.

I got an Olympus Trip from a charity shop for 2 quid about 13 years back. I won a competition with it in the year 2000 & it's still working fine! Great little camera.

I picked up a Kodak Brownie 127 today - bought unseen as someone just wanted rid of it.

Super condition - still in the houndstooth fold over Kodak camera case.

When I looked closely at it, there is still a film in it - with Exposure Number 8 staring boldly back at me through the red window on the back of the camera :)

What might be on such an old film I wonder?

Yes, I'm getting tempted to see if I can find a company to process it for me - who knows what might be on it from way back when? LOL

Last edited:
I picked up a Kodak Brownie 127 today - bought unseen as someone just wanted rid of it.

Super condition - still in the houndstooth fold over Kodak camera case.

When I looked closely at it, there is still a film in it - with Exposure Number 8 staring boldly back at me through the red window on the back of the camera :)

What might be on such an old film I wonder?

Yes, I'm getting tempted to see if I can find someone to process it for me - who knows what be on it from way back when? LOL

Excellent, found film is great fun.

Excellent, found film is great fun.

There is part of me that wants to see what is on it and another that thinks it's intruding into someone else's past and memories.

I know its odd - but I can't shake that thought - even though I want to know whats on it.

I have operated the shutter and wound it on now - curiosity got the better of me.

I can hear the film rustling and crackling loudly inside - so I don't know if it will be heavily curled or cracked, useless and fogged after so many years - but the film is still on the spool and has gone to #9.

Well here is a shot from my little bargin I got the other week! As promised.

Fuji superia 200 through a Canon SureShot ACE/Prima Shot/Autoboy Prisma

Halifax by GP Images Photography, on Flickr

I got a mint fm2 and 50mm lens in a charity shop for £10 about 12 years ago. still works perfectley.

Last edited:
I paid £2 for a baldinette today, seems to have a shutter problem though so I need to find a repair center. :(

A boot sale near me has started, but no one was there...erm caught everyone by surprise.

Just picked up a near mint G.B. Kershaw 110 for the grand total of £5 at Huddersfield market.
I cannot believe how good it looks for something from 1954, only real sign of use is the winding wheel !

Another grand bargin, got a roll of XP2 to run through it after I clean the dust from it !

Nice gamble at the bootie today: Epson 4180 photo without power supply for £3.50 everything included Cd.s, instructions and all neg holders but there is one I'm not sure what it is for as it's got an opaque plastic flip lid...anyway the gamble was:- It might not work and the power supply from my old 2480 might not work with it.
Well it all works perfectly erm but I don't really need it :)

I know it was a while ago, but the opaque lid attachment is for scanning 120!

I know it was a while ago, but the opaque lid attachment is for scanning 120!

Ah..must have changed the design as my V750 doesn't have it...btw the 4180 Photo might be overlooked for other well known models, and although I've just used it a few times my initial opinion is good..but if anyone is interested I will compare results to my V750 with the same neg with crops.

Yup, it was my first foray into medium format scanning and although a bit slow and only capable of doing 2 frames at a time, I've always been reasonably happy with the results.

I've got the 2480 photo spare now without the power supply...a common connector plug and without checking IIRC 24v, if I think of it will look in the boxes of S/H power supplies at the bootie usually 20p to £1.....and put it on gumtree for £10 to collect.

Interesting thread I have been picking up the odd lomography.com camera secondhand from ebay. Getting mixed results so far, while I work out what's the beat set up and subject matter for each camera. But on Saturday I went to a car boot, and found an Olympus trip 35 hiding in a Canon case :) only 2 pound lovely little camera though only goes up to 250asa. Any way of using a faster Asa with it?

Interesting thread I have been picking up the odd lomography.com camera secondhand from ebay. Getting mixed results so far, while I work out what's the beat set up and subject matter for each camera. But on Saturday I went to a car boot, and found an Olympus trip 35 hiding in a Canon case :) only 2 pound lovely little camera though only goes up to 250asa. Any way of using a faster Asa with it?

If you use 400asa neg film there is no problem because of film latitude...with neg film if you can't expose accurately it's best to over expose (in the old days with B/W it was "expose for the shadows and let the highlights take care of themselves"..........with pos film it's the other way i.e. don't over expose

i popped into a junk shop the other day to rummage for old cameras, nothing doing so i left with a copy of the hobbit.. as i left the shop i looked down at the book and noticed a familiar shape on the floor under a toy pram left outside the shop, i picked it up and it was a crud encased benbo trekker tripod!!!
the lady didn't know what it was so i said i will give her 10 quid and she was over the moon.
got it home, cleaned it up and apart from a leg knob missing was like new....no head though. ordered a new knob from Patterson and off she goes!
bargain in my eyes

excalibur2 said:
If you use 400asa neg film there is no problem because of film latitude...with neg film if you can't expose accurately it's best to over expose (in the old days with B/W it was "expose for the shadows and let the highlights take care of themselves"..........with pos film it's the other way i.e. don't over expose

Thanks for the advice mate. The camera is mostly auto but it does allow you to change the apature I'm guessing your advice will still be ok?

Simon photo said:
i popped into a junk shop the other day to rummage for old cameras, nothing doing so i left with a copy of the hobbit.. as i left the shop i looked down at the book and noticed a familiar shape on the floor under a toy pram left outside the shop, i picked it up and it was a crud encased benbo trekker tripod!!!
the lady didn't know what it was so i said i will give her 10 quid and she was over the moon.
got it home, cleaned it up and apart from a leg knob missing was like new....no head though. ordered a new knob from Patterson and off she goes!
bargain in my eyes

Wow what a find man

Last edited:
End of a table top sale. Wifey picked up this 'Toy' camera for me. 20p :D

IMG00204.jpg

in box with manual...

Aperture is stuck, but I haven't really had time to have a look at it yet.

Nice buy at the bootie today for me..a guy had stacks of cameras and lenses and was selling for his friend, from 6X9 folding camera to Yashica Minster or trip
Well I settled for an as new Konica FS1 + 50mm f1.4 for £12, and a Meyer 200mm f4 lens for £2...but one of the blades is out and will have to strip it down. Anyone know which end is easiest to get to the blades?

You are all mad, I should fit in well here LOL
Just back from the Boot sale
Bought one of these for £5
http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/208_c-5050_zoom.htm
I love it as its auto or man, got two cards, reader a G40 flash that wont fit:crying:
Case and a free carrier bag so a result.
I did in the past have a Lubitel and a Yasica TLR, both made you stop and set the tripod up and compose your picture so you got good results.
Sadly I got rid of all my film stuff with the dark room when the kids came along.

Well, this is a film and conventional section so we are by nature mad....but we can read :D

Wasn't sure if I should put this in here or the 'New toy' thread but it was a bargain so it's here :D
I know this was low end for an slr but it was £5 with the as new bag and instructions (I rather like the bag, so a nice bonus) (y)
It's clearly been very well looked after, just waiting on new battery so I can get a roll in it and see what happens :D

DSCF0219.jpg

Wasn't sure if I should put this in here or the 'New toy' thread but it was a bargain so it's here :D
I know this was low end for an slr but it was £5 with the as new bag and instructions (I rather like the bag, so a nice bonus) (y)
It's clearly been very well looked after, just waiting on new battery so I can get a roll in it and see what happens :D

Looks like a bargain to me and I don't even use Canon.

looks good to me too - on the subject of bargains, and batteries... always check ebay for the Hong Kong / China type sellers selling rechargable batteries with a charger :)
You have to wait a few weeks, but they pay for themselves after a couple of charges :)

Had a wander onto the car boot with her indoors, got an Olympus Trip 35 for £4.

7543290180_ed8b931ea5_c.jpg

Everything seems to work but it has no light seals.
Bought a film from Poundland and had a play.
Seems ok but will get the seals sorted, may even get a new leather cover but not sure on that.

7543293796_ea8fb8f80e_c.jpg

Did you take that photo of the car with the trip? Looks ok with out seals.

Yeh, bought the camera sunday, and they had a vintage car thing on in town so stuck the film in and fired off a roll. Every photo came out ok but i do need a bit of practise as the majority of them i had cut the left hand edge of the image off :)

Taking some dead flourescent tubes to the tip for recycling last weekend I nipped into the re-use shed just for a quick mooch, picked up a copy of Edward Weston: A Legacy in very good condition for £1. Bargain! :D

I'm having a bit of a run of luck with bargain finds at the moment.

I bought a Canon AF35-ML last night for £5.19!

Not sure how much they usually go for, but I won't complain at that price, it'll certainly be worth running a few rolls through it for some fun.

I already own an EOS 33 as my 'serious' film SLR, so i quite like the idea of just having a point and shoot for a bit of easy going fun. :D

I picked up (off Facebook MarketPlace) a mint Nikon F80 with a 28-80mm and a 70-300mm lenses (both G versions).

The lady selling it had bought it new for her husband and she thought it had probably been used once before being confined to the cupboard !! the 70-300mm lens was box hadn't been used and I was probably the first to take it out the plastic bag to check it wasn't full of fungus !! .

All in for £60 :clap:

Of course best bit is the lenese will work on my D90 and most of my D90 lenses will work on the F80. Plan to primarily use B&W film and might look to keep the 50mm F1.8 AF-D on it.

Will post piccies of the haul tomorrow.

Nikon F80 by RJ Fletcher, on Flickr

Last edited:
It obviously pays to keep eyes and ears open - there are some great and inspiring bargains being posted in this thread.

Who said film was dead? :LOL:

Back