How cold can a camera or lens get?

Edit My Images
No
Was just wondering, when away from home during the colder months, is it safe to leave camera bags in the car overnight? Just how cold can you let them get? Is there a danger of condensation on interior mirrors or lens elements?

as long as you arnt using it in hot/warm conditions immediately afterwards it should be ok. I've used my camera down to about -10, the batterys just drain quicker.

Was just wondering, when away from home during the colder months, is it safe to leave camera bags in the car overnight?

no, no, no way not around these parts .tooo many chavs :LOL:

otherwise yes as mole2k says going from warm to cold can cause condensation , usually clears after 1 hour

in the cold i keep a spare battery warm & snug in my pocket as they drain real quick.

You say condensation will clear after an hour or so but surely if you get condensation on an internal lens element then it's going to leave residue when it evaporates?

Condensation on internal elements is likely to cause mildew, but prevention is better than cure. If you've been out in really cold conditions the best thing to do is seal the camera in a plastic bag and leave it at room temperature to stabilise gradually before you remove it.

I've never noticed any Vertigo and I've had my camera condense up on me on a number of occasions. Once I had a lens that got absolutely soaked one day in a thunderstorm and I left in the rear window of the car overnight came back and water physically poured out of the lens!

I left it in the hot press for a week and it isnt any worse for the wear.

As for how cold cameras can get - people do use them on Everest expeditions and the like, where the batteries die in minutes, diaphragms freeze solid, and even the graphite lubrication on various parts of the camera freezes up. :D

In Norway, we left the camera kit in the outer lobby of the hut we set up shop in so it didn't warm up and get all steamy (batteries come inside for re-charging).
That was about -20C, so pretty cold. In the 'old' days we had to watch out for film snapping as it got colder, but these days it's not an issue...
Nikon will 'cold-proof' Pro cameras and lenses if you're going to work in Arctic conditions, but they have to be sealed away in boxes as the lubricants are a bit 'runny' in milder climes. Same with extra hot conditions.
That said I've used my D2x bodies in Norway (-20 at night) and in Afghanistan (+60C) with no prior preparation and had no dramas at all - which is why I like them so much.
And the batteries last for longer than expected in ultra-cold conditions, happily...

Condensation on internal elements is likely to cause mildew, but prevention is better than cure. If you've been out in really cold conditions the best thing to do is seal the camera in a plastic bag and leave it at room temperature to stabilise gradually before you remove it.

yes i'd certainly agree with that CT , to elaborate further i've never had to do it but i'd throw into said bag a few sachets of silica gel as found in boxes of electrical equipment .

personally i keep a large sachet of said silica gel in my camera bag at a ll times.

Back