Home development

Name
Bryan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey everyone - Its about time I sort my life out!

I'll be honest, I'm a bit bored of going down the pub most weekends and spending my time in front of the tv after work so its time to get my interests going again!

So - Money saved from going down the pub is going to go towards a new venture in photography - Home developing and scanning of my films! (Cliche as it sounds this really is the beginning of a new me - to save my self and my family :))
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So first things first

Which development kit would you all recommend? I will mostly shoot Black and white although color may happen once in a while! I will have NO dark room so best will be kitchen/Bathroom

Best books/websites to read up on how to develop? - I have no real previous experience in this so treat me as a complete noob!

Best {read budget} way to scan my newly developed negatives onto my mac? - No real major interest in printing and If i do decide to print - I can always send them off

Cheapest place to buy bulk film, maybe out of date so I can practice en masse? - Unless it will make a MAJOR difference to developing whats the best way to practice?

Bry

Last edited:
7 day shop for film, you will likely only muff one up maybe 2

ilford chems for BnW I use tetenal E6 for colour slides

epson v500 to scan

:D

will also need to either dark bathroom or buy changing bag, a patterson tank and some measuring stuff

Film... Ebay, ERA/Lucky bw £18 for 10 or Rollei retro £33 for 20.

Iford ID-11 for developing, dev/stop/fix £30

Tank and bag, £20

Cheapie scanner £40 Ebay.

Book? No point unless you want to print.

Film: Legacy Pro- £24 for 10
Smallest bottles of ilford chemicals available (don't do it too often!)
A mixture of second hand tank, graduated flasks, bag, squeegie etc off of here
Canon canoscan 9000f scanner- the most expensive bit at £180 but very good for the money!
I wouldn't bother with books. There are instructions on the ilford site and tons of videos on youtube!

Ok this all looks pretty good :) Is there a place where I can buy a "everything you need" type setup for dev'? Including dark bag etc?

Which development kit would you all recommend? I will mostly shoot Black and white although color may happen once in a while! I will have NO dark room so best will be kitchen/Bathroom
Well - there's a guy on fleabay doing starter packs - chemicals and hardware - might even combine postage... it's a good starter list of kit anyway. When you get used to it, and fancy trying colour, try the Tetenal C41 or E6 kits... but get used to Black and White first. Oops - forgot the changing bag.

Best books/websites to read up on how to develop? - I have no real previous experience in this so treat me as a complete noob!
Best resource ever imho is the Ilford "Processing your First B&W Film" .pdf file. Closely followed by asking lots of dumbass questions on here, like the rest of us did. :LOL:

Best {read budget} way to scan my newly developed negatives onto my mac? - No real major interest in printing and If i do decide to print - I can always send them off
I'll leave this to the Mac heads for a definitive answer, but the (non-pikey) clever money usually is for Epson V500 or Canoscan 8800F (both recently superseded by V600/8900F)

Cheapest place to buy bulk film, maybe out of date so I can practice en masse? - Unless it will make a MAJOR difference to developing whats the best way to practice?
7 Day Shop

Last edited:
Ok so far then:

Hardware/chemicals from ebay - £80.89 (not inc. Postage)

Scanner - average seems to be about £150

Film - £20ish

Total - £250 (or 78 Pints at my local :/)

Bry

Jeez - if I were you I would start with a cheap usb scanner - I *know* they ain't pro-class but unless you are printing big pics they are good enough to start with!

Ok arthur :) As i say its mostly for me to just look at my own shots - the odd photo will be printed but even then it'll be mostly 6x4 :)

Would you say Arthur/TBY the links provided are the answer? £150 minus scanner sound like a reasonable setup?

Bry

all good advice Bryan. You could buy bulk films and use a bulk loader to load. However, when I was researching - Rollei retro 36 exposure was cheaper than bulk films.
Its actually a very good move - and I hope you get out of it what you have set out to achieve ( family time). I personally could never get along well with development - found it boring. But thats just lazy me - most folks find it pretty cathartic.

Arthur had a reasonable scanner for sale - may be he still has. You could look at that

My only warning is that with a cheap scanner you will quickly get sick of the poor quality of anything more than a postage stamp sized image. Buy cheap, buy twice! ;)

Which is, of course. no longer true.

Ok arthur :) As i say its mostly for me to just look at my own shots - the odd photo will be printed but even then it'll be mostly 6x4 :)

Would you say Arthur/TBY the links provided are the answer? £150 minus scanner sound like a reasonable setup?

Bry

The links I poste were more of a guide to the bits you need, rather than a guaranteed cheapest way of sourcing the kit. It is a easy enough way to get hold of pretty much everything though. Okay, the scanner is a moot point - personally, I scan everything with a view that It may be printed at A3+ size - even if most of them aren't worth 6x4" if i'm honest - but I only print at A4 or above. Again, buying second hand can save money. I actually had one of the cheap USB scanners, which didn't agree with any of the 3 computers I tried it on over a period of 2 months. I'd been given the scanner by a friend who'd had a similar experience with it - to the point of returning it for an exchange 3 times thinking it must be broken. Eventually, I literally threw it out of a upstairs window out of frustration, and bought a 8800F, which i've been pretty much delighted with ever since. As they say in Septic Car reviews "your mileage my vary"

I maintain that *for the purposes of this thread* the usb scanners are plenty good enough - remember OP asked for cheapest/budget with a view to commercial printing if the pics warrant anything other than looking at personally.

I maintain that *for the purposes of this thread* the usb scanners are plenty good enough - remember OP asked for cheapest/budget with a view to commercial printing if the pics warrant anything other than looking at personally.

Looks like an agree to disagree! It could have been worse though, we could have suggested one of the big commercial nikon jobbies... ;)

Fair enough - they're effectively only a couple of quid anyway - If you grow out of one, there's always going to be someone else coming through here that'll take it off your hands (y)

I just got lucky - bought the 8800F and got a paying job from it the same week, digitising a mate's old portfolio of shots, which paid for the scanner anyway :woot:

My only warning is that with a cheap scanner you will quickly get sick of the poor quality of anything more than a postage stamp sized image. Buy cheap, buy twice! ;)

this, i bought a canon 2300f scanner fot £20 on ebay, yes it does the job but the quality is poor ewhich is a constant frustration, i need to upgrade

Arthur - Where would you suggest I get a cheap scanner? What do you use for your shots you post up here? They're plenty good enough for me :)

On a different note - Can't wait to order this lot, get paid saturday :LOL: Only problem is, Im off to the bulldog bash the following week... maybe order it on the 16/17th? :LOL: Really really can't wait lol gonna be an exciting project, and an opportunity to sort my life out... (After bulldog :LOL:)

...Only problem is, Im off to the bulldog bash the following week... maybe order it on the 16/17th? :LOL: Really really can't wait lol gonna be an exciting project, and an opportunity to sort my life out... (After bulldog :LOL:)

From what I remember of the couple of Bashes I went to there's plenty of photo-opportunities. Take a few rolls with you, don't forget! Even got through a couple of rounds of the "run what ya brung" on the Team Green 750 one year!

Last edited:
ZZE750 :) Pics....cmon u kno u want 2!! :)

Next year plan to have my trike down the strip :D

Bry

ZZE750 :) Pics....cmon u kno u want 2!! :)

Next year plan to have my trike down the strip :D

Bry

Believe it or not, I lost all the photo's of the bike, along with most of my Alps climbing shots and a large proportion of my old album collection to a "Mentaal Ex-girlfriend / Bonfire / Forgot to change the Locks" based incident :(

Believe it or not, I lost all the photo's of the bike, along with most of my Alps climbing shots and a large proportion of my old album collection to a "Mentaal Ex-girlfriend / Bonfire / Forgot to change the Locks" based incident :(

:crying::crying:Terrible! Take it you don't ride now days?

:crying::crying:Terrible! Take it you don't ride now days?

I was priced off the road years ago - used to insure bike 6 months fully comp, 6 months Fire and theft, only ran it in summer, and last summer quote was over a grand... before era of bike immobilisers/trackers etc. of course, plus the bike was "modified".

I've a mate who still rides, did a 2 week european tour last year and the photo's nearly had me selling a kidney and buying something but I'm not sure the reactions are up to it anymore. Maybe I've lost the essential "faith in my own immortality" :shrug:

I was priced off the road years ago - used to insure bike 6 months fully comp, 6 months Fire and theft, only ran it in summer, and last summer quote was over a grand... before era of bike immobilisers/trackers etc. of course, plus the bike was "modified".

I've a mate who still rides, did a 2 week european tour last year and the photo's nearly had me selling a kidney and buying something but I'm not sure the reactions are up to it anymore. Maybe I've lost the essential "faith in my own immortality" :shrug:

Its just like riding a bike...

Jump on and have a go - I know an ol' bloke near me, in his 70's and still rides a 750 trike around all day long... infact a better rider than a lot of others I know!

Ack... No license yet for the trike, won't be long though :clap:Just wish my funds didn't keep disappearing on tax bills and lenses, I should be concentrating on the trike... thats if I don't get distracted by a chopper in the meantime...
b1_140.jpg

what the hells the white thing in the red shorts next to the photographer...
(reflection in the primary(?) case)

Good point... didn't notice that straight away... Than again it is a lawn mower engine :LOL:

that's what a photo :geek: i'm getting - I noticed the reflection in the case, but didn't spot the lawnmower engine instead of the other agricultural engine!

that's what a photo :geek: i'm getting - I noticed the reflection in the case, but didn't spot the lawnmower engine instead of the other agricultural engine!

:LOL:

Here is a bit more what im after...

vtxtreme01.jpg

Although tbh, im more likely going to base it on a car engine... 2.8 v6 to be precise :naughty:

Bry

I love the custom engineering aspect of that kind of bike, and the chop's etc. but I always tended towards the road rocket type of bike - not always japanese (though there were a few...) LC350/OW hybrid, Laverda Montjuic & Jota (still remember that clutch), the big Kawa of course. If I was returning to the fold, it'd probably be on something red and italian (so I'd better start saving!)

For me I love the traditional roadrocket bike - Absolutely beautiful but as a rider I don't trust myself with that sort of pickup power. License looser is one thing, life looser is another thing though.

A 2.8V6 trike is still mental fast, but a damn site more controllable if things go a little pear shaped. Annnyywaaayy... did someone mention photography? :LOL:

Bry

Always fancied a big Kawa 2-stroke triple meself. As I heard someone say recently - 'fragile engine, lethal handling and 20 to the gallon. I want one!'

Always fancied a big Kawa 2-stroke triple meself. As I heard someone say recently - 'fragile engine, lethal handling and 20 to the gallon. I want one!'

A mate had one of those - for some reason the engine was really peakey when cold. I got on it on day, set off from his house, engine clap cold. I got 30 yards from the gate, blipped the throttle and looped it! Oh - and 20 to the gallon was optimistic... I swear you could smell the unburnt petrol in the exhaust gasses - perfect candidate for an afterburner I reckon!

Mate of mine had the suzuki kettle up in Wales... only a wee chap. Fell off at the lights once when he forgot he was on the 750 and not his more usual Monza... couldn't reach the ground :LOL:

Back