Hoods

cowasaki

TPer Emeritus
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
I have had a few shots spoilt by stray light and would have probably used a hood but the lenses I was using do not have them. My two lenses that do have hoods are the 105 mm and the 18-200 mm and both these hoods are differently styled.

Anyone know why some are bigger than others? Why they are different shapes? What shots really benefit? If it is worth buying them for lenses that don't come with them? If cheap ones are ok ? What shots REALLY benefit from them etc etc

I had a really nice shot on my nifty fifty which was spoiled by stray light. I should have kept it to post for comments but I haven't got it now. What would people suggest for the nifty (it has a 52 mm screw connector) for eg

hit up ebay for an es-62 or buy a genuine canon es-62 (i got a second hand genuine one from misfuds)

I love hoods they stop most flare and I can stand the lens up on them when changing, they offer almost as much protection as a uv filter (not against sand or spray) and reduce flare instead of increasing it, and you can get cheap ones as they aren't in the optical chain

tele lenses have round hoods longer for longer lenses, wide ange lenses have petal hoods with gaps for the corners, standard zooms basically have a hood shaped for their wide end

ignore the es-62 bit as I thought it was a canon 50mm f1.8

it wiuld be a different number but the misfuds site has a drop down list to pick hoods that shows you the genuine ones name so you can ebay for it

I had a hood on my 50mm f/1.8, it was a screw-in one from Ebay, wasn't expensive. You can get HK copies of most of the Nikon hoods - I have one on my 70-200 to keep the genuine one new for when I sell it.

I was surprised that the 35mm f/1.8 came with a hood, but I suppose it made up a bit for the price :LOL:

Back