How could I have improved this shot?

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I went out wth a photographer friend of mine on a location shoot and he let me take a few using his lighting set up (2 x speed lights in an octobox) And I DID get some nice shots. tis one seems to have overexposed on her face somewhat. Is this just positioning of the light? or shutter speed? I'm secretly quite pleased with it, but I'd like to nail it next time I get the opportunity

TIA,

Nick

20haash.jpg

Thanks Den,

I actually bought it down a notch in LR as it looked so overexposed if that makes sense?

Thanks Den,

I actually bought it down a notch in LR as it looked so overexposed if that makes sense?

I'm only a novice but from the lightroom point of view

You can do selective exposure and many other alterations in lightroom with adjustment brush.

So you can try to tone down the face where it may have looked overexposed.

then bring the exposure up and color, vibrance up in the flowers and white dress or underexposed areas.

Its more advanced and I am only just starting to learn it but you can certainly tone down overexposed areas and lift up underexposed areas etc in the same picture

and I think your photo is an example where the adjustment brush could do well

Well, it depends on the look you want to achieve but I'd say that her face has about the right exposure and the rest of the picture is too dark. The flash was proabably to close to her face so the rest of the picture didn't get enough light. But you can fix that in post if you shot in RAW. Just make the surroundings around her face brighter in your RAW converter.

Reflector under her flowers may push some more light into that area. If you get it right "in camera" you will cut down on post processing.
Matt

Hi Nick,

Unless you were shooting High Speed Sync enabled remote flash, the light from the flash probably did not light all of the image as the rear curtain was closing when it fired. i.e. the shutter speed was too high - above the flash x-sync limit of, 1/200th for a Canon 6D? To ensure you get shutter speeds that will work with flash, shoot in manual, and stay under the flash sync limit on the shutter.

On the whole though this is still a nice shot - the light on her face has a nice wistful quality.

Owen

Nick,
Regardless of the technical aspects, for the pose in the context of a "wedding" / "event" (as evidenced by the posy of flowers) I would have thought the subject should look just a little 'happier' ?

John

edit: Ive had to edit my first response as it was to blunt.

Surely the model wasn't impressed? The makeup/lighting, facial expression and hair all fail the supposed occasion in my opinion, or are you trying to twist the thinking in that she doesn't wish to be there?

Last edited:
Although not a portrait photographer. Would it not be best to view the unprocessed image to see exactly what the lighting was like. After PP on many shots (not just portraits) it's difficult to offer meaningful advice as you end up commenting on PP and not the basic technique, which I'm assuming the OP is seeking ?

I think you need to crop it. She looks like she's about 4 foot 6. (If she is 4 foot 6, I apologise)

Because of the angle of her face her right eye looks bigger than her left, a bit Marty Feldman.

I personally think people standing in front of walls are waiting for the firing squad. My son thought she was in a dungeon.

Sorry, but better than I could do anyway.

Last edited:
Is this just positioning of the light? or shutter speed? I'm secretly quite pleased with it, but I'd like to nail it next time I get the opportunity
It appears to be positioning to me... I suspect that the octa was feathered high/forward so that her head was just in the edge of light, and the rest of the light just went off into space.

Back