horse racing

Name
steve
Edit My Images
Yes
after some good advice please i really want to get involved in horse racing photography but dont know where to start, i have been down to my local course and took some which i found really enjoyable but i would really like to be more involved even to the point where i would like to supply images to publications. so if anyone could kindly offer me some pointers i would be grateful

This ones from NEWBURY and pretty standard... I ahve sene more strict rules of entry for photogrpahers..

Applications from freelance photographers who are not RCA accredited must be supported by a recognised newspaper, agency or major racing publication.

All photographers must hold third party liability insurance of a minimum of £1 million and must provide evidence of such insurance. All photographers who are provided with on-course access and are not RCA accredited will have to sign and return the Rules of Photography before accreditation will be considered. These can be downloaded below

This ones from NEWBURY and pretty standard... I ahve sene more strict rules of entry for photogrpahers..

Applications from freelance photographers who are not RCA accredited must be supported by a recognised newspaper, agency or major racing publication.

All photographers must hold third party liability insurance of a minimum of £1 million and must provide evidence of such insurance. All photographers who are provided with on-course access and are not RCA accredited will have to sign and return the Rules of Photography before accreditation will be considered. These can be downloaded below.

thanks kippax i will have a look at that as that seems a reasonable way of gaining entry to events for some photography

Not going to happen at the moment or for the forseeable future.

In the post C-19 era media access is massively restricted.

PS - even with the accred above, such as Newbury, you will need to show experience of either working trackside or considerable experience with horses.

This is what we will have to go through from next Monday...

"Every person who falls into one of the ‘permitted’ categories and who is intending to go racing must fill in a detailed questionnaire two days before for the first time during this period, and another shorter questionnaire the day before every other meeting they wish to attend

Once a person has filled in the questionnaires satisfactorily, they are issued with a barcode, which is checked at the entrance to the racecourse. That’s Station 1. Once that’s all in order, they move on to Station 2, temperature screening. If they pass that, they are allowed entry and given a wristband, coloured to denote the areas to which they have access within the racecourse"

Pretty much the same here. RCA/BHA online tutorial, then questionnaire. PPE as per instructions (self funded and acquired).

Oh, and as yet, RCA approved only. Which is the real kicker. It's still a closed shop there.

I presumed the OP understood it wouldnt be for the current situation.. i would be suprised if he was thinking of going anytime soon :) .. I was generalising how the industry works..

I presumed the OP understood it wouldn't be for the current situation.. i would be suprised if he was thinking of going anytime soon :) .. I was generalising how the industry works..
oh yes i understand there is no way i am expecting to get out for a while yet which really prompted my question, as demilion said i will need proof of experience of working trackside which prompts me to ask how do i get the experience if nobody will let me in ??

I would suggest to the OP that in the mean time to have a look at your local tracks and see what's possible from the outside.

I went down to Roscommon Racecourse last Monday. We hadn't been permitted in but I thought there were some good shots to be got from outside the track. A bit of a Google Map research session and I realised there was a main road running along the side of the course, and that the 7f start was right next to it for 4 races. Then I worked out where the 1m 2f start was and that they would pass the road during their circuit. I also found an access path to a farmer's field I could use for one shot. Lastly, there was a small road that ran parallel to the main road, but above it, overlooking the course that I used for the finish of one race.

More Here

1904762.jpg

1904738.jpg

1904757.jpg

Rover, just had a look at your location, Hull. (I have an aunt in Anlaby)

Beverly racecourse is near by, and has a road running close to it. I think the course is clockwise, therefore they would run along it towards the finish. Definitely a couple of shots in that.

Same goes for Catterick. Plenty of areas around that course to get close to the perimeter, and in fact some potential cool shots to be had, depending on the race - maybe one shot from the A6055 bridge over the A1(M) as the horses take the top bend. That might only work on a NH race, when they do the whole loop.

Market Rasen, Ripon, Doncaster don't offer much. Redcar has a great line of houses backing onto the course - definitely a shot from the gardens to be had.

Haven't checked the other Yorkshire courses yet.

Back