HoverFly and Wasp in Flight

Edit My Images
No
How difficult can it be? Bloody difficult that's what !

LOTS of shots taken. these were the best two I managed to get. Focus is slightly out but it's not easy to track something that is constantly darting about. Even the hovers who'll sometimes just hover in one place were on a mission to visit every flower they could in as short a space of time as possible :)

1/200 @ F8. Flash -1/3
618913883_mxZGi-L.jpg

This one seems a little too contrasty but I can fix that another time.
618950771_wgRjQ-L.jpg

I was outside today trying to take some similar shots so I can sympathise with the difficulty! I think you've done a good job and #2 is the best of the two shots in my opinion. Good work.

Thank you Michael :)

It's not easy is it.

Very very good shots, its very frustrating getting shots like those.

Very good on both of them! No.1 almost looks like its angling its head while deciding which direction to dart off in.
Whenever I try to capture them flying I tend to find that just as I get it in focus is when it decides to move elsewhere in a completely random direction. Rinse and repeat until I either hit on lucky or sit down and cry! :crying:

Last edited:
Very well done on both of them. I tried this and it's astonishingly difficult...

Thanks for the compliments all :).

Perseverence is a requirement for sure :)

Nice attempts, to lose the contrasty light use a diffuser to sofen it. Well done on the wasp, not the easiest insect to get flying. ;)

Found a good spot in a friends garden for hover flies, wasps and bees.

Was at garden BBQ and there were dozens of them flying around, no camera with me of course.

Nice attempts, to lose the contrasty light use a diffuser to sofen it. Well done on the wasp, not the easiest insect to get flying. ;)

Cheers Ajo. :)

It was diffused but to be honest, I'm not sure the one I have is working as well as I would like. It's a Sto-Fen diffuser but I'm thinking of making a LordV special (Check out Digital Grin for LordVetinari Macros.. if you've never heard of him).

I need something that's much larger and closer to the end of the lens.

Thanks Stan :)

Cheers Ajo. :)

It was diffused but to be honest, I'm not sure the one I have is working as well as I would like. It's a Sto-Fen diffuser but I'm thinking of making a LordV special (Check out Digital Grin for LordVetinari Macros.. if you've never heard of him).

I need something that's much larger and closer to the end of the lens.

Yes I know Brian Valentine he is one hell of a macro photographer and a very active one too. He shots everything from his garden which has a huge amount of insect visitors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah... He has two ponds, no insecticide and a whole load of visitors :). Gonna have a whirl at his home made diffusers :)

Back