Home B&W film development, pre soak or not?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
So I've been home developing B&W film for about 8 months and some films I pre-soak and others I don't.

And I'm not entirely sure why

I'll soak Fomapan 120 but not bother with Ilford films.

What are the benefits, if any, of pre-soaking? And is it only worth doing on certain films?

Cheers.
Mark.

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I only pre-soak Fomapan film when using replenished Xtol as a re-usable developer, and that's because of the way it turns the developer green. I haven't pre-soaked when using a one-shot developer. I don't pre-soak any other films.

StephenM

I know a Blithering Idiot
Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
1. I've never pre soaked, but soon will because
2. A new developing tank mandates it in the instructions.

In favour:
Warms film and tank to correct temperature if required.
Can dissolve anti haltion etc as in post 2 and 4
Can help by wetting film and prevent air bubbles

Against
Slightly more dilute developer, as water will aleady be in the emulsion.

It might be interesting to know why at least one tank manufacturer mandates it.

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
I've done both, prewashed and not pre-washed and do prefer ( especially with fomapan ) to have most of the anti halation removed prior to developing (not that it causes any irregularities to the development if not done)

Depending where you are developing and what the ambient temperature is ( particularly in the depths of winter) a prewash can be a huge advantage e in bringing the tank to dev temperature .

I don't think pre-wash is an absolute necesitty but I personally prefer to add the additional stage of 5 mins or so to my film processing.

StephenM

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Since when has a Yorkshireman ever stuck to rules??:exit:
In this case, with a new tank and different method of loading, I'd prefer to reduce the variables,I can't see any compelling reason not to presoak, and it will let me see exactly how quickly a full tank fills and empties.

StephenM

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Which tank out of interest?

I'd have thought it would be more down to the film than the liquid delivery system
The Artifex, both 10x8 and 5x4 specify presoak is essential - for two minutes. My best guess is that it's in some way connected to the film holders into which the sheets are placed. They are basically metal sheets with lots of holes that hold the film on three sides like a film holder.

Edit My Images
Yes
Interesting - thanks. I use the SP445 for my LF and the sheets sometimes get a bit "stuck" on the holders with liquid trapped between the back of the sheet and the bars of the holder making them hard to remove. I'm guessing this doesn't happen with the Artifex?