Holidays 2016

I'll have to check out Paignton membership bumf and see where we can get in free with it! I have a feeling that we can do a few places once or twice but not sure which.

I'll have to check out Paignton membership bumf and see where we can get in free with it! I have a feeling that we can do a few places once or twice but not sure which.

Some of the ones on the Colchester pass say one visit only but I'm sure we've been more than once for some of them - Marwell definitely don't check how often you've been. According to the website you get free entry for as many times as you like to Paignton, Living Coasts and Newquay - and one entry each to the below:

• Marwell Wildlife
  • Chester Zoo
  • Colchester Zoo
  • Edinburgh Zoo
  • Dublin Zoo
  • Twycross Zoo
  • Highland Wildlife Park
  • Fota Wildlife Park

Have a week in Cornwall booked for August but already planning 2017, New York in March for 4 nights and Orlando in May!

Off to Zimbabwe in October for a two week walking safari. Very hot at that time of year, up to 45C in the shade, but the wild life viewing is at it's best then just before the start of the wet season. That one takes care of this years budget, but hoping to go to the Loften Islands, Norway early next year to cool down a bit.

Thursday.

turkey on the 17th for 10 days then boat holiday alcudia to minorca for 8 days with the lads at work

I've just come back from the New Forest, it was lovely.

After 2 perfect weeks in the Spanish sun I now have post holiday blues. I need a holiday!

After 2 perfect weeks in the Spanish sun I now have post holiday blues. I need a holiday!
Blimey, I thought that blues started several weeks ago. So that was you happy all that time :shocked:

:p

We've left it late, as per usual, difficulty is now which to pick. I'm pleasantly surprised by the level of availability.

We've left it late, as per usual, difficulty is now which to pick. I'm pleasantly surprised by the level of availability.
All done, booked and paid for. Villa with pool in Cyprus, here we come :)

Ok. Been twice in the last year. The tourist part of paphos is (sounding like a snob) quite chavvy and tacky. Fine for a wander but food not great for the price and lots of tat. Coral bay is a decent beach but give p***ouri a look if you hire a car. About 30/40 mins drive toward Limassol. Really nice with plenty of good food places. Also, in between (just off the main road between the two) is kouklia. Lovely village, and Gabriel's is a beautiful taverna. Great service and food. There is also another place there that does good Greek nights on sats. Also an old fort / villa to look round which is interesting. Close by is aphrodites Rock. Stone beach but nice.

Do watch out for police, they are fond of speed traps and unlike here will literally hide right behind signs and hedges to catch you!!!

Would love to go there. The airport is untouched in 40 years. Would be great for photos!
I couldn't get my camera out of my bag unfortunately. I was meeting some people there.

We were actually looking at p***ouri but didn't like the accommodation that was available. I'm not a big beach fan, so a really nice pool with the Villa was a must :) But it is about 300m away so will have an early morning run and dip.

Trying to sort a trip to Turkey in September, partly because the boy is working there, partly because we've never been & feel for them after the Istanbul bombing. And it should be warm & sunny, with lots of interesting ruins. Unfortunately we have an elderly mother who is quite unwell, & don't want to leave her alone, but trying to co-ordinate holidays to not overlap with the rest of the family is proving tricky.

Much prefer swimming in the sea to pools - even in the Med (where the old joke is that you only "go through the motions"!) The slight irony is that the extra buoyancy that makes swimming in salt water easier than it is in fresh makes duck diving while snorkelling more difficult! Have to say that the scenery on beaches is also more varied than round private pools :whistle:, not necessarily better, just more varied!

Have a great time, JP (and the rest of the DeJ clan!)

Trying to sort a trip to Turkey in September, partly because the boy is working there, partly because we've never been & feel for them after the Istanbul bombing. And it should be warm & sunny, with lots of interesting ruins. Unfortunately we have an elderly mother who is quite unwell, & don't want to leave her alone, but trying to co-ordinate holidays to not overlap with the rest of the family is proving tricky.
LOL Tell me about it, we just went through that. The in-laws are in Oz now after my father in law got the all clear for three months and thus they could obtain travel insurance. We look after their property for the next six weeks, then navigate work and school holidays and it left us with a very narrow window of opportunity.

Now my wife and children suggested that as it is a 4 bed room villa, they could come with us when they are back from Oz :eek:

Much prefer swimming in the sea to pools - even in the Med (where the old joke is that you only "go through the motions"!) The slight irony is that the extra buoyancy that makes swimming in salt water easier than it is in fresh makes duck diving while snorkelling more difficult! Have to say that the scenery on beaches is also more varied than round private pools :whistle:, not necessarily better, just more varied!

Have a great time, JP (and the rest of the DeJ clan!)
I do like swimming in the sea, in fact I love it. My daughters love it as well, it is just laying on the beach that does nothing for me. And that is despite the view ;) I much rather play on motorised toys :)

Jet skiing!!! That'll keep you away from the in-laws for a while too. Pick the right beach and there'll be hot and cold running food and drinks too. :D

Ok. Been twice in the last year. The tourist part of paphos is (sounding like a snob) quite chavvy and tacky. Fine for a wander but food not great for the price and lots of tat. Coral bay is a decent beach.....

I wasn't too keen on Coral bay, a bit chavvy as you say + when we were sat outside our villa @ midnight, all we could hear were 2 Elvis impersonators at different hotels/bars!!!!!!!!! (n) Most of the waitresses were Eastern European too, so felt even less Cypriot/Greek. The beach was crammed when we went on & full of tab ends.

Worth hiring a small 4X4 rather than a car too (the older the better) you can get off the roads a bit, eg up to Lara bay & Definitely worth a drive up the Troodos Mts & over the other side. :cool:

I wasn't too keen on Coral bay, a bit chavvy as you say + when we were sat outside our villa @ midnight, all we could hear were 2 Elvis impersonators at different hotels/bars!!!!!!!!! (n) Most of the waitresses were Eastern European too, so felt even less Cypriot/Greek. The beach was crammed when we went on & full of tab ends.

Worth hiring a small 4X4 rather than a car too (the older the better) you can get off the roads a bit, eg up to Lara bay & Definitely worth a drive up the Troodos Mts & over the other side. :cool:
Oh dear, hope it is not too bad. It was one of those where the children are getting older they complain about the slightly more rural settings.

I noticed there are two resorts in town. Hopefully our accommodation is far enough. And there was me thinking it was the east side that is chavvy and Russian.

Back