Home made diffuser experiment

Edit My Images
Yes
I heard someone refer to Fong LS rig as Tupperware, and I was bored, so I found an appropriate size bit of Tupperware to test the claim.

Here is the plastic

Tupperware_Diffuser1.jpg

Tupperware_Diffuser2.jpg

And here are the results, shot at a bookcase in a dark corner of my office. (Shots with the 50mm 1.8 ISO 100 1sec exp)

Comparison.gif

The tupperware definitely defuses the light better, the shadows are softer and the lighting more even.

So? You make the call! :naughty:

Can you post the fong and tupperware as seperate pictures side by side? it's hard to see in that animated gif.

I think the Fong Bong is good for medium sized rooms when you are not close to the subject, but up close (less than 6 feet) you might as well be using the stock diffuser with a white card. The tupperware seems to work better up close.

Nothing will do a great job when the subject is a bookcase! A bookcase is one of the worst examples!

Shoot an entire room for the test.

Also, my bet is that the tupperware will hold more light in and underexpose under the same conditions. My suggestion would be to shoot in FULL MANUAL mode for both camera and flash. This will show if the Lightsphere's exposure is "xyz settings," then the tupperware creation will be either under-exposed, porperly-exposed, or under-exposed at the same settings.

Do another test showing both devices at proper exposure. I personally dont see any piece of tupperware beating out the lightsphere. You dont think Gary Fong tested an entire 100 piece set of tupperware before he invented his masterpiece?!?!

You may need to use the cloud lightsphere...not just the clear (if that is what you are using).

the light does look softer, and less direct! whilst still lighting well!

may have to make one myself!

Or just dont use flash! I bet the no-flash image (properly exposed) will look better than all. Even if you have to go ISO 800, it will be better.

Nothing will do a great job when the subject is a bookcase! A bookcase is one of the worst examples!

I disagree. A bookcase is a perfect subject, lots of angles and shadows.

Besides, it doesn't matter, does it? It was an experiment. I have and use the Fong Bong because I like it, but I was curious to see what would happen.

I will shoot some test shots with people when I can get a model, but this was just for fun.

And no, I DON'T think Fong tested a set of tupperware first. He has a neat product but, like all such things, it has areas where it excels and areas where it doesn't.

I've seen these Fong type diffusers made from the white plastic milk containers. So why not Tupperware. Looks to have provided softer lighting at a minimal cost.

Paul

Back