Holiday Ideas!?

Matt.

Judge Dredd
Edit My Images
Yes
Well i've had enough of this depressing weather and need to get away :LOL: It'll be just me going, and i'd like to go for a long weekend in September (eg. fly out on friday, fly back on tuesday). Any ideas on where to go? I don't want to go to main land europe either, as i've done that enough times already. I have a few ideas, but i just sat down and calculated the cost of one, which was somewhat shocking, hence me coming on here and asking for more suggestions :bonk:

If you would like to photograph stunning landscapes, seascapes etc you could fly to the West of Ireland - Connemara, The Burren. Cliffs of Moher etc.

I'd like to go a bit further afield if i could :) I'd like to go to places that i'm not that likely to go to again if you see what i mean.

I spent a long weekend in Marrakech earlier this year. It is a fascinating place, with loads of great photo opportunities. I'm not sure where you are based, but you can get cheap flights direct from manchester now.

Wherever you go, have a good time.

I agree with Cedarapple about Marrakech. I was there a few weeks ago - it's exotic. You could also venture further afield in Morocco - away from the touristy areas. Atlas Blue (low cost offshoot of Air Maroc) flies to Marrakech & other Moroccan airports.

We have booked a 12 day driving holiday in Norway in september, seeing the fjords and mountains, but I imagine you could find something in Scandanavia for a long weekend if you looked...saw a program this evening about Grieg, and it looks like we are in for some stunning scenery and beautiful towns.

Otherwise, what about a Scottish highland break, Russia or maybe even nth africa for a few days?

I only have 3 days holiday left this year... hence the weekend idea! :) I'm also more interested in organising things myself, rather than going on more of a package type trip. Iceland is still number one on my list i think, i just need to find a way to make it ever so slightly more economical! :LOL:

I'd like to go a bit further afield if i could :) I'd like to go to places that i'm not that likely to go to again if you see what i mean.

I think you might find it difficult to find many options which are outside of Europe, but close enough to do as a long weekend rather than a week or more, with flight times that will give you more than a day at the other end and which are not going to cost an arm and a leg. The only places which come readily to mind outside Europe, easily accessible and not too expensive are Morocco, Egypt and Turkey.

However it's now possible to do Syria, Jordan, Libya or Georgia for a week, but that's not a long weekend and it's going to cost £700+.

http://www.originaltravel.co.uk seem to have a wide range of short break trips, including New York for under £400, Oman for around £800 and Iceland from £550.

What's your budget?

You might get a late deal to somewhere like Morroco or Tunisia on that budget. I can see why Iceland was top of your wish list though.

Just been to Dubai - though on business. Some lovely sights there to be photographed. The Burj al Arab hotel, the totally amazing desert and dunes, beach and sea all in guaranteed bright blue sunshine.

I have some pics I took - but with a cheapie Nikon compact. Gimme 30 mins and I shall create a montage for you - not for critique, but to show you what you can expect to see!!

Where about would you like to fly from?

This choice can open up or close options across various airlines.

Cheerz(y)

Ideally Bristol or Cardiff... but i'm not that against going from a London airport :)

Here you go Matt... some crops from a selection of snaps I took whilst there. I flew from Jahannesbug and the sunset over the equator was something else.

Dubai is a lovely place I have to say.

dubai_montage.jpg

I am going to push Norway again - i just did some quick searches and looks like you should be able to get something up that way within your budget. Its not quite Iceland, but next best thing I reckon - I am told sept is best time for northern lights too ;)

Toronto could be an idea out of Cardiff.

Cheerz(y)

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=26183
(y)

Norway is an option i guess... not somewhere i know a lot about though!

Dubai doesn't really seem like my kind of place, theMusicMan, though it does always amaze me with all the stuff they come up with :D

I might be leaving Iceland a bit late for this year though, i guess i'll have to either hurry up, or choose one of these other locations!

Norway is an option i guess... not somewhere i know a lot about though!

Me niether, but I know someone that lived there for several years, and raves about it for scenery, both rural and urban [although urban is limited, busy town centres quickly giving way to raw countryside again].... stay over the the west, its a bit cheaper than Oslo apparently and much more dramatic, so Bergen and Stavenger are good landing points. Return Flights into Bergen in Sept with SAS are as little as £116 inc taxes from gatwick, hotels, well, they seem to vary from 300 to 600 for 4 nights, so I suppose its a case of shopping around, seeing what you can get, maybe going slightly out of town will get you a better deal at that time of year when height of tourism has dropped and they want room fillers.
Oh, one thing that was pointed out to me when we were looking, Norway stays a bit warmer a bit longer than other scandinavian countries, because like the UK, it benefits from the Gulf stream carrying warm air over. ;)

What no-one has asked and what you've not said is whether this is to be primarily a chill-out trip or a snappy one. And if a snappy one, what sort of stuff you want to photograph.

I know you've said not mainland Europe, so how about Sicily? Flights to Palermo are usually fairly cheap. You should get a flight, a few nights accommodation and car hire and food within your budget. From what I've read, there's plenty to do in Palermo itself including that famous catacomb full of mummified monks, and then there's the Byzantine cathedral at Monreale (probably worth a full day) and trips out to the fishing villages along the NW coast and on to the salt pans at Trapani.

The weather should still be good too.

Just found this in the Metro paper on the way to work.
874234325_f1aeb1f5ee_o.jpg

Cheerz(y)

Finland? I've been there a couple of times but on business and in Winter but I'm assured by folks I know out there it's very beautiful in the Summer...

if you have 800 pound why dont you go somewhere for a week. just take unpaid leave from work if you have not got enough hols left

if you have 800 pound why dont you go somewhere for a week. just take unpaid leave from work if you have not got enough hols left

Funnily enough it's not that easy to just take extra days off work :LOL:

£800 wouldn't last a week for one of my holidays either :shake: Oh well, maybe i should learn to be more economical!

What no-one has asked and what you've not said is whether this is to be primarily a chill-out trip or a snappy one. And if a snappy one, what sort of stuff you want to photograph.

It's just a holiday to get away primarily :) BUT photography would obviously play a big part in it too (y)

I like big scenery at the moment, but don't want to be in some remote village! I want people as well, but would rather they weren't English! I see zero attraction in going abroad to be surrounded by English people.

If i can get it sorted i think late next year will be a trip to NZ/Aus as i think that just has to be done at some point :) But i obviously can't wait a year with no holiday, hence this thread :LOL:

If you really want to get a real feel for authentic, ethnicicity and experience a diverse mixture of all cultures, may i suggest SLOUGH. Only 1hour or so along the M4 from you, as for accomodation pay me £400, and you can stay at my house in Maidenhead, (not so ethnically diverse, and quieter) and me and the missus will have a long weekend in Cornwall or Wales.
Dean:LOL:

Back