Horse Racing - Camera under jumps settings

Name
Seba
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello TP,

Just after some advice on camera settings for an up coming event down at Cheltenham Racecourse on New Year's Day.

When I work down there at meetings, I am usually joined by another photographer, but on NYD I am on my own. So instead of doing the long photos on the 200-400, I've got to do the jump photos.

I want to try and get two different angles so will be using the D700 with a 70-200 and the D300 with a 17-70 under the jumps on a remote trigger. Looking to get photos like this... (Not mine)

http://images.theage.com.au/ftage/ffximage/2009/05/20/jumps_wideweb__470x311,0.jpg

Question is, what settings would you have the D300 on under the jumps? I have never had to do photos like these before so I'm a little out of my comfort zone.

Thanks in advance.

Seba

Last edited by a moderator:
Employ me to come and do it for you. I'm only round the corner metaphorically!

According to the EXIF that image was take with a 15mm on a D3 (1/2000 and f/5) so you're not going to get the same effect with a 17-70 on a crop camera like a D300.

Aye, but I'm not looking to do the EXACT same. Just after some gentle pointers.

I personally was thinking a higher f-stop, as the jumps are pretty wide/deep (although the horses tend to stick in groups).

Would you/one recommend the Big White square for the AF senor mode? or the cross hair?

Seb, I've left you a voicemail. Give me a call back and I'll talk you through it!

Edit:

and yup, you are spot on, the DoF is too narrow on that shot.

Last edited:
I walk out of the room for two minutes and miss a call.... typical.

Seb, I've left you a voicemail. Give me a call back and I'll talk you through it!

Edit:

and yup, you are spot on, the DoF is too narrow on that shot.

Why not just talk him through it on the forum? Isn't that the whole point of TP?

17mm on a DX sensor is going to shoot you in the foot, it'll get too tight.
Hire a 12-24 or a 12mm fisheye if you can.

Horses then to jump at Cheltenham on the near side (to the stands) over the hurdles and far side over the fences so pre-focus about a metre into the fence from those points. However, on the last circuit they can (and often do) jump anywhere over the fence.
Stop down as much as the light will allow you without ramping the iso too high, you'll need the dof and the shutter speed, find a balance (f5.0 seems a little excessive).

You can't position a camera on the take off side, its against the course rules at Cheltenham and it can distract the horses as they take off, which is bloody risky. If you've been trackside you'll know they travel at 20-40 mph and you don't want one of those landing on you because you've distracted it.

I am of course presuming you have

Why not just talk him through it on the forum? Isn't that the whole point of TP?

Part of the conversation was private and I didn't fancy typing out what eventually became a 20 minute chat.

Is that OK? It happens quite frequently on here, and if I can help someone, then I will.

Update. Wasn't hugely successful, and as I was working I abandoned the idea early on in order to make sure I got plenty of images for the 'boss'. The day overall was a mixed bag. Heavy cloud meant the light went very early on. The flat race at the end was horrible!

Decided to get a couple of press passes at local courses (Plumpton) to have a practise.

Thank you so much for the help Mark! Hugely appreciated. I am determined to nail this!

Seba said:
Update. Wasn't hugely successful, and as I was working I abandoned the idea early on in order to make sure I got plenty of images for the 'boss'. The day overall was a mixed bag. Heavy cloud meant the light went very early on. The flat race at the end was horrible!

Decided to get a couple of press passes at local courses (Plumpton) to have a practise.

Thank you so much for the help Mark! Hugely appreciated. I am determined to nail this!

Probably a very good move (the first part that is), and from 20 odd miles away the weather was indeed boggingly awful! :)

If you're going to Plumpton give me a shout and we'll see if we can meet up for the day. I might even ditch my cameras and enjoy the racing for a while; I love the course, grass routes racing at it's best!

Probably a very good move (the first part that is), and from 20 odd miles away the weather was indeed boggingly awful! :)

If you're going to Plumpton give me a shout and we'll see if we can meet up for the day. I might even ditch my cameras and enjoy the racing for a while; I love the course, grass routes racing at it's best!

Will do mate. It's a cracking little place. Almost a time warp!

Update. Wasn't hugely successful,

This is normal :) You need to be pretty lucky to get a good/great under fence shot as a lot of variables need to fall into place for you to have it work including the horse jumping exactly where you have the camera placed.

Concentrate on getting the shots with the horses jumping the fences for the boss and if the remote manages to pick up something then well and good. You'll find you will be going home without anything off the remote a lot lot more than days when you have something useable!

This is normal :) You need to be pretty lucky to get a good/great under fence shot as a lot of variables need to fall into place for you to have it work including the horse jumping exactly where you have the camera placed.

Concentrate on getting the shots with the horses jumping the fences for the boss and if the remote manages to pick up something then well and good. You'll find you will be going home without anything off the remote a lot lot more than days when you have something useable!

That's what I found the couple of times I tried. Very little success. It's always a huge rush between races; action, winners enclosure, parade ring. Ended up half worrying about the remote camera, half worrying about what else I was capturing.

Just need a couple of practice sessions to at least get to grips with the technique.

Back