Hooded Crow

Interesting bird, sure I've never seen one either ... nice capture :)

They're lovely birds (I have to admit to being a bit of a corvid fan), and common in Scotland of course, but also in parts of Europe. My partner who's been to northern Italy a fair bit on business told me they're common there too. I have seen one at Slimbridge, just the once and a while ago. I've never managed to get a decent photo of one.

Hi Russ

The only time I have even seen them is in Crete ........ but I think that they can be found in Scotland and Ireland - strange that it is seldom seen in England

This time of the year they are picking up walnuts that have fallen, then finding a high point (quite often the power pole opposite my place) and dropping them to smash the shell, it is fun watching them.

This time of the year they are picking up walnuts that have fallen, then finding a high point (quite often the power pole opposite my place) and dropping them to smash the shell, it is fun watching them.

like this, (in Crete), but not a good image

H_Crow_nut.jpg

Last edited:
A couple of weeks ago I was watching either crows or rooks - can't remember which now. It's my age - cracking nuts (presumably chestnuts?) by dropping them from a great height onto the nice paving in Tesco's car park. They were flying over. They didn't manage to hit any cars or people while I was watching, but............

Hi Jan
A couple of weeks ago I was watching either crows or rooks - can't remember which now. It's my age - cracking nuts (presumably chestnuts?) by dropping them from a great height onto the nice paving in Tesco's car park. They were flying over. They didn't manage to hit any cars or people while I was watching, but............
- I've seen great black-backed gulls dropping crabs onto a pebble beach in order to get a tasty snack! Nature will always find a way for a meal :)

Russ

I saw some Hooded Crows in Berlin when I was there in August. I've never seen them in the UK though.

I saw some Hooded Crows in Berlin when I was there in August. I've never seen them in the UK though.
Well I saw loads in Berlin in July :p

Was it at the zoo by any chance? There were a "murder" of them (if that's what you call a group of hooded crows) fighting over the visitor's litter. I might even have some pics, I'll take a look in my archive later...

Nice looking birds and I'm a corvid fan too :)

A good shot of a great bird.

The fact hooded crows are not, in general, seen in England is interesting and I can't find a reason. They are more common in Scotland and there is overlap with the carrion crow (and interbreeding occurs, which tended to support the ideal (apparently not now believed) of hooded and carrion crows being one species) but in the Highlands they are the common crow, in the same way as the carrion crow is in England. It seems they haven't spread south and the carrion crow hasn't spread north, a lot. However, in the last 5 or so years I have seen more carrion crows in and around Inverness so perhaps the carrion crow is moving more than the hooded.

As mentioned above they are just like any other crow - opportunistic and bright and I don't know why they haven't moved into other areas of the UK; perhaps they cannot compete with the carrion crow.

Dave

Well I saw loads in Berlin in July :p

Was it at the zoo by any chance? There were a "murder" of them (if that's what you call a group of hooded crows) fighting over the visitor's litter. I might even have some pics, I'll take a look in my archive later...

Nice looking birds and I'm a corvid fan too :)

It was outside the Olympic Stadium, I only had my phone camera but here they are:Hooded Crows (2).jpg

Back