Homeless Holga - The Images - Roll 5 in - Journey Now Complete

TheBigYin

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Well - Here we go then, First roll from the Homeless Holga arrived in the post yesterday. Wasn't able to do anything until this morning, but got up bright and early and souped the film before breakfast. I can state quite emphatically that little or nothing puts you off your Weetabix like the smell of C-41 Blix :puke:

Anyway - it looks like the roll wasn't a total write off...

Frame 1 - Me - My Favourite Tree...

Portra160NC_2011-08-04_001.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

I have this annoying habit of taking a shot of this tree with every camera/lens I aquire. Seemed fitting to start the roll with this shot

Frame 2 - Double Exposure Me/Jim (Menthel)

Portra160NC_2011-08-04_002.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Frame 3 - Jim

Portra160NC_2011-08-04_003.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Frame 4 - Jim

Portra160NC_2011-08-04_006.jpg
by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Don't know where the horrible dots on the image came from - i'm assuming that it's my chemicals that are stuffed :( Time for some new C41 I guess!

Frame 5 - Jim/Alan

Portra160NC_2011-08-04_005.jpg

Frame 6 - Alan

Portra160NC_2011-08-04_004.jpg

Last edited:
Frame 7 - Alan

Portra160NC_2011-08-04_007.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Frame 8 - Alan/Richard

Portra160NC_2011-08-04_008.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Frame 9 - Richard

Portra160NC_2011-08-04_009.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Frame 10 - Richard

Portra160NC_2011-08-04_010.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Frame 11 - Richard/Bill

Portra160NC_2011-08-04_011.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

I guess this was where the Foam Rubber that holds the film in place peeled off and managed to get wrapped up with the film and backing paper

Frame 12 - Bill

Portra160NC_2011-08-04_012.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Some interesting artifacts on this one, including a few "print through" symbols that appear to be from the backing paper...

Did anyone mention Happy Accidents :LOL:

Last edited:
Holga madness! Slight confusion over frames though, 4 isn't mine, number 6 with the bus in is. What a great project though!

:LOL: that's what I get for rushing the scanning - I didn't actually check the frame numbers on the film border! Should be right now.

Well that turned out ok I reckon! I'm actually quite pleased with my railway one, it didn't work at all on digital!

A couple of the shots are actually worryingly good from a plastic toy camera with a mis-shapen blob of glass for a lens. I do like the double-ey in #8, and I actually quite like the other one in #2, Fascinating to see some Yorkshire Grass and Trees flourishing down in the smoke :)

Well that turned out ok I reckon! I'm actually quite pleased with my railway one, it didn't work at all on digital!

yeah - pity that it looks like my C41 chemicals are looking like they're munged - hence the nasty black/blue blobs all over the shot. Guess it's time to spend some money and get another colour kit :shrug:

As for the photos, I like the way the 1st DE came out, with St John's wood highstreet appearing out of a wood! Best photo from that roll is definately the crane though, works really well!

They all have images on them which is a bloody good start but most of them are actually quite good. Wonder if the heat from that first bout of hot weather caused the foam pads to go before I did my shots? The last on is very 'lomo holga' with all the artefacts, imagine how long that effect would take in photoshop :LOL:

Bill you were unlucky there mate, the DE did not work,but the #12 is very good if it had come out OK, but having said that I LIKE IT.(y):clap:

As the neg's came out of the soup, I saw the last couple of frames and my heart sank, tbh. It just seemed such a shame that after taking up the job of switching films, and being nobbled for the extra postage with the film, that the camera chose to spit it's insides into the film and screw up like that. Hopefully, the first couple of frames on the next roll should make up for it though Bill.

:thinking: I think when we get to the end of the list, we may well need to have a Reshoot list... Anyone who wants a "proper" go with the camera gets it to shoot a entire roll of film of their own choice, so that they at least come out with something for their postage money... Preference on this list given to people who didn't have a completely positive experience with the initial project. That's always assuming that the camera actually makes it all the way around without falling completely to bits!

Probably going to be slated for this, but what the hell.

ohIforgot.jpg

As the neg's came out of the soup, I saw the last couple of frames and my heart sank, tbh. It just seemed such a shame that after taking up the job of switching films, and being nobbled for the extra postage with the film, that the camera chose to spit it's insides into the film and screw up like that. Hopefully, the first couple of frames on the next roll should make up for it though Bill.

:thinking: I think when we get to the end of the list, we may well need to have a Reshoot list... Anyone who wants a "proper" go with the camera gets it to shoot a entire roll of film of their own choice, so that they at least come out with something for their postage money... Preference on this list given to people who didn't have a completely positive experience with the initial project. That's always assuming that the camera actually makes it all the way around without falling completely to bits!

Mark, Do not reproach yourself one bit this has been fantastic and I guess everyone feels the same.

TOP RATED MAN:(y)(y)(y)(y)

I actually like it with all the crap and artefacts, it was never supposed to be a fine art pic of super high fidelity. It was a bit of fun and IMHO it kinda ticks most of the cliched holga/lomo boxes, I like the way it came out, sharp enough in the middle, good colour and the lightleaks/print through didn't encroach on the subject. The double was a shame, but as much for Richard as me.

Wonderfully Holgary! Particularly love the double exposures and the detached foaminess :clap:

Okay - the long awaited Roll 2 has arrived...

Image 1.

FP5_2012-02-03_01.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Hadn't actually realised that there was an image on this bit of film - it was "a bit thin" let us say... Hence the squeegee parking marks etc. :confused: I've done my best to get something back - but I'm afraid It needed so much gain out of the scanner, it's picked up every spot of dust/imperfection/squeegee mark, and it's a bit "all noise no signal, I'm afraid" - still - I'm sure someone will love it...

Image 2.

FP5_2012-02-03_02.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

we're definitely getting some "backlash" with the winding on, now that the foam bits in the camera have detached themselves. Hopefully, Andy's bit of card trick on the next roll will kill this off, and mean we'll get some interesting stuff with the double exposures again, but it's looking like something quite interesting/architectural has sort of gone barely noticed here, just slightly impinging on the first portrait and the second tree shot...

Image 3.

FP5_2012-02-03_03.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

The boats come out pretty well, marred only by the slightly under-generous winding on and consequent overlap on the shots, and a bit of a "wrinkle" in the film, visible in the lighter crescent shape above the pointy-end (don't you love these nautical terms) of the boat.

Last edited:
I like the last one, nice feel to it. Shame we only got 3 shots out of the roll though. :shrug:

Andy

Calm down Andy - that's just the FIRST three...

theres another 8 or so more yet!

Image 4.

FP5_2012-02-03_04.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Stonking Image - Chapeau - whoever did that one!

Image 5.

A double-ey, this time...

FP5_2012-02-03_05.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Image 6.

FP5_2012-02-03_06.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Image 7. (Andysnap)

FP5_2012-02-03_07.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Well - Images really - but I didn't have the heart to separate these two, so they're shown here as they are on the negative, joined forever...

Image 8.

FP5_2012-02-03_08.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Another "thin" one I'm afraid... Wasn't much point in giving this the full treatment tbh - sorry :(... Shown more for the sake of completeness :(

More to follow... scanner's churning as I type ;)

Last edited:
I jumped in with both feet again, glad there's some more to come. I quite like the conjoined twins shot, they were the first two I took so I presume they hadn't wound on properly.

Andy

they were on "guide frame no." 12-14 Andy... so we've still another 3 frames of Holga-ey loveliness to come ;)

Last edited:
well all four of my shots appear to be missing - or combined in frame 8 - there should have been two shots of branscombe and two of my collie dog - never mind hey , i'll just blame the royal mail

The quality of image #4 is great great and I like what is going on in image #9. it,s good to have the Holga back on track, well done Mark on a fast film turn around.

It's arrival just happened to coincide with my having a day off the bike, so I'd a free couple of hours to get things sorted. Plus - when I saw the roll of film, I just couldn't wait...

So....

anyone owning up to taking the shots then...

3 - walsh (Scott)
4 - walsh (Scott)
5 - walsh (Scott)
7 - Andysnap (Andy)
9 - Andysnap (Andy)
10 - Andysnap (Andy)
11 - Andysnap (Andy)

(if you want to be in the running for getting the camera at the end of the project, we need to know who you are :LOL:)

I assume 8 must be mine but I have no idea what its of, 9.10 and 11 are defo mine taken in Delamere Forest along with the conjoined twins in image 7.

Cheers

Andy

i'm confused - if 7 is andys then 8 can't be mine - but 5 and 6 arent mine either :shrug:

theoretically 7,8,9 and 10 should have been yours Pete - 7 shared with whoever was before you, and 10 shared with Andy, though if the film had "loosened" itself up while in transit, it could well be that Andy's images have "overshot" all yours...

I'm guessing I've stuffed up the numbering, and it's 3,4,5 thay are yours Scott, and 6 is someone elses...

Bad News People - the third roll came out of the soup completely and utterly devoid of any images whatsoever.

I'm guessing my chemicals were munged, so it's all my fault - anyone on that roll wanting a re-shoot, I'll kick in another roll of film/processing and pay the postage around to you all. My damned silly fault for trying to scrimp on the chemicals.

Only one thing left to say, really...

SORRY!

Its not your fault Mark - just one of those things - if people want another go I'd certainly kick in a roll of film as you are already putting a lot into this project

(incidentally are we sure its your chemicals and not a helga malfunction ? )

Back