Hope Valley Sunrise

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
A bit of a honeypot shot but, hey, sometimes they have to be done :LOL:

IMG_0415.jpg

Sunrise over the Hope Valley by Chris Gilbert
A bit of rehabilitation. I hate doing mornings but almost without exception end up with something worthwhile and this was one I could do without any mental anguish. Figured I wouldn't get the place to myself given the forecast but didn't bank on there being 5 other people with cameras there at the same time (!) Anyway, a 5 minute slot where the sun showed itself before vanishing for the rest of the day.

Last edited:
A beautiful shot of a beautiful scene very nice work.

stunningly beautiful

Absolutely beautiful.

The location, including the mountains and the foreground fence, is really wonderful, but overall the image is overwhelmed by the amount of grey in it. The sun coming through for a brief moment helps, but unfortunately not enough.

I like it but do think it's a little cold so hope you don't mine my little edit in warming it a small bit, may have worked better on a bigger file

IMG_0415.jpg

Sunrise over the Hope Valley by Chris Gilbert

mist+ by HS-uk, on Flickr

Last edited:
I like the shot, it's great, but I've no idea what a "honeypot shot" is!

its the classical gate shot from mam tor! nice to see the sub starting to shifting more south now.

Mmmm, not entirely convinced :LOL: There's some aspects that work well. I think that the brightening of the mist around the crown of the hills is nice but there's a danger in almost entirely losing the colour gradient. Worth thinking about, though.

I just think warmer tones hang on walls better :)

I just think warmer tones hang on walls better :)

No, it's a fair point indeed. Of course, when printed large, as this is intended to be, there will be a shift in how the components of the shot are perceived. The balance of light to dark and warm to cold will change with size and framing. Interestingly one of the things that I have done since I developed the shot yesterday is drop a semi-transparent multiplying layer over it and it now pops much better. It hasn't necesarily warmed it in the way you did but the gradients are just a touch more intense and consequently more satisfying.

I'm also viewing it on TP Black, which again alters the perception.

:) We all have are preferences (y)

I love the original ( as shot) image- stunning and very atmospheric :clap:

worth the early start

Les (y)

Black bg does change it but as most people have light walls, may make the image darker

Black sir (y) why do you have a preference :) :)

Les :D

Thanks Les.

Not really but it does change the way one perceives things. To be honest I don't think the TP default of ****-weak blue does any of the photographs posted on here any favours at all. It should default to black :LOL: I certainly develop on black and I think that if the default was black it would help a lot of the developing photographers improve thier work ..... :bat: ;)

I disagree to a point, viewing on a black bg on line such as flickr does help isolate the image but not many hang images on black walls

I disagree to a point, viewing on a black bg on line such as flickr does help isolate the image but not many hang images on black walls

A fair point, but it emulates the function that is performed by the frame - isolate the image and protect the transition from real world to fantasy.

There is a continual tension in modern photography with the move away from artefact and toward digital/online. Inevitably the perception of online work is different to the perception of artefact but, IMO, the fact that image development tools like photoshop tend toward a dark ground is a reflection of the benefit that this arrangement has in insulating the fantasy from the reality.

(PS Thanks Jake!)

Last edited:
It emulates the function that is performed by the frame - isolate the image and protect the transition from real world to fantasy.

With a black gallary frame maybe, on a canvas hmmm not so sure :razz: :D

With a black gallary frame maybe, on a canvas hmmm not so sure :razz: :D

Ah, now that's a different ball game. Canvas, and other frameless media for that matter, is an interesting one wherein the wall and environment in which the work is placed manage the transition and I would agree with you on that point.

( there's an edit above. I appreciate that I put that in while you were writing )

Back