How can I improve my sunsets

Name
Jack
Edit My Images
Yes
some I took last week at windermere I use a nd4 and a grad filter, had bad problems with lens flare the day before but think it could have been dirty filters? still present on these but I dont think it spoils them

3589033432_abf7c06293_o.jpg

3588226833_006d48462a_o.jpg

3588227073_2a813ddfb0_o.jpg

thanks Jack (y)

Not sure how you'd improve on them as landscapes aren't the kind of thing that I shoot, but I'm loving the peachy tones that you've got here (y)

I think you've probably answered things in part yourself - shooting direct into the sun is murder for showing up any contamination on lenses/filters.

Also (and this is something that may well not bother anyone else) for me, the curved horizons jar a little - perhaps you could apply a little lens correction in photoshop to straighten them up?

Other than that, I'd have been delighted to come home with these in the camera.

What TheBigYin said! I'd be pleased with those.. the softness of the water, the interesting background/horizon and how there is a definition between each layer of hills.

thanks for comments

I shall have a look at the curved horizon cheers

Stacking filters can cause ghosting and flaring especially if shooting at bright light sources.

I'd shoot the scene with the ND filter on, take it off and shoot the scene with the Grad on and then blend the 2 images in post processing.

Also, consider a little exposure compensation. A few steps down will speed up the shutter and reduce the chances of the sun blowing out.

What "more" are you looking for? What PP have you done?

I really like the first one.

Stacking filters can cause ghosting and flaring especially if shooting at bright light sources.

I'd shoot the scene with the ND filter on, take it off and shoot the scene with the Grad on and then blend the 2 images in post processing.

Also, consider a little exposure compensation. A few steps down will speed up the shutter and reduce the chances of the sun blowing out.

Thanks Ian

What "more" are you looking for? What PP have you done?

I really like the first one.

adjusted levels, touch of saturation and a bit of contrast

just wondered if you can shoot without lens flare maybe a limitation of my camera or user but I've seen sunset shots where the sun looks perfectly round

thanks

Back