Home Network Storage

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
I am wanting to create a home network for the sole purpose of having a central location to store photo’s that I can access on my home PC and Laptop.

The Router is located upstairs and the network storage drive would also be located here along with the desktop. This can all be hard wired.
The laptop would be connected wirelessly and would be used the majority of time.

Does anyone have this set up and what it involved setting it up? Would there be any issues with the laptop running Windows 7 and the desktop running Windows XP?
Seems like it would do the job and allows 64 bit windows 7 and Windows XP I’m just not sure if different computers can run different OS?

Any help greatly appreciated.

This was the online storage device I thought of getting:
http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/network-storage/home/goflex-home/

Could anyone recommend another Network storage device?

Okay, sounds as straight forward as I'd hoped.

its gigabit but i doubt the router itll be connected to will be

I wouldn't be too surprised, my 2 year old Belkin router is gigabit and the Virginmedia superhub is gigabit too.
It'll be the wireless connection that'll be the slowest link in the chain anyhow.

I'd suspect it would be a pain using lightroom or ps on the laptop if the images are being accessed over wireless.

I imagine that the best way to work will be to save a local copy of the image and work with that. Then upload it.

Mu network has a Win 7 laptop and a number of XP desktops and it all works fine.

I imagine that the best way to work will be to save a local copy of the image and work with that. Then upload it.

If you open the image from the NAS Box in Photoshop (or any other software) you are effectively working with a local file until you decide to save it. The opening and saving through the wireless connection won't be as fast as via a cabled connection, but you'll hardly notice the difference unless your wireless connection is really ropey.

Back