Home made snoots - cheap as chips!

Hacker

TPer Emeritus
Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
I was bored this evening and after finding the HonlPhoto Speed Snoot I thought I'd have a crack at making something to do the same job.

After rooting around the garage I decided to keep it simple and use some card and gaffer tape. As you can see from this image I made two of differing lengths:

0802_Snoot_004.jpg

First test shot with the shorter snoot, it has a reasonably tight light throw and it seems to be okay for a bodge job.....:LOL:

0802_Snoot_001.jpg

The longer version might need a Mark II version as it has shiny cardboard on the inside and this appears to have caused some reflections although the spot of light is noticeably tighter on this one.....

0802_Snoot_002.jpg

Nice.

Might be a daft question, but what do you intend to use it for?

They are handy if you want to concentrate a beam of light. Now I've made it I'll have to find something to use it for. :D

I made one of these once using a kitchen toll tube and some softer cardboard to build the tube-flash interface. Worked great and was very good for casting small pools of light at close range and rim-lighting from behind ;) fnarr fnarr

Actually having thought about it, that might be quite cool if you have a few of them and want to highlight certain areas of a subject... Would be interested to see what you come up with! :)

I'm reminded of a few scenes in American Beauty. There's some really amazing lighting in there.

It's strange, but lighting is such a complex and important thing, yet so often composition and focus overshadow it. (terrible pun not intended).

Just my thoughts as a (relative) beginner.

Back