Holidays 2020

I'm off on Wed to The Holy Island/Lindisfarne for a couple of nights.
Looking forward to it.

Lille trip cancelled, now off to Cirencester instead.

Just spent a very pleasant couple of days in Woodbridge, Suffolk

Cirencester is a very pleasant town, especially if you like coffee shops but quite a different holiday destination to Lille.

In Laroque des alberes at the moment, although we did go to Collioure at the weekend which was fairly busy but everybody taking precautions.

Cirencester is a very pleasant town, especially if you like coffee shops but quite a different holiday destination to Lille.

Certainly is different, staying in self catering detached cottage about 4 miles from Cirencester.
Will have a look around the area, not been over there much so should be decent enough.

Intended to stay in Lille and go to Arras, Amiens and Lens by train, now an area of high alert and Eurostar have cut back services.
Just added to the list, that's Strasbourg, Nuremberg, Munich, Stuttgart, Enkhuizen and now Lille that have gone for a burton.

Got a few Eurostar and DBahn vouchers to use now, might try and get somewhere later in the year if conditions allow.

Bibury and Castle combe are pretty villages if thats your thing or Westonbirt arboretum is close by as well. Plenty of nice walks in the area

Skiathos is it's usual calming self ... in fact better than usual as there are less people here!

Very covid savvy with masks being worn when necessary (and not when not!)

Skiathos is it's usual calming self ... in fact better than usual as there are less people here!

Very covid savvy with masks being worn when necessary (and not when not!)
Crete is absolutely heaving. Totally out of character for our hotel but we have Benidorm/ ibiza overspill this year. Very embarrassing.

Crete is absolutely heaving. Totally out of character for our hotel but we have Benidorm/ ibiza overspill this year. Very embarrassing.

You're finding it packed? Been along to Maleme a couple of times and had loads of space on the beach and in the taverna. Chania is very quiet too. Much lower infection rate etc. Than UK or mainland Greece but still on the quarantine list. Anyone would think that bj is trying to boost UK holidays...

You're finding it packed? Been along to Maleme a couple of times and had loads of space on the beach and in the taverna. Chania is very quiet too. Much lower infection rate etc. Than UK or mainland Greece but still on the quarantine list. Anyone would think that bj is trying to boost UK holidays...

We have not set foot out of Old Gouves but the hotel is at capacity, pools and beaches packed. Our favourite restaurant was totally rammed last night, although hes not opening for lunch. Different age group though. There's very little in Gouves so plenty of taxis of youngsters going to and from Heraklion at night.

Sorry, thought you came west to Maleme, I know that someone from "here" does. Used to fly to Heraklion and drive west but now fly into Chania direct.
Quarantine's a pain but was always a possibility. Worth it though!
Safe trip back, we're going home tomorrow.

Sorry, thought you came west to Maleme, I know that someone from "here" does. Used to fly to Heraklion and drive west but now fly into Chania direct.
Quarantine's a pain but was always a possibility. Worth it though!
Safe trip back, we're going home tomorrow.

You too. We're back Thursday. At least I got some brownie points for volunteering to decorate the bedrooms during quarantine.

You might have extra space - there were a lot of extra flights laid on for people to beat the quarantine so your neighbour may have managed to grab a seat on one of them.

You might have extra space - there were a lot of extra flights laid on for people to beat the quarantine so your neighbour may have managed to grab a seat on one of them.

Apparently TUI have suspended flights so ours must be coming out empty.
Glad you got back ok . Thanks for the heads up. (y)

Apparently TUI have suspended flights so ours must be coming out empty.
Glad you got back ok . Thanks for the heads up. (y)

Have a safe trip back tomorrow.

After manically finding a new hotel, cancelling flights & ferry, we're staying just outside Marathon after a first few days in Athens. Checked the WHO assessment of infections in Greece, and they were describing clusters, rather than community transmission, which makes me think the country should be *relatively* low risk, and possibly safer than the UK.

Have a bunch of FFP3 (99% filtration) masks for flights, so hopefully all will be well.

Have a great time. As you know, the Greeks are very welcoming abd their economy needs every pound.
Off topic. Do you unscrew a neck and take a guitar?

Have a great time. As you know, the Greeks are very welcoming abd their economy needs every pound.
Off topic. Do you unscrew a neck and take a guitar?

Thanks, we're really looking forward to it. :)

I've never taken a guitar & TBH I'm not playing much these days. 30 years ago I'd have been tempted, but no longer. :(

This should probably go in the WAMT really!

Just checked in for our flight home from Skiathos with TUI to find that both of us have been allocated separate seats next to a stranger in different rows!!! :runaway:

WTF!! How is that helping in any way?? :rolleyes:

This should probably go in the WAMT really!

Just checked in for our flight home from Skiathos with TUI to find that both of us have been allocated separate seats next to a stranger in different rows!!! :runaway:

WTF!! How is that helping in any way?? :rolleyes:

Was there an option to buy allocated seats that you didn’t take up?

IIRC that's an expensive option with TUI. Mrs Nod paid RyanAir the extra both ways for us and she managed to get 1A & B for the return trip. LOADS of legroom and nobody sat in C.

Just back from Corfu- very quiet (taxi driver said 70% down). All restaurant staff wore masks but no cases there anyway. Off to Crete in two weeks. I believe they have 8 cases in Heraklion. All abit of a joke really!

Really?

41 cases on Crete in the last week and TUI have cancelled holidays in Chania and Heraklion from last Tuesday until at least 22nd Sept.
Yes really, a complete joke. TUI have cancelled flights because many people don’t want to go as they won’t be able to quarantin. Greece has an extremely low rate of cases and deaths (Crete has 4 new cases yesterday) - 5 died in the whole of Greece and most cases are on the mainland which you can still go to without quarantine (figure that one out!). It is after all not a dangerous virus for 99% of people... so yes a complete joke.
Not sure where you got your info but there were only 139 new cases across the whole of Greece week ending 8th September and Crete are averaging 3/4 a day mostly in Heraklion.

Yes really, a complete joke. TUI have cancelled flights because many people don’t want to go as they won’t be able to quarantin. Greece has an extremely low rate of cases and deaths (Crete has 4 new cases yesterday) - 5 died in the whole of Greece and most cases are on the mainland which you can still go to without quarantine (figure that one out!). It is after all not a dangerous virus for 99% of people... so yes a complete joke.
Not sure where you got your info but there were only 139 new cases across the whole of Greece week ending 8th September and Crete are averaging 3/4 a day mostly in Heraklion.

I was there up until yesterday and they had 20 new cases nearer the other end Malia I think.

I was there up until yesterday and they had 20 new cases nearer the other end Malia I think.
Yep in a week maybe not one day and they count people arriving who test positive within their figures too. Gov are picking the islands based on the resorts where youngsters party- Malia, Laguna etc. The numbers are so small its really not worth getting bothered about. They actually look as though they are averaging around 1/2 a day

Yep in a week maybe not one day and they count people arriving who test positive within their figures too. Gov are picking the islands based on the resorts where youngsters party- Malia, Laguna etc. The numbers are so small its really not worth getting bothered about. They actually look as though they are averaging around 1/2 a day

I was certainly less likely to contract it anywhere in Crete than I am at home in Rotherham/Sheffield.

Just got my PLF QR code for tomorrow morning. BA weren't allowing online check-in, and sent an email advising the flight is full and offering to carry hand luggage in the hold! Glad I've got decent masks - just hope they're enough.

Just got my PLF QR code for tomorrow morning. BA weren't allowing online check-in, and sent an email advising the flight is full and offering to carry hand luggage in the hold! Glad I've got decent masks - just hope they're enough.

I hope BA are a lot stricter than TUI were on making people wear them properly.
They made lots of announcements but never confronted anybody not complying.
Have a good flight. Enjoy the break.

Thanks - it feels like we need it this time. Just waiting for a computer to finish updating & then off to bed (4.15 start :p )

They are- flew to Corfu and back and all very civilised. One lady was given a mask as think something happened to hers and she didn’t have a spare. Flight was full, not allowed to queue for toilet. Snack served in plastic bag (water, crisps and cookie).Personal sanitation pack (hand gel and wipes). Disembarked 5 rows at a time.
My Easy Jet flight to Crete has been cancelled in two weeks but it looks like BA are still flying so holiday may still be on!

From the Virus PPE thread.

So we're at T5 Heathrow. This is the first time I've been with crowds since Covid (ignoring Tesco).

Quite frankly it wouldn't matter what the government said about keeping safe, and the British population are F morons. People everywhere without masks, or worse wearing them on their chins, walking through the middle of socially distanced groups queueing. All these people won't give a crap about the rule of six or keeping others safe.

I'd like to go round with a big stick, setting about those not masking.

Blame the government all you want for not acting swiftly at first, but the present resurgence is down to the public being crassly stupid. They almost deserve to catch it. Yes, I'm angry.

Don't know where you are getting your figures from but my source was this which shows a higher number.
https://www.atoz-guides.com/coronavirus-in-greece-update/

I entirely agree that Greece is much safer than the UK ... but still not a joke. The Greeks are taking it seriously.

Edit. Sorry, hadn't looked at your source (which is the same!) but you need to add the daily totals together to get the weekly one which is 1,563 for the week to yesterday with 48 in Crete.

Last edited:
Back