Home printer cuts off the edges?

Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry all i wondered if you oculd advise why sending a jpeg to my printer it cuts off a percentage of the edges?

I use a Canon MG7550 and within Lightroom i'm using a RAW file probably croping (to a ratio) around the person i'd like to keep as the main feature. I then export this file to the size i'd like the image printed, exporting it in inches such as it could be 6x4, 5x7 or 8x10. I cant see it making any difference but as my printer is off premises i send it to a cloud then at the printer print from the cloud storage.

Alot of attempts and ink but 9/10 an edge is chopped off? Kind of frustrating and im wasting lots of ink.... Unless i tell the printer to put a border around the image and it prints fine!! but then the border makes my image not a full 6x4, 5x7 or 8x10.

Anyone got any ideas as to where i'm going wrong please (n):)

So you are sending the printer 3 different ratio images and expecting it to bleed edge print all of them on to the same size paper the size of which you do not mention.

On this surmise my reading of your is wrong I.e. not bleed as afteral this you mention sizes and surely that printer is loaded with a single size......what happens if you tell it to centre the image leaving trim edges for you???

More details please?

Last edited:
If you want the photo printed full bleed (no margin) then the printer MUST lose a small amount from each edge. My printer tells me how much is lost and it is then up to me to allow for that in my preparation. I suggest you look in the fine detail I am sure the printer documentation provides.

If it's absolutely necessary to have the full image on a (for example) 6x4 piece of paper, I'd resize the image to 6x4 then print it on a 5x7 sheet of paper before trimming it down to the final print size. More often, I'll print 3 resized images (6x4) on a sheet of A4 then trim it. However, vary rarely do I need the last mm or so along the edges so I just set the borderless option to minimal overlap so there's less lost.

I guess it depends on the printer, but when I print I get the option to "scale to fit" or something similar. This ensures that the full photo goes on the sheet of paper, but there'll be a bigger margin on one side.

Thanks for your time to reply. :)
Im pretty sure i'm exporting my JPEGS to the chosen picture size so i cant understand why if a jpeg is 6x4, 5x7, 10x8 size why i get it chopped off on the paper of that same size. There must be a hidden p[tion i'm not seeing @Peter B so will look for this scale to fit option. but then again printing to a piece of paper larger than the size needed and trimming it down is a good option too. Thanks all. #appreciated

On a different machine to the one my photo printer's connected to so can't check the actual wording but in one of the boxes in the printer driver is a "Print to Edges" button with a slider to select how much overlap there is (i.e. how much is effectively cropped off the edges). Have a play with that to see if the result is acceptable. IIRC, you'll have to select Printer Preferences to find the extended options then there are 4 or 5 tabs in there to look through.

Thanks for your time to reply. :)
Im pretty sure i'm exporting my JPEGS to the chosen picture size so i cant understand why if a jpeg is 6x4, 5x7, 10x8 size why i get it chopped off on the paper of that same size. There must be a hidden p[tion i'm not seeing @Peter B so will look for this scale to fit option. but then again printing to a piece of paper larger than the size needed and trimming it down is a good option too. Thanks all. #appreciated
The reason for the chopping off of the edges is that the paper is cut by a mass production machine so there will be slight variations. The alternative to chopping off a bit from each side of the picture is to have occasional bits of white paper at the edges.

The reason for the chopping off of the edges is that the paper is cut by a mass production machine so there will be slight variations.
Oh, that's interesting. I always thought it was because the printer's paper feed mechanism needed a bit of paper to grip in order to feed it through properly.

Back