Home studio setup questions / recommendations.....

Name
Matt Wright
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, I have been into photography for quite a few years now - but never tried my hand at any sort of studio photography (or anything with flash really.....). We have had a new arrival into our family over the past year - and now would really like to try my hand and some basic studio work to get some nice photos of him.
I guess I would need a background (seems to be plenty available on Amazon to buy).
But my real questions are about the lighting - I guess I would like (need?) a soft box or two? I have a real lack of knowledge here - so excuse the potentially naive questions - but do I need a flashgun to put in the softbox (I have a 430 exii)- or do they come with a built in flash?
Also how to you activate these? I would want it to be wireless - so is is some sort of receiver type thing on the hotshoe?

I have maybe £300 ish to spend. Which would include background/ stand - which I would like to be portable - and the lighting system (including whatever device activates the flash).
Is this a realistic amount of money? (I see sets on Amazon - of which I am sure is fine for the background - but not so sure about the lighting options!)

I would really appreciate feedback / advice / guidance / suggestions with regards to the questions - but also suggestions on which equipment to buy.

I have hopefully attached the sort of photo that I would like to try and recreate (hopefully this may explain my needs better than I can articulate with my lack of knowledge / terminology on this topic)
IMG_1468.jpg
Many thanks

Matt

Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of studio photography.

As short as I can.

Be careful shopping for 'studio' gear, it's easy to be sold a pup, so it's great you came asking for advice.

A 'softbox ' is just that, a large box that softens a light source.

Your light source can be either:
Continuous - crap for people unless you spend thousands, and even then not as good as flash
Speedlights, cheap to begin with, but have limitations (see advantages of studio heads)
Studio flash, mains powered, faster recycling times and with the advantage of 'modelling lights'

Your budget will get you a couple of studio heads, but here's the bad news...

The phot you linked is:
A, not a great example of the genre
B, difficult to do or improve on in a home setting.

To explain, 2 heads gives a great range of looks for studio lighting, in fact there's tons you can do with one light in a living room with no other kit. But to create a decent white background and a well lit subject requires about 20 ft from photographer to backdrop, and at least 3 lights.

If you decide to buy studio gear, check Lencarta (see recent posts) one softbox and a brolly is a decent start within your budget and their customer service is excellent.

If you want to try a kit with speedlights, I will spec you up a set, if you want to go budget mains lighting and are prepared to forego support, I can spec you some of that cheap kit too.

Backgrounds not included in the above, but have a think about the 'white' and we can help with alternatives.

I think though a studio setup sounds like nirvana youll probably end up using most of your time photographing on your knees maybe on belly even crawling around trying to get the little bugger in focus :) Having your speedlite on camera bouncing of walls and ceilings may be your only option then.

https://neilvn.com/tangents/bounce-flash-balancing-foreground-background-exposure/.
https://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/bouncing-flash/
https://neilvn.com/tangents/about/black-foamie-thing/

I think though a studio setup sounds like nirvana youll probably end up using most of your time photographing on your knees maybe on belly even crawling around trying to get the little bugger in focus :) Having your speedlite on camera bouncing of walls and ceilings may be your only option then.

https://neilvn.com/tangents/bounce-flash-balancing-foreground-background-exposure/.
https://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/bouncing-flash/
https://neilvn.com/tangents/about/black-foamie-thing/
Another way of looking at this is that if you're crawling around, the last thing you want to do is to have a flashgun on camera and to keep changing the angle of the flash, to bounce it off of walls and the ceiling, which will move their relative position as the camera moves - much easier to have studio lighting in the right position for the subject, and to only have the radio transmitter sitting on the camera.

Another way of looking at this is that if you're crawling around, the last thing you want to do is to have a flashgun on camera and to keep changing the angle of the flash, to bounce it off of walls and the ceiling, which will move their relative position as the camera moves - much easier to have studio lighting in the right position for the subject, and to only have the radio transmitter sitting on the camera.
And being forced to move lightstand, change output, angles etc? :) only option for keeping my Kids in the photozone was nailing them to the floor :D

Thanks all for your replies so far.

I have enjoyed looking at all the articles and comments you guys have made. I really feel like I am opening Pandora's Box and walking into a minefield with the amount of options of there and my limited knowledge ideas.

I think I have been able to narrow it down to wanting mains powered flash/softbox/umbrella type thing (possibly 2), something that can trigger it which is wireless and then a background stand (and obviosuly a background). It must be portable thought (well not really portable - more just quick and easy to setup / put away).

@Phil V if you were able to 'spec up' some options I would really appreciate that - just so I can get going in the right direction? (Like I have said - and you elude to - I have seen stuff on Amazon - But i'm potentially worried about the quality / use-ability etc

One other (probably) basic questions - whats difference so you get in using a Softbox vs an Umbrella

Thanks again for you comments and input on this so far.

Matt

Would this do me? (i.e. is it everything I need - including something that would trigger the flash via wireless) - then I would just need a background?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lencarta-...la-/332206346314?hash=item4d590a904a#viTabs_0

Matt
Those heads were designed a few years ago, and were sold at £200 each, a bit dated in some ways but very highly specified and will do everything you need them to do, and more.
One other (probably) basic questions - whats difference so you get in using a Softbox vs an Umbrella

Matt
Basically, a softbox combines the individual qualities of both a shoot through umbrella and a softbox, i.e. the light can if required be both soft and controlled..
There are 2 basic types of umbrella, reflective ones (which are available with choices of white or silver surfaces) face towards the flash head and the light from the flash head hits them and bounces back. This gives a reasonably controlled light but it can never be a soft light because the fact that the flash head is nearer to the subject than the umbrella means that the light can never be close enough to be soft.
Shoot through umbrellas work the other way round, the light shines through the material. Therefore, the material can be placed as close as you like to the subject, producing soft light if you want it. But, about 60% of the light passes through to reach the subject and the other 40% bounces back, and when used indoors it then usually bounces off of nearby walls, ceiling etc., destroying your control of the light.

That's why a softbox is generally better, no light spill out of the back (unless you buy a junk one) and very even, diffused light from the front (unless you buy a junk one).

Yes I'd buy that.
Thanks Phil - and in your experience that looks like decent value for money ( and probably more than ample for what I need / my experience)? And def does everything I need? (it's the triggers that worry me - I have no clue on this...)

Thanks

Matt

Those heads were designed a few years ago, and were sold at £200 each, a bit dated in some ways but very highly specified and will do everything you need them to do, and more.

Basically, a softbox combines the individual qualities of both a shoot through umbrella and a softbox, i.e. the light can if required be both soft and controlled..
There are 2 basic types of umbrella, reflective ones (which are available with choices of white or silver surfaces) face towards the flash head and the light from the flash head hits them and bounces back. This gives a reasonably controlled light but it can never be a soft light because the fact that the flash head is nearer to the subject than the umbrella means that the light can never be close enough to be soft.
Shoot through umbrellas work the other way round, the light shines through the material. Therefore, the material can be placed as close as you like to the subject, producing soft light if you want it. But, about 60% of the light passes through to reach the subject and the other 40% bounces back, and when used indoors it then usually bounces off of nearby walls, ceiling etc., destroying your control of the light.

That's why a softbox is generally better, no light spill out of the back (unless you buy a junk one) and very even, diffused light from the front (unless you buy a junk one).

Thanks Garry

Does that set on ebay do basically the same as this one straight from their website https://www.lencarta.com/smartflash-3-softbox-umbrella-lighting-kit-600w If so - is it worth trying to find the extra £120 (I know that's probably quite a subjective question...).

One other question - you guys seems to have a good knowledge of Lencarta from reading previous threads - do they regularly have sets like this on ebay (i.e. are they likely to therefore have newer sets etc?) - again I appreciate the answers to all of those things are very subjective!

Thanks so much

Matt

Thanks Phil - and in your experience that looks like decent value for money ( and probably more than ample for what I need / my experience)? And def does everything I need? (it's the triggers that worry me - I have no clue on this...)

Thanks

Matt
Yes.

To answer your previous question, softboxes and brollies both produce a large diffused light, but a softbox has a more controlled shape, light comes out of a brolly in all directions, which means it'll bounce off walls and ceilings and floors which makes it harder to control shadows*.

* the whole point of controlling light is to control shadows, shadows create form.

Triggers are easy, start from the simple, your camera sends a 'fire' signal through the hotshoe to a 'flashgun' when the shutter is fully open (so you use a relatively slow shutter speed, but the actual 'exposure' is the speed of the flash pulse which is very fast. A radio trigger (camera thinks it's a flashgun) turns that signal into radio waves which are picked up by a receiver meaning we no longer need a wire to connect the flash.
Additionally the trigger can be used to control the power of the flash, turn on the modelling lamp and the ready beep. The flashes can be controlled independently with the trigger.

Thanks Garry

Does that set on ebay do basically the same as this one straight from their website https://www.lencarta.com/smartflash-3-softbox-umbrella-lighting-kit-600w If so - is it worth trying to find the extra £120 (I know that's probably quite a subjective question...).

One other question - you guys seems to have a good knowledge of Lencarta from reading previous threads - do they regularly have sets like this on ebay (i.e. are they likely to therefore have newer sets etc?) - again I appreciate the answers to all of those things are very subjective!

Thanks so much

Matt
Yes, they are almost identical in terms of performance. The UltraPro kit on ebay has physically larger heads, not a problem. The SmartFlash kit has full remote control built in to the radio trigger set, the UltraPro doesn't, and is being supplied with what I assume to be a basic radio trigger. From memory, Lencarta does still have some of the UltraPro remote control transmitters in stock but they were clunky and personally I never bothered to use them.

For the last few months Lencarta has been sorting out discontinued products and selling them on ebay, mainly to clear warehouse space, which is needed because they are growing very rapidly. I have no idea what's left, but I doubt whether these offers will be available for much longer

Yes, they are almost identical in terms of performance. The UltraPro kit on ebay has physically larger heads, not a problem. The SmartFlash kit has full remote control built in to the radio trigger set, the UltraPro doesn't, and is being supplied with what I assume to be a basic radio trigger. From memory, Lencarta does still have some of the UltraPro remote control transmitters in stock but they were clunky and personally I never bothered to use them.

For the last few months Lencarta has been sorting out discontinued products and selling them on ebay, mainly to clear warehouse space, which is needed because they are growing very rapidly. I have no idea what's left, but I doubt whether these offers will be available for much longer
The kit linked is Smartflash Garry, it's being advertised as ex-demo.

Two different links.

One of smart flash (£400).

One is ultra plus (£280 on eBay)

Phil - would that change your advice?

Thanks Garry, you mention the radio control - what exactly does it not do on the ultra plus - I have to be honest I didn’t even realise they came with radio controls....
In my head I guess I want it to trigger the flash - can you also make changes to the power it is using (how much it flashes?) from the camera / controller - or do you need to go to the actual flash head each time? (Hope that is clear - again feel like my lack of terminology may not be making it 100% clear...)

Thanks

Matt

I have an Ultra pro 300, i bought it 2nd hand and love it. When I do a home shoot I use my 2 lower powered Smartflash 2's left and right of the subject and the 300 as my main light.

I have an Ultra pro 300, i bought it 2nd hand and love it. When I do a home shoot I use my 2 lower powered Smartflash 2's left and right of the subject and the 300 as my main light.

Thanks Brian - easy to use for a beginner? Is there anything you wished it did?

Thanks
Matt

Thanks Brian - easy to use for a beginner? Is there anything you wished it did?

Thanks
Matt
Hello Matt, being something of a novice, it does all I need it to do. With the advances in technology it's not always easy to purchase something that is "future proof" but for what you want to achieve the Ebay items linked above are perfect for you.
Brian.

Two different links.

One of smart flash (£400).

One is ultra plus (£280 on eBay)

You're probably not going to care about any difference between those heads, I don't know what their warranty support is like for their eBay sales but it's a large saving between the two kits and as they've got offers on the listing it should be even cheaper.

Ahh... I was replying to this one, which is an UltraPro
Would this do me? (i.e. is it everything I need - including something that would trigger the flash via wireless) - then I would just need a background?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lencarta-...la-/332206346314?hash=item4d590a904a#viTabs_0

Matt
Thanks Garry, you mention the radio control - what exactly does it not do on the ultra plus - I have to be honest I didn’t even realise they came with radio controls....
In my head I guess I want it to trigger the flash - can you also make changes to the power it is using (how much it flashes?) from the camera / controller - or do you need to go to the actual flash head each time? (Hope that is clear - again feel like my lack of terminology may not be making it 100% clear...)

Thanks

Matt
Triggering and remote control aren't the same thing. All remote control units also trigger, but not all radio triggers provide remote control.

Radio control does allow you to change the power setting on each flash head individually, also allows you to change the brightness of the modelling lamp, whether it beeps or not, from the unit fitted to the camera hotshoe. Most current models have that, the UltraPro doesn't, which means that you have to set these controls on the back of the flash unit. In my experience, this can be a big advantage when you can't get to the flash head easily, for example when it's on a boom arm, high up, but for most situations it just doesn't matter.

But, to add a complication, the UltraPro kit has built in receivers, so has the potential to have full remote control IF you also have the remote control unit, which isn't included here but which I believe Lencarta still have available - but, as I said earlier, it's a clunky design (nowhere near as easy to use as the latest offerings).

You're probably not going to care about any difference between those heads, I don't know what their warranty support is like for their eBay sales but it's a large saving between the two kits and as they've got offers on the listing it should be even cheaper.
It doesn't seem to say on the Ebay listing, but I'm pretty sure it's a 1 year warranty on used items, and the warranty is real, Lencarta has its own in house repair department.

Ahh... I was replying to this one, which is an UltraPro

Triggering and remote control aren't the same thing. All remote control units also trigger, but not all radio triggers provide remote control.

Radio control does allow you to change the power setting on each flash head individually, also allows you to change the brightness of the modelling lamp, whether it beeps or not, from the unit fitted to the camera hotshoe. Most current models have that, the UltraPro doesn't, which means that you have to set these controls on the back of the flash unit. In my experience, this can be a big advantage when you can't get to the flash head easily, for example when it's on a boom arm, high up, but for most situations it just doesn't matter.

But, to add a complication, the UltraPro kit has built in receivers, so has the potential to have full remote control IF you also have the remote control unit, which isn't included here but which I believe Lencarta still have available - but, as I said earlier, it's a clunky design (nowhere near as easy to use as the latest offerings).

Thanks Garry. In all likelihood it’s just going to be used in my living room - so probably not a necessity
Thanks
Matt

If you do go for the linked set-up I can tell you now that when you feel and hold the Ultra pro 300's you will just "Know" you have something well made and robust, they just ooze quality fabrication.
Brian.

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread.

I ended up ringing Lencarta and having a very good and useful chat with Andy there. It was great to combine your advice / opinions with his knowledge of their stock etc. They are putting together a package for me with some Smart Flash 2's with all the relevant needed accessories at reasonable price. I have been very impressed with all the help you guys and Lencarta have given so far.... Looking forward to finalising what I order from them and starting to play around with it (I am sure there will be many more questions coming your way.....)
Just need to sort a background now...

Thanks

Matt

Back