Critique Hopedale

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

this is a shot from a couple of weeks ago, I keep looking at it and playing around with it, I am just not sure if it works with the amount of flair in it. do I need to lighten the walls or are they ok. would a crop at he top help just remove the sun but leave the rays, or am I flogging a dead horse with this one.

Hopedale
by NikonNeil, on Flickr

Think it does work, Neil. For me it is the amount of deep shade that makes the shot - nice and punchy.

Neil
Without the flare I think I would like this but I find the flare too distracting.

The sun is a mere distraction for me. In fact I prefer the shot cropped to just above the top of the tree. However if you do that then it would need more contrast and something for the eye to settle on. Having said that, the view could work so it may be worth re-visiting in different weather conditions.

Neil
Without the flare I think I would like this but I find the flare too distracting.
cheers Alf it dose pull the eye

The sun is a mere distraction for me. In fact I prefer the shot cropped to just above the top of the tree. However if you do that then it would need more contrast and something for the eye to settle on. Having said that, the view could work so it may be worth re-visiting in different weather conditions.
cheers Bob, I will try a crop and increase in contrast, its definatly a place I will be going back to. if the snow comes as forcast this week it maybe worth the trip if I can get down to the car park in Ilam.

For me, the composition isn't there. I follow the road but it just disappears. The tree on the left is just not placed correctly in the image. The sun is too distracting and the wall is too dark. Too much to do to make this a decent shot. But that's my useless, and valueless, view.

I quite like the flare Neil, its symmetrical and not excessive and I think adds to the image

I would like to see some D&B work on some areas to even up the overall exposure of the landscape and also a vignette lift in PP

Agree with theoldman above, the road leads the eye but then you can't see where it's going. The shadows on the hillside a lovely though. The darkness of the wall spoils it a bit for me, a small lift here and i think it'd work better, but the road troubles me.

cheers for the comments guys I, see what you mean with the road, a place to revisit I think and take a bit more time with the comp.

Back