House on the river

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
A picture of an oft-photographed house that stands beside the River Derwent just upstream from Calver Weir. Because the water here is deep and slowed by the weir, you can get lovely refections of the opposite bank. A wider lens (or stitched panorama) also allows you to get the nearby bridge in frame too (it's just out of shot to the right of this image).

Bronica ETRSi
Zenzanon 75mm f/2.8
Ilford Pan F Plus

FILM - House on the river
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

I like that Nige, lovely tones and a good reflection.

I love the black and white it makes the features of the buildings really clear, the reflection is stunning - what a lovely spot to find

I find the top half a bit cluttered, I can't help but wonder if it isn't one for your Holga, Nige.

The Holga has a much wider angle of view, so (unless I paddled out int the river :) ) the foliage on the upper bank would still be in frame, plus a lot more sky - albeit the foliage would have been "Holgafied" by the edge of the plastic lens. I might take the shot again later in the year when the greenery is in full effect.

WOW!! That is superb!! The tones and sharpness are amazing!!!

I’d try portrait mode at a similar focal length rather than go wider.
As mentioned the top is a bit busy/ distracting not least of all as the trees are chopped short.
A portrait orientation might help to rectify that without losing the main subject matter of house and its reflection.

A pleasant shot nonetheless.
Architecture in monochrome always works well imo and can be clearly seen in this capture.

I’d try portrait mode at a similar focal length rather than go wider.
As mentioned the top is a bit busy/ distracting not least of all as the trees are chopped short.
A portrait orientation might help to rectify that without losing the main subject matter of house and its reflection.

A pleasant shot nonetheless.
Architecture in monochrome always works well imo and can be clearly seen in this capture.

Thanks Asha. A portrait shot would work well I think, but not on the day in question - it was one of those horrible, overcast days where the sky is just a flat, featureless slab of grey. I think if I'd included all of the trees then there would be a distractingly bright band across the top of the image.

I also only had the WLF attached to the Bronica on the day and, while I also had an L-bracket so placing it on the tripod in portrait orientation wouldn't have been a problem, trying to compose with a WLF while it's stuck out the side of the camera is a right bu@@er to do. :)

I’m on the TP app and atm can’t see wether you accept your images to be edited Nige.
If not please say so and I’ll delete.

Adjustments.JPG

I think I would personally go for something along these lines with the bungalow out of the scene and to add height to the trees which would of course make this composition less square than how it appears.

All you need now is a nice sky with some blue , some clouds and a warm filter on the front of your lens!

I look forward to your next attempt.[emoji6]

Back