How did you get into sport photography?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I have not long had my own DSLR, though have access to my Dad's since 2006 (Canon 350d).

I bought a D3100 a couple of weeks back and a 70-200 f2.8 and would like to get into sports photography over time.

I plans to practice taking shots of moving objects, which my puppies are ever willing to help with. I know I am a long way off Premiership football, but wondered if you were to start from the bottom, how would you go about it?

How do you get your first pic printed etc

Forget the dogs.. go to your local park on a sat or sun morning and shoot some park footbal.. After reading all the tips on here of how best to go about that..

When you think your good enoug (post pics on the appropriate critique area and people will advise if you are) Then start going to games that your local paper cover.. non league and the like.. where a licence isnt needed. then see if they are interested.. get enough published and you can apply for the big boys licence:)

Concentrate on step one.. get down to the local parks.. plenty of time to think about bigger steps later:)

Concentrate on step one.. get down to the local parks.. plenty of time to think about bigger steps later:)

1st job this weekend! I suppose I feel a bit awkward about going to the local park as a stranger to take some photos.

There should be a few places in Doncaster this Sunday.

Both my sons have played Ice hockey since being 10year old they are now 27
that when my sport photography started.
I have now lost count of the different sport I have shot over the years
My biggest problem is that I get too involved with sport and forget about the pictures
good job it not my living lol

I have not long had my own DSLR, though have access to my Dad's since 2006 (Canon 350d).

I bought a D3100 a couple of weeks back and a 70-200 f2.8 and would like to get into sports photography over time.

I plans to practice taking shots of moving objects, which my puppies are ever willing to help with. I know I am a long way off Premiership football, but wondered if you were to start from the bottom, how would you go about it?

How do you get your first pic printed etc

Plenty of local sport teams love photographers coming down and taking pictures
its a great way to brush up your technique just approach the person in charge and ask them 99.9% will say yes

1st job this weekend! I suppose I feel a bit awkward about going to the local park as a stranger to take some photos.

There should be a few places in Doncaster this Sunday.

Do you have any friends or family that play football, if so ask if they wouldn't mind you coming along and taking photo's of their next match.

Nope, my localish pub team are at home on Saturday, so I have emailed the club secretary and plan to go in the morning if I don't hear back and introduce myself.

My partner is teacher in a secondary school, so have asked to to ask the P.E department if they would be interested in having a learning photographer at football games.

I was into photography years back, covering motorsports miainy then was asked by a friend if I wanted to cover him as a press runner at Newcastle united when he couldn;t go, being a fan myself I jumped at the chance watching the pros work and started to think to myself "I'd like to give that a go"

I approached alot of ocal Saturday clubs and was invited along to take pictures, that season the same team went to Wembley and won the FA Vase, it built up from there two seasons back into where I am now

Thoroughly enjoy it now

Shooting stuff that stands still isn't of any interest for me so stuff that moves was/is and I like the big white lenses they stand out more than black ones.

Shooting stuff that stands still isn't of any interest for me so stuff that moves was/is and I like the big white lenses they stand out more than black ones.

Oh!!!!! Please don't tell me I have to have Canon to shoot sport...

The games were mid afternoon, rather than morning. I already had plans for the afternoon.

This weekend we are going away in the caravan, taking the dogs on the beach with their mum and breeder. I'll be taking the camera, now I have my 70-200mm I don't have to go near the water to get the dogs in the frame!

I started shooting American football by just turning up with a camera one day. I posted the pics on the team's Facebook, and it ended up becoming a regular thing. I'm now the team's official statistician... still not sure how that happened.

I'm still trying to keep the photography alive, so try to get along to amateur football games in public parks where I can. The dream scenario, though, would be to find some way of getting paid to shoot sports.

Back