'Home' & 'Hell?'

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
It's been a busy week topped off by seeing the fabulous Duran Duran at the NEC last night. This week also saw the return of my Zeiss from it's brief vacation to Germany, so have been desperate to get out and take some piccies.
Anyways, got home at 3 this morning and back up at 645 ish to get to the beach - it indeed was a special nuclear sunrise - so bright in fact I couldn't seem to control any shots whatsoever - they're just red and orange.
I did however manage this shot which is a digital blend of two exposures, one for the sky and one for the foreground. Hardly any PP apart from a tad bit of split toning which I find so hit and miss generally.

Home by Neil Almond, on Flickr

Yes, this is the colour of this mornings sunrise - the best I can do, PP wise - again 2 exposures blended.

Hell? by Neil Almond, on Flickr

Last edited:
As usual very nice, what was up with the zeiss. Mine had a trip to germany as it was soft in the corners, it came back, slightly less soft but still soft. I sold it for a 16-35 and its been fine

Cheers Steve. Zeiss took a brief bath a month or so ago when I was visiting the Lake District. I sent it to a guy to be dried out and cleaned but on further inspection the image was off and there was a considerable amount of dust inside, so sent it to its spiritual home. Lens has been fully serviced, all elements cleaned, lens recalibrated. Took 2 weeks and £160.00. But eh ho.
Strangely enough Steve, got rid of my 16-35 for the Zeiss!

Reactions: ST4
Cheers Steve. Zeiss took a brief bath a month or so ago when I was visiting the Lake District. I sent it to a guy to be dried out and cleaned but on further inspection the image was off and there was a considerable amount of dust inside, so sent it to its spiritual home. Lens has been fully serviced, all elements cleaned, lens recalibrated. Took 2 weeks and £160.00. But eh ho.
Strangely enough Steve, got rid of my 16-35 for the Zeiss!

I would have kept the ziess had it been optically sound but the severe softness 1/8th into the frame was too much to bear and they fixed it, then it came back. The middle was tack sharp, but the 16-35 is consitantly ok accross the frame, slightly better in the middle.

I would have kept the ziess had it been optically sound but the severe softness 1/8th into the frame was too much to bear and they fixed it, then it came back. The middle was tack sharp, but the 16-35 is consitantly ok accross the frame, slightly better in the middle.

I personally couldn't handle the distortion on the 16-35 otherwise I probably would have kept it.
Did you ever notice corner discoloration on the Zeiss?

I personally couldn't handle the distortion on the 16-35 otherwise I probably would have kept it.
Did you ever notice corner discoloration on the Zeiss?

No corner discolouration at all. Colours and microcontrast was a great plus. I've spoken to a few people with ziess 21's and they've mentioned corner softness as issues. IMHO QC isn't that good, some have steller copies (if I had a steller copy I'd still have it).

The 16-35 is a bit mental, once at the short end but I tend to shoot reflections and keep the camera level on horizontal and vertical planes so its not that bad, a bit wavy but all in all, for the money, its fine and a match sharpness and contrast for my 24-70. I tend not to shoot wider than 20mm and by 22-28mm its really good with much better c/a than the 24-70...

Not much I can say about this shot Neil, other than nice :- "VERY NICE".(y)

George.

What a explosive sunrise indeed this morning! I did a couple of shots too and the sky is burning hot! :)

Cool stuff Neil!
…proper renditions.

I'm shooting tomorrow so hopefully it would be a repeat :)
Based on your Flickr photo stream, it seems we are not far from each other :D

Yeah I'm out in the morning for an hour or so. Corton possibly. Where are you based?

Cheers all, yes, no 2 was always destined for the bin......just had to show the colours....er reds.

Only criticism on No 1 is that I'd have preferred a bit more symmetry from each side, like the top of the posts below horizon but right side having sand seems wrong for the image. Not major criticism, into personal preference

Only criticism on No 1 is that I'd have preferred a bit more symmetry from each side, like the top of the posts below horizon but right side having sand seems wrong for the image. Not major criticism, into personal preference

Thanks for your comment Jim.

Love the second one Neil, can't believe you wanted to chuck that in the bin!

Cheers James.

Can possibly understand why you may have considered no#2 for the bin as there is a bit of purple fringing, but love it for the sublime colouring and cloud formations(y)

No #1 has your ubiquitous high quality of composition and processing, both shots are remarkably calm given the current storms - amazing contrast to the hellish conditions last night ................ :)

Can possibly understand why you may have considered no#2 for the bin as there is a bit of purple fringing, but love it for the sublime colouring and cloud formations(y)

No #1 has your ubiquitous high quality of composition and processing, both shots are remarkably calm given the current storms - amazing contrast to the hellish conditions last night ................ :)

Cheers for the comments!
Didn't really get any rain down here but its been blowing a gale for a good few days.

Back