Holiday Recommendations

BOM

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey Guys,

The wife and I are looking to go away somewhere for two weeks, in the past its always been Cornwall or a boating holiday. But since the price of those is around £1500 for two weeks we thought we may as well go abroad for a change.

We arent Beach people so dont fancy that sort of thing.

Any suggestions? We arent that old either, I'm 30 my wife is 25. Not really into clubbing though.

Cheers,
BOM.

Dan and I stayed in Katelios, Kefalonia for our honeymoon. Wonderful island. We hired a car which we visited the whole island in and there's plenty to fill up 2 weeks. There's some nice bars and restaurants in Katelios itself and a couple of nights we drove over to Skala (Next village on). (y)

Do you like walking?

I'm a smidgen older than you two but also not really into clubbing.

I went to Austria for the first time last year and fell in love with the place, its so clean. Went to St. Anton in the Tyrol last year which is at the top of a valley surrounded by beautiful mountains.
Loads of cafe's and bars and obviously the Hutte's up in the mountains. There are quite a few festivals through the year as well.

This year we are going to Seefeld which also looks gorgeous on the photos I've seen on Google images.

For that type of money you could try for a deal to Florida.

i'd go to new york for as long as you can afford, then spend the rest of your holiday at home, downloading your pics and dreaming of going again. it is a great place to go, take plenty of flash cards!!

We looked at Florida, but it kind of worked out closer to £3.5k after car rental, theme park tickets etc.

Am I missing a trick somewhere?

Austria could be nice, never made it that far, I got to lichenstein and turned back, was on my motorbike.

So far we are thinking of Venice :)

Canada! I'm currently in Vancouver and it's amazing. So much to see and do and something for all tastes. There are some really cheap flights around at the mo too.

Iceland? You should be able to do that for £1500, and it's definitely not a beach holiday :D

While I absolutely adore Venice, Im not so sure if 2 weeks there wouldnt be overkill.
First time I went, I stayed just outside in Silea, and car hire meant that I could see some of the countryside & mountains too.
Might be worth looking into breaking your time between Venice & Tuscany, or Venice & the lakes perhaps.

I'm interailling round europe for 16days this summer...going to be great....probably slumming it a bit though for your liking...but what an adventure!

Lots to think about now, some cool ideas here :D

Superstat, I've done the slumming it, I rode through France, Germany, Switzerland and Lichenstien and all the way back on my motorbike with only a tent and a few necessities, my trousers doubled up as my pillow, my leather Jacket as a ground sheet :D Was Awesome. I wasnt into photography then though so I have only 3 maybe 4 pictures of the entire trip! This is one of them :)

germanybike.jpg

My trusty old GPZ500s, my first motorbike :) I dont have it anymore.

You're spoilt for choice with the budget airlines....

If you like scenery/hiking etc then Austria/Switzerland are great places to go. If you want a bit more heat jump on a plane to Nice in the south if France.

much of Europe has excellent public transport , more efficient & cheaper than ours, easy to get around

I could go on but I'm sure you got the idea ;)

PS - If you want to stay in the UK, then its pretty impressive around North Wales, Snowdonia in particular

simon

Last edited:
The Czech Republic is meant to be very nice so I've heard.
<---- :D:p

If you want 2 weeks then you could spend one week in Prague then the next doing daytrips to the smaller towns like

Cesky Krumlov - UNESCO listed town
Kutna Hora - UNESCO listed town + bone church
Pilsen - Pilsner Urquell brewery :beer:
Karlovy Vary - Spa town
Karlstejn - Castle
Dresden - Ok Germany but it's not far and meant to be really nice.

Not saying you should but it's another option :)

We had a week or so last August split between Munich and Salzburg and they are both fantastic places/areas. Munich itself is friendly, interesting and great to wander around, Fussen (to the South) is a worthwhile daytrip (drive from Munich, the scenery is breathtaking) for the castles and mountains and Berchtesgaden is stunning. Salzburg is great as well and the views from the top of the fortress are incredible.

The quality of public transport and the general cleanliness of Germany and Austria is a huge plus as well.

Dan and I stayed in Katelios, Kefalonia for our honeymoon. Wonderful island. We hired a car which we visited the whole island in and there's plenty to fill up 2 weeks. There's some nice bars and restaurants in Katelios itself and a couple of nights we drove over to Skala (Next village on). (y)

Went to Kefalonia 3 years ago. Amazing place. The wife and are are also not into beaches and clubbing and it was the perfect place for us. Mind you, the beaches are so amazing, you may not be able to resist spending a little time on them.

Back