Honey Bee and Ichneumon Wasp

Edit My Images
No
Ahh it seems our Sedum is now the plant of choice for the garden visitors with it's lovely pink flowers. The potentilla which was previously the haven has somewhat become second best (although the Hovers are still frequenting it).

Anyway, our Sedums (of which we have about 6 in the garden) were teeming with Honey Bees. Managed to get a shot that I like but was a touch difficult because they seem to like turning their backs to you as soon as you approach :)

IMG5324.jpg

Also, whilst following the bees, I noticed this rather nice Ichneumon Wasp flitting about. It eventually alighted on a sedum leaf and then let me coax it onto my hand.

IMG5333.jpg

IMG5339.jpg

Thank you Tim :)

Cheers All :), much appreciated.

More super clarity. Very good. My favourite of these is the middle one - composition, colours, clarity of course, and nicely rendered blacks, which can be a bit tricky.

You are making me wonder about using flash more - I like the way the raised (and presumably in motion) rear legs in #3 are not blurred, and the subject detail/countours are showing nicely in all three. Yes, something to ponder there. Thanks for sharing these.

Thanks Nick.

I find using flash really good when shooting macro. One for freezing motion of course as you have covered but also to bring out extra detail. Natural light macros are very nice but often I find I have to push the ISO up to speed the shutter up and the result can be too much noise as the 400D really doesn't handle ISO above 400 very good and even 400 is a little too grainy for macro on that particular camera.

As and when I get the chance to upgrade, I know I'll be able to attempt more natural light macros, OR natural light macros with a touch of fill flash.

Thanks Nick.

I find using flash really good when shooting macro. One for freezing motion of course as you have covered but also to bring out extra detail. Natural light macros are very nice but often I find I have to push the ISO up to speed the shutter up and the result can be too much noise as the 400D really doesn't handle ISO above 400 very good and even 400 is a little too grainy for macro on that particular camera.

As and when I get the chance to upgrade, I know I'll be able to attempt more natural light macros, OR natural light macros with a touch of fill flash.

After I wrote that I was looking through some pictures I took (using available light) earlier today before the rain started and was disappointed at the results - high ISO, slow shutter speeds, and some breeze. You can imagine the results. Then I noticed the rain had stopped so I thought I would try using flash, after all that would help cope with the breeze.

With my SX10is I had a Canon flash set up for diffusion and also for reflection off of a card held by a bendy plamp. I tried reflecting flash with my new G3 when I first got it so today I did a quick adjustment of my diffuser so it would fit onto the slightly larger external flash for the G3. Well, I tried a few shots, but I quite quickly put the flash away and tried again with available light, in by now worsening light compared to the session earlier in the day. So I don't really expect the results to be any better than the earlier session today.

I know I should try harder, experiment more, take more time over it, etc etc. But I really don't seem to have much talent/patience/I don't know what for using flash as the main light source, even though I have seen others get amazing results like that. I keep coming back to what you describe, "natural light macros, OR natural light macros with a touch of fill flash". That's what I feel at home with. (Although I keep forgetting the fill flash side of it, generally only thinking of it when it is sunny and the shadows are really deep. I shall definitely try to work on that side of things and extend my use of fill flash, because I do take your point about bringing out extra detail.)

Thanks for your thoughts on this. It definitely helps in thinking through options and opening up avenues to explore.

I think the most important thing is to use what works for you but I'm glad my shots have inspired you to explore the world of flash in macro :).

I have however had a look through your flickr stream and you have some exceptionally superb shots in there so would certainly not knock the natural light. They're very very good indeed.

I think the most important thing is to use what works for you but I'm glad my shots have inspired you to explore the world of flash in macro :).

(y)

I have however had a look through your flickr stream and you have some exceptionally superb shots in there so would certainly not knock the natural light. They're very very good indeed.

Thanks for your kind words Ian. It's very much appreciated.

After I wrote that I was looking through some pictures I took (using available light) earlier today before the rain started and was disappointed at the results - high ISO, slow shutter speeds, and some breeze. You can imagine the results. Then I noticed the rain had stopped so I thought I would try using flash, after all that would help cope with the breeze.

With my SX10is I had a Canon flash set up for diffusion and also for reflection off of a card held by a bendy plamp. I tried reflecting flash with my new G3 when I first got it so today I did a quick adjustment of my diffuser so it would fit onto the slightly larger external flash for the G3. Well, I tried a few shots, but I quite quickly put the flash away and tried again with available light, in by now worsening light compared to the session earlier in the day. So I don't really expect the results to be any better than the earlier session today.

I know I should try harder, experiment more, take more time over it, etc etc. But I really don't seem to have much talent/patience/I don't know what for using flash as the main light source, even though I have seen others get amazing results like that. I keep coming back to what you describe, "natural light macros, OR natural light macros with a touch of fill flash". That's what I feel at home with. (Although I keep forgetting the fill flash side of it, generally only thinking of it when it is sunny and the shadows are really deep. I shall definitely try to work on that side of things and extend my use of fill flash, because I do take your point about bringing out extra detail.)

Thanks for your thoughts on this. It definitely helps in thinking through options and opening up avenues to explore.

Believe me, there is a world of difference when using flash when it comes to macro. Once you start you'll never look back. There is a multi-page thread here about the macro setup people use - see if you can find any where a flash is not utilised.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=132158

Back