Holiday/Travel insurance

Edit My Images
No
I am looking for any insights about travel insurance, as in best bang for buck and all being well like all insurance I will never need to claim but if you have what was the experience of the service?

My bank offer it but only with added RAC which I already have.

So, what can you suggest? NB I insure my camera gear under its own policy.

TIA :)

I would always go with a trusted brand and never the cheapest. Virgin and Post Office are the two I haave gone with but never needed to claim

Mrs Nod sorts ours out and it's with Sainsbury's. Used to be with the bank (Lloyds) but they put their price up too far so I dumped them.

FWIW, a couple of holiday pals are/were with Lloyds and had to claim twice, once for a broken hip and once for his sad passing while on holiday and the insurance was apparently great, sorting out the emergency surgery, further surgery and treatment for the broken hip and dealing with his rather complicated cremation etc. (cremation isn't common in Greece.)

I would always go with a trusted brand and never the cheapest. Virgin and Post Office are the two I haave gone with but never needed to claim
Thanks, worth looking into.
Mrs Nod sorts ours out and it's with Sainsbury's. Used to be with the bank (Lloyds) but they put their price up too far so I dumped them.

FWIW, a couple of holiday pals are/were with Lloyds and had to claim twice, once for a broken hip and once for his sad passing while on holiday and the insurance was apparently great, sorting out the emergency surgery, further surgery and treatment for the broken hip and dealing with his rather complicated cremation etc. (cremation isn't common in Greece.)
Sainsbury's I think I heard were closing their banking operation but insurance I will look into

Going for our weekly shop there later so will see if they have a leaflet:)
Aviva were very good for covering a health issue in the USA back in 2017
IIRC the Barclays offering is actually with Aviva.
Will look at their website for just travel insurance i.e. no added RAC

usually post office i think they come up well on go compare
claimed once about 9 years ago had my old travel laptop lifted in Delhi airport of all places
paid out fine even though i couldn't report it in Delhi as was flying back just had to sign a solumn statement.

We used to have Admiral for years with the annual option at £78 pa.

Then I was diagnosed with Myloma last year and they wanted £3000. After searching round I gave up and no longer have travel insurance for myself but now single (for her) as a single trip at £38.

For straight forward insurance Admiral are decent though.

I've moved mine to a Nationwide bundled account which also includes AA cover. The underwriter added 40 quid to the cost as I have MS, but I get worldwide cover for less each year than the cost of a standalone travel insurance policy and by breakdown / homestart / relay as well.

I always go with the cheapest.

For me, travel insurance is for covering the cost of repatriation if something serious happens or replacing everything if my luggage goes missing. I wouldn't claim if I lost something worth less than say £100 and as you say, your cameras are covered elsewhere. I have a UK EHIC (free from the NHS website - everybody who travels should get one) which allows me medical cover roughly "like a local person". Insurance will get me home if I need it.

I just checked, for a one week jaunt to France it would be 6 quid or £14.90 for annual. Enough to give me peace of mind and it says it covers the things I care about.

FYI EHICs are no longer available (unless you are EU citizen in the UK or UK citizen in the EU!) you now get a GHIC from the NHS.
It is now a Global card NOT a European one and is valid in 4 less counties than the EHIC (funny definition of Global) and it has a nice Union Flag design instead of the European Union flag.
EHICs are still useable though until they expire.

I used Insure and Go for years until I noticed they’d taken the US/worldwide cover off my policy at renewal time one year without asking me. It was an automatic renewal… but as they say never assume anything, so it was partly my fault for not looking at the policy renewal properly.

Thanks for the added insights :)

I do have an EHIC card that expires in September 2024

My surmise is that (in summary of various posts above..)

Global cover (and if not what restrictions)

Medical cover (for treatment & care)

Repatriation as appropriate

Loss (total?) of personal possessions (NB excess to be accounted for) e.g. luggage lost in transit

Cover for theft of possessions and/or cash and credit card(s) and passport.

PS I think there is a modest cost policy for hire car fully comprehensive insurance so perceive that that is not essential as part of the Travel Insurance. (Fairly sure I took out a 1 year policy for a trip to France a few years back......it was cheaper to do that than pay the "full waiver" amount when hiring at the desk!)

My travel insurance is bundled with my current account with Lloyds Bank along with AA cover. It cover both me and the Mrs... Luckily I've never had to make a claim.

I normally get a price though moneybookers website, choosing a reputable firm that gives me the cover I want. It's really handy to compare offers etc.

If you have any pre-existing medical conditions Staysure or Holiday extras are good for cruises.

Thanks all again......

So far I have quotes from LV, Saga, Post Office & Aviva.

The levels of cover vary especially in regard to abandonment & cancellation cover. Price wise cheapest was £434 and highest £901

This is for worldwide excluding USA and Carribbean.

Age and other factors no doubt come into it!

The cost of travel insurance increases massively when one passes the 75 landmark.
I am 77 with mild hypertension and have just paid £488 for a worldwide travel insurance policy with Avanti (on my way to Denmark as we speak and going to Canada and USA later in the year).
Five years ago I took the lowest price quoted on Compare the Market, under £30 for both my wife and I, for a fortnight’s European trip when I ended up in a Danish hospital for two weeks with bacterial pneumonia.
The company, Flexicover, were fantastic in every way possible from constant communication with my wife, arranging accommodation for her and paying out.

My travel insurance is bundled with my current account with Lloyds Bank along with AA cover. It cover both me and the Mrs... Luckily I've never had to make a claim.

Same for me with one of my bank accounts, covers the whole family and is automatic cover. I would only need to call them if there's any specific illnesses to disclose.

Back