• Hotel

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Name
Killer Guitarist & Photographer
Edit My Images
No
Hello Team,

I just need some info or help from you. This is the first time i am going to do the hotel photography. I am having Nikon D5100 camera.

Please suggest what are the nikon lens and equipments that are required for the same. We need to click campfire also.. So need your inputs on the same.

Deep breath.. and perhaps you'd like to fully expand your question..
  1. What you intend to achieve? - photos of what, for what purpose, in what style
  2. Repeat of point 1 for the camp fire requirement..

Half a question at best results in only half an answer. And probably the wrong half.

You would need a wide angle len = perhaps 10-24mm if you are talking about taking photos inside the hotel

Thanks for your reply.

Basically i am gonna do the interior of hotels with models and gonna shoot meeting room or conference rooms, hotel bedrooms with couples, campfire (night), swimming pool, pub,exterior of hotel, reception etc...

Please suggest what equipments that needs to be used for the same...

@Alastair :- Thanks for the reply. We need to shoot from different angles such as from top, sideways and front.. This is for one of the client who is opening his hotel in india. We need to shoot the campfire where people will be moving around fire and we need to click them from all the angles as mentioned above..

My prediction is you'll need a selection of good lenses - wide, normal and a short tele - plus a selection of lights and modifiers for the interior shots unless they're exceptionally brightly lit, and even then some fill won't go amiss. I don't know Nikon lenses so won't make specific suggestions, besides this sounds like a very serious commission to be asking such basic questions.

My prediction is you'll need a selection of good lenses - wide, normal and a short tele - plus a selection of lights and modifiers for the interior shots unless they're exceptionally brightly lit, and even then some fill won't go amiss. I don't know Nikon lenses so won't make specific suggestions, besides this sounds like a very serious commission to be asking such basic questions.

^^^ This.

The solution here is knowledge, skill and experience, more than equipment - though you'll need quite a bit of that, too. It's really like me asking, what guitar do I need to play like you in this gig I have next week?

I've done a little bit of stuff for a friend with a hotel - room interiors, views and exterior shots. I used a Sigma 12-24 to get as much of the rooms in as possible and that was on an FF body. I would think you'd probably need a 10-20, if not wider on a crop body to get a similar angle of view. Since I was on holiday, I used natural light and the interior lights - the natural did most of the work and the reading lamps threw a nice warm glow over the bed head. The D700's high ISO performance helped keep things clean and the fact that the shots were purely for small, low resolution web use helped too!

^^^ This.

The solution here is knowledge, skill and experience, more than equipment - though you'll need quite a bit of that, too. It's really like me asking, what guitar do I need to play like you in this gig I have next week?
This really.

Apologies if this sounds harsh, but if you think that buying the right gear will get you 'pro' results, you have taken in a job you're not capable of.

Ive always said, if you need to ask what equipment you need for a job, you shouldn't really be doing that job.
If you heard a Brain surgeon asking someone what tools he needed to cut open a skull, would you want him anywhere near you when you are lying on a operating table?

Ive always said, if you need to ask what equipment you need for a job, you shouldn't really be doing that job.
If you heard a Brain surgeon asking someone what tools he needed to cut open a skull, would you want him anywhere near you when you are lying on a operating table?

As my brain surgeon told me when he apologised slightly for the (now faded and almost invisible to most people) scar he left, it was far better for me to let a brain surgery team stitch my scalp back together than to let a cosmetic surgeon poke around inside my skull!
Hard for a photographer to wreck a hotel.

Somebody who knows exactly what they are doing could technically get it all done with a phone.

The trick with interiors, especially larger ones, is balancing light across the room, lifting darker corners and highlighting features. On the last similar job I used up to five flash guns.

You are really asking how to be a professional photographer. That can hardly be answered on a forum like this.

No-one seems to have addressed the camp-fire photos. I re-enact, so take lots of photos round the fire and by candle or lamplight. I use the fastest possible lens (50mm f1.4 in my case), aperture priority, auto ISO limited to 6400 (on a Canon 7D2) and, depending how I feel, either spot meter off a face, or dial in around -3 EV, adjusting as I feel right for each photo. I keep the white balance on my normal Cloudy, then cool the photos slightly afterwards. Many people seem to get rid of the orange glow entirely, but in my eyes that looks wrong as fires and firelight are not white, they are orange. To see if this is the effect you are after, there is a selection of my fireside photos here: http://2ndsouthcarolina.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=15888893

Back