Home developing 5x4 film?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Any recommendations on systems for developing 5x4 film at home in a daylight?

I've seen the Mod54 system using a Paterson 3 reel tank, wondered if anyone has used that? I also recall, some time ago, seeing a Paterson paper processor modded to take film?

Thanks

I've used the Mod54 system a lot, and I love it. To start with it can be a bit tricky getting the sheets onto the holder, but once you get used to it it's pretty straight forward. The only negative (pun intended ;)) is that it takes a litre of developer regardless of whether you're just developing one negative or six.

Following the "do as I say, not as I do" the MOD54 seems the best choice.

I use CombiPlan daylight developing tanks (6 sheets 5x4 max, 4 for added security, 1 litre) and have since I started developing 5x4. I have a MOD54 insert, but like Carl found it tricky to load and unlike Carl I had a Plan B.

The Paterson orbital processor can be used, and uses less chemicals; the downside is that agitation is continuous. Jobo make processors that can handle 5x4, and again continuous agitation. It's now many years since I made a Cibachrome print and I have a recollection that the print drum I used for that could be processed in daylight/safelight but I may be wrong. Finally, many, many years ago Paterson made tanks designed for colour negative printing - a process I've never tried.

Stearman Press make a 5x4 daylight developing tank that requires less solution.

And finally, there's the "taco" method involving a Paterson tank without spirals and rubber bands...

Any other daylight methods gratefully received.

I've got a Jobo system that take 5x4 but I don't really like it. I've got the Stearman thing but I've yet to try it.

I've got the stearman press one and I love it. It's super easy to load, very consistent and just all round works nicely. I've tried the taco method but just find it a bit of a faff

I've used my Stearman SP-445 a few times and it's really simple and doesn't use much developer either. The only negative with it is with the mk1 sheet film holders as they're solid. Since I bought mine via their Kickstarter, they've released updated holders which now have the middles cut out. I've cut mine myself with a Dremel and have had no issues with development since.

I forgot about that. I actually didn't have a problem with the solid holders with mine, but I also cut the middles out just in case.

I like my jobo system. It can be difficult to load but with some practice it's not bad.

I also recall, some time ago, seeing a Paterson paper processor modded to take film?

Thanks
That item of great beauty and wonder, the Paterson Orbital processor, occasionally to be found at great cost on the auction site. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paterson...224296?hash=item4b36294fe8:g:j3YAAOSwKcVaaw1S
Probably the easisest way to explain this is by reference to the Roger Hicks article below, since this also talks about roughening the base to prevent the film sticking The power base is gold dust.
http://www.rogerandfrances.com/photoschool/ps how orbital.html

Thanks Guys, very interesting. the Stearman tank looks interesting too, I'd not seen that before.

Are you all using a changing bags to load tanks or darkrooms? I will have to use a bag for now so I guess that needs to be factored in to what is going to be the easiest.

That item of great beauty and wonder, the Paterson Orbital processor, occasionally to be found at great cost on the auction site. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paterson...224296?hash=item4b36294fe8:g:j3YAAOSwKcVaaw1S
Probably the easisest way to explain this is by reference to the Roger Hicks article below, since this also talks about roughening the base to prevent the film sticking The power base is gold dust.
http://www.rogerandfrances.com/photoschool/ps how orbital.html

Yep thats the thing, thanks, does look a tad pricey.

I use my darkroom for loading the tank, as I ònly process at home. When away I use a Harrison changing tent to unload/load darkslides. The advantage of a tent over a bag is that the material is kept out of your way.

The bad thing about the Orbital is that it's a pain to maintain temperature since so little liquid is used and it's spread thinly over the orbital bed. Not so bad for b&w but next to impossible for slide chems.

I bought a jobbo processor off the bay. It's pricey but makes life a lot easier.

Back