Homeless Holga - The Images - Roll 5 in - Journey Now Complete

well - the 2 rolls of in-date fuji 35mm shot on my EOS-3 this afternoon and put through the soup at a) the out of the manual times/duration and b) the same time/duration the holga film got (which was adjusted upwards as being the 11th roll on the same chemicals) both came out of the tank clean pure and orange too...

I've a 3rd roll of 35mm I shot this afternoon, which I am going to use to test my E6 chemicals with - and if they're still working, I may just cross-process the next colour film that comes in from helga... The B&W, I'm not too worried about ;)

Mark can you explain whats going on, as i dont seem to get the excitement

Mark can you explain whats going on, as i dont seem to get the excitement

There's a 11 page thread in Film and Conventional that explains it best...

but put simply, I put a plastic camera and 5 rolls of film in a box, and post it around 22 people. They all take 4 shots, 2 of whics are double exposures and cross over onto the prior and next peoples photos. When the roll of film's complete, they send it back to me and I process and scan it (or ruin it and feel awfully guilty about ruining 4 peoples work as the case may be!)

Thanks Mark. I doubt you could ruin them anymore.

Are you suggesting that Helga the Holga is not the height of photographic sophistication or that all the participants are crap photographers?

FWIW I am loving this thread....some of the shots are ace given the camera and all the potential hiccups....well done to all invloved!!
The fact that the last roll has gone t*ts up is a shame but it's all a bit of fun is it not?.....I would love to be a part of something like this so if anyone ever wishes to kick something off that involves europe then count me in!

Are you suggesting that Helga the Holga is not the height of photographic sophistication or that all the participants are crap photographers?

Nick...Im saying i dont see the fascination

The fascination is in the unknown, using a camera with 2 shutter speeds and 2 aperture settings, viewfinder loosely correlating to what actually is recorded and no way of accurately focussing.

Until the roll is developed and scanned, we have absolutely no idea what we, or anyone else has actually done

All fun and games

...Im saying i dont see the fascination

Dave - that's fine - not everyone "gets it" and our enjoyment of the project is not in any way dependent of your understanding or interest.

If you have nothing of a positive nature to bring to the party, I suggest you spend your time in areas of the forum that give you more pleasure - we're a broad church at TP, and there's something for everyone. Personally for example, nothing bores me more than shots of racing cars and people playing sports - so, I don't post there (unless forced to do so as part of my moderators duties).

To be honest Dave, I don't see what's not to get. It's just a different approach to creating an image.

Why don't you join us when we start our next film wasting project? It's good fun and you might enjoy it (y)

Last edited:
Last edited:
2 is my double-exposure
3 is mine (result of a few too many beers and a far too fast shutter)
4 is mine

Cant see my final shot though, my double exposure with whoever it was now (maybe misterE)

Last edited:
7 (double exposure with MisterE), 8, 9, 10 and 11 (Double exposure with Guy) are mine. For some reason it seemed that MisterE only didn't take his last shot or double exposed it so I took one extra photo to compensate as 8 was supposed to be the double exposure. You can't really see my part of the double exposure but if you look carefully on and above the closest gravestone, you can faintly see some grass/trees and a statue (which I was taking the picture of!) in the Arboretum Nottingham, just unlucky/unexpected that our pictures would be so similar they'd literally blend into one another!

Number 8 was taken just out of time, the two guys in the shadows under bridge in the Arboretum started 'pretend fighting' with each other about half a second after I took it and in the shadows it would have made a great picture! I thought I might have got it.

I accidentally double exposed number 9 as I forgot to wind it on and of course Helga has no double exposure preventer! As so I've got an interesting picture of the 'Victoria Centre' and its bus station in the middle of Nottingham, combined with an electricity pylon, the bridge taking the A52 over the river Trent and the oilseed rape in the field I was taking it from!

Number 10 was a substitute for the one above as I accidentally double exposed it, still I think the blue skies and the softness of the closest pylon make it look quite good.

I especially like my last one as coincidentally Guy's picture of the lit tower matches the top of the pylon almost exactly, along with the ghostly image in the sky of what looks like a street light and the bright buildings behind.

Great work everyone!

No 1 and half of No 2 is mine and although 1 is a little dark I'm pleased with the double exposure with Rob.

Overall I'm impressed that we managed to get a complete roll out of Helga, she's holding up quite well.

Rhody, John Mc (who hasn't been seen or heard of since 19/4/2012), Superewza and Me.

TheBigYin said:
Rhody, John Mc (who hasn't been seen or heard of since 19/4/2012), Superewza and Me.

Is that light at the end if the tunnel? Or light coming coming in under the darkroom door?

When I sent it onto Guy there was a roll of Kodak Ektacolor 160 and one of Ilford FP4+ in the box so I don't know what he's loaded - perhaps we might be able to give those on the lost roll 3 a second chance with the second film?

Thanks Mark. I doubt you could ruin them anymore.

Great contribution, thanks for posting.

Anyway...

...just stumbled across this thread (don't usually go into the Film section) but I love the idea you've got going here and have enjoyed reading the thread!

I look forwards to seeing more.

quality...how random some of those shots are....

Will be following this for sure

Despite thin negs there are some cracking shots in there. The first one for me is an absolute beauty!

Thanks for all your hard work on this Mark.

Were some of these supposed to be double exposures still? It's not obvious which!

Well done to the last roll shooters, the shot of the what looks like a ships promenade deck has a great feel about it almost 1930,s continental.

A special thanks to Mark on a great idea and all his hard work in seeing it through to its conclusion.

anyone want to own up to the shots on roll 5 then - I know the last 4 are mine, but other than that...

Thanks to Mark for all your hard work and for suggesting this in the first place, it was a great challenge, I really enjoyed the opportunity to try a different camera and be part of the traveling camera community.

And I'm really impressed at the quality of the images you managed to squeeze out of Helga, you certainly have the knack.

As far as redoing the missing film, tbh unless there is a real desire from the others I think Helga could do with a bit of a rest.

I remember replacing the foam in the film compartments when Helga was with me, how's it holding up, is it still in place or has it disintegrated?

Last edited:
anyone want to own up to the shots on roll 5 then - I know the last 4 are mine, but other than that...

Sorry for the delay in replying - only went back to work this week after a walking spree in the Peak District - cold, wet, icy winds - great food and great company and my dog had a holiday romance with the village B+B working cocker spaniel - the dirty beast :)

My first shot was the Spinnaker Tower (002) and ended with the village church (005)

I wound on automatically after the last shot (forgetting about the double exposure Duh) so I'm really sorry I screwed that one up.

The annoying thing was I composed it bearing it in mind the double exposure for the next person, then someone from the village came up to talk about Helga and why I was taking pics of the Church etc etc.

After a great chat about film cameras and without thinking, I wound on to the next shot. Stupid is as stupid does.

The ships prom deck struck me with a 30's feel too - thanks medway.

The curved or vaulted brick graves fascinated me - I hadn't seen anything like it before.

Big thanks too to Mark for all his hard work in producing the results he has.

It was great to be part of the experience - thank you

Last edited:
Back