Critique Hoverfly & Bee with a Bokina

They look great. I know nothing about the lens, but it seems to be pretty good. #2 would be my pick of the 3.

Super shots from a oldie, the lens not you :D I`d pick No 2 also but all really nice anyway.
Its nice to see some people still like to use these old lens, Think I know what one you use.

It's working well. Nice fine detail.

Critique: The detail in the in-focus area of #2 is very good, but my preference would be to have the head in focus.

The A7rii is on my radar, so I'm wondering ...

What apertures did you use?

What adapter are you using? Using the adapter, do you get focus peaking to help with focusing?

Thanks for the positive vibes :)

Hand-held, leaning down over other plants, so couldn't be super-precise with the focussing, but yes - full head in sharp focus would've been great. I like the texture to the wings though, so more DOF rather than just closer focus?

f/10 I think, possibly a click either side (obviously no EXIF), I haven't done a proper test of the lens in terms of sharpness drop-off, so could perhaps of added a touch more DOF.
Using an N&F Concept adaptor I think. They're also pretty much the same as they're electronics-free, however yes - you still get focus peaking, plus live-view zooming for critical focus, though manually activated, unlike native Sony lenses which auto-zoom when you grab the MF.

Thanks for the positive vibes :)

:)

Hand-held, leaning down over other plants, so couldn't be super-precise with the focussing, but yes - full head in sharp focus would've been great. I like the texture to the wings though,

Yes, me too. I wondered if that was what you were going for.

so more DOF rather than just closer focus?

f/10 I think, possibly a click either side (obviously no EXIF), I haven't done a proper test of the lens in terms of sharpness drop-off, so could perhaps of added a touch more DOF.

I am biased. For insects I use the equivalent of f/45 on full frame. Most people don't (in fact, almost nobody). So experiment and see what works for you. (DoF roughly doubles for each two stops decrease in aperture.)

I don't know how much you are cropping, but with the A7rii you could probably crop to 100%. The more you stand back and then crop to get back to the framing you want, the bigger the DoF will be.

Using an N&F Concept adaptor I think. They're also pretty much the same as they're electronics-free, however yes - you still get focus peaking, plus live-view zooming for critical focus, though manually activated, unlike native Sony lenses which auto-zoom when you grab the MF.

Interesting. Thanks.

No crop at all for the first two... Small one for #3.

The Bokina comes with an optional 1:1 converter, as opposed to 2:1 native, and this was the first time I was actually able to fill the frame with the subject.
The below was taken handheld, natural light without the converter - small crop, much deeper DOF

Swallowtail on Lavendar by Paul Durbin, on Flickr

Nice start Paul

No crop at all for the first two... Small one for #3.

Loads of scope for cropping then. You might want to try some shots with a subject small in the frame (e.g. occupying perhaps 1/4 or so of the height/width) and then cropping heavily, and comparing it with images of the same subject occupying most of the frame.

Back