Holiday time.. what to take

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
No
Off to Sharm El Sheikh in a couple of weeks, and me being me, I'll want to take all my lenses (just on case!) - 24-105, 50, 70-300 and 10-22.

I'd hate to be there and miss an opportunity for a photo that would have worked with a lens that I left at home.

Am I crazy?!
If push comes to shove, I may just go with the 24-105 and 10-22
Has anyone been there and can suggest suitable lenses?

I'd take the 50mm as well, doesn't take up much room and you might find the speed useful, are you planning to venture further afield, I went to Luxor and Cairo in 1995, I loved every second of it.

Not really a beach holiday person so I don't know anything about sharm all I can say if you're looking for things to photograph you'll be tripping over them in Luxor and Cairo

Probably a trip further inland to St Catherine's Monastery is all I'm banking on. But it is actually going to be a lazy holiday for me... for once!

If you are taking more than one lens, be really careful where you change it as you are going to a dusty environment. It's happened to me before in Cambodia even though I was trying to be careful and ended up with 30% of my shots with various dust spots which are really tedious to remove in post processing.

That's a major concern of mine. Definitely going to be taking a plastic bag to do that sort of stuff inside of.
Cheers

Take a water proof camera an spend your holiday under water. The diving is tip top.

In a similar situation myself, off to Thailand soon and was wondering what to take, i think I'm going to opt for the 18-200mm VR and my 50mm 1.8, as jas mentioned about the problems changing lenses quickly in certain environment's i don't want to have to worry about that myself, I'm hoping these two lenses should cover most eventuality's.

I got back from Sharm 2 days ago, we did a trip to cairo and a trip to st catherines monastery. I was gutted when my 18-70mm lens packed in at cairo just before the pyramids, luckilly it was still working fine at 24mm just jammed up either side, I blamed the dust, but in fact it was a screw thats now visible in the lens.
If I was being honest my 18-70 would have covered me for the 2 weeks, but I also used my 80-200 but only has a back up.
I bought a cheap point and shoot waterproof camera cost about £35 and it was the best bit of kit I took,
Heres a few pics from it..

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e144/deanlewis12/egypt/?albumview=slideshow

Dean

It's time like these I wish I had one of those 18-200/18-250 lenses :E The Sigma OS one might be useful!
Almost considered buying one for just such holiday trips

It's time like these I wish I had one of those 18-200/18-250 lenses :E The Sigma OS one might be useful!
Almost considered buying one for just such holiday trips

I used to use (and still have) the Sigma 28-300 for travel, the 18-200mm Nikon VR is just so much better optically that I should really get round to selling the 28-300.....so be wary of long zooms if quality is important.

Back