Critique Home Made Bread

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
No food section so thought this maybe the place to post.

Reason for taking the photos.

Always fancied having a go at baking bread. After speaking with some friends the other weekend whom had just done this it inspired me to try.

I used the first recipe I came across. I was really surprised how easy the process is.

Enjoyable too.

On a plus point the bread turned out great.

Over the past few weeks I have been trying to make some backdrops out of pallet wood so this gave me an excuse to try and in incorporate those into some photos of the bread.

Sorry for the waffle but I didn't want to just dump the images.

Critique is more than welcome. "needed" to improve.

Gaz

Last edited:
The pallets work well for this.
Regardless of being first attempt the loaf looks good and, yes, bread making is really easy and most is far better than most shop bought. You may eventually like to try making sourdough bread which is a bit trickier but good fun and result, if you like that style.

Well this has made me hungry. So I guess that means your bread looks really appetising! The shots are great, the lighting works too as does the rustic aesthetic :)

That bread looks superb, if you don’t mind me asking which recipe did you use? :) We have a good bakery in our village but the prices normally mean they’re a treat rather than every day sort of thing :LOL:

Well this has made me hungry. So I guess that means your bread looks really appetising! The shots are great, the lighting works too as does the rustic aesthetic :)

That bread looks superb, if you don’t mind me asking which recipe did you use? :) We have a good bakery in our village but the prices normally mean they’re a treat rather than every day sort of thing :LOL:

Great pics, the only thing that stood out to me (may be my monitor) is that the bread looks a bit yellow inside, almost like a panettone.

The pallet wood works great and lighting is spot on.

T

Home made bread is often 'off white', especially if made with natural ingredients & avoiding chemically treated bleached flour. The paper towel the bread is sat upon looks white to me.

p.s. I like the photos & the bread looks very appetising.

Last edited:
Photos look great, as said the pallet wood works well, sort of rustic effect.
Love the well baked top of the bread, looks a lttle anaemic where the tin has been but the biggest issue for me is the large air-holes ... hate buttering over empty space! ;)

Love the well baked top of the bread, looks a lttle anaemic where the tin has been but the biggest issue for me is the large air-holes ... hate buttering over empty space! ;)
The holes are for filling with butter ;). Actually one of the few things I know about my maternal grandfather, who would have been born around 1865, is that he liked to fill the holes in the bread with butter, so I could say that‘s traditional for London :) Joking apart, I like it with holes.

Glad it's not just me with forum problems :)

Glad it's not just me with forum problems :)
Just tried to delete them but it is ‘hanging’ again, I’ll give up and try later.

The pallets work well for this.
Regardless of being first attempt the loaf looks good and, yes, bread making is really easy and most is far better than most shop bought. You may eventually like to try making sourdough bread which is a bit trickier but good fun and result, if you like that style.
Thanks Richard. Sourdough is quite a thing of the moment isn't it.
Would be great to try at some point. I think I'll give some easier options a try before building upto that ;-)

Thanks Andy that is a result if the iamges make you feel hungry.

I followed this recipe.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrUdtzXquWk

I used half the ingredients to get this one loaf. Except I used the full 7g sachet of yeast. I just ate the last of this loaf :)

Hope it's ok to link this way.
Great pics, the only thing that stood out to me (may be my monitor) is that the bread looks a bit yellow inside, almost like a panettone.

The pallet wood works great and lighting is spot on.

T
Thanks Tony.
Yes I see what you mean re the colour. Does look a tad warm on the overhead shot and the sliced one I'm not sure if the light shining through crust as a slight effect.
Happy the backgrounds work ok.
Home made bread is often 'off white', especially if made with natural ingredients & avoiding chemically treated bleached flour. The paper towel the bread is sat upon looks white to me.

p.s. I like the photos & the bread looks very appetising.
Really pleased the food looks appealing :)
:) Yes I thought it lacked some colour where the tin had been but couldn't bake it any longer as the top would be to burnt. It was baked well and although the top looks burnt it was spot on. Not too crusty. The holes became less the more I sliced into the loaf ;-)
Joking apart, I like it with holes.
:)
Might be useful to leave it to let Admin see
I did start a thread regarding this issue a while back.

I'm really chuffed I got some replies on this thread. I really enjoyed baking the bread and making the backgrounds. So to get helpful feedback is encouraging.

Gaz

Last edited:
Looks good Gary, I do enjoy proper bread.

My only attempts at making bread were with a bread maker, the results were fine. Probably akin to using a phone camera rather than a camera.

Try Paul Hollywood's Pecan bread, I make it about once a week, blooming lovely....

Try Paul Hollywood's Pecan bread, I make it about once a week, blooming lovely....

My only attempts at making bread were with a bread maker, the results were fine. Probably akin to using a phone camera rather than a camera.
My wife uses a Panasonic breadmaker all the time these days, it's brilliant. It's ages since we bought any shop bread. As there are no preservatives in it, the bread doesn't keep but that's ok as we never leave any long enough. She has made panettone & multigrain seeded loaves too.

Our son was so impressed with the Panasonic breadmaker he bought one too. He's more adventurous than his mum, he adds cheese, olives, bacon, nuts & seeds & all sorts of things to experiment.

I have tasted my mates and Sister in laws breadmaker bread. It's great !

Sounds great I will see if I can find the recipe.
He's more adventurous than his mum, he adds cheese, olives, bacon, nuts & seeds & all sorts of things to experiment.
I'd like to try and add ingrediants too. Sundried Tom's, Olives and seeds.
I do eat plenty of bread. Always have done so there is no danger of it ever going off before I eat it :)

Gonna try a pizza one evening this week.

Gaz

I love good bread, my local artisan baker does a wonderful selection of breads including various sour doughs and malted loaves ... bread you can taste, not like the tasteless supermarket 'foam' bread.

Great stuff - I particularly like photo no 4.

I bake bread at least once a week and the large air holes are a symptom of over-proving - letting the dough rise too much - but if you want butter dribbling down your chin perhaps that's OK.

My recommendation is to use a malted flour and add seeds - very tasty :D

Great stuff - I particularly like photo no 4.

My recommendation is to use a malted flour and add seeds - very tasty :D
Thanks for the feedback and the info regarding the proving. I guess the more I bake the more I'll get a feel for it.

It's a real eye opener that so many of you bake bread I've been missing out !!!

Gaz

Back