How do AG photolab process Fomapan film?

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys

New here! :wave:

I was wondering if anyone has used/uses AG photolab and/or Peak Imaging for BW processing duties, and would be able to share what kind of chemicals these labs use to process Fomapan 200 Creative medium format film. I used them several times, and all the times the results I got with this film and their processing have been, to me, almost magical. Sadly, I am now abroad, and having just retrieved a couple of Foma 200 rolls from the local lab I find the 'magic' is gone. Nothing has changed in my workflow so I'm assuming it could be the processing. Hence the question! Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi guys

I was wondering if anyone has used/uses AG photolab and/or Peak Imaging for BW processing duties, and would be able to share what kind of chemicals these labs use to process Fomapan 200 Creative medium format film. I used them several times, and all the times the results I got with this film and their processing have been, to me, almost magical. Sadly, I am now abroad, and having just retrieved a couple of Foma 200 rolls from the local lab I find the 'magic' is gone. Nothing has changed in my workflow so I'm assuming it could be the processing. Hence the question! Cheers!
Just drop them a line, I'm sure they'd be happy to share, or contact them via Pm they are active on here @AgPhotographic

Hi guys

Hi - thanks for the question - a really interesting one because we at Ag and Peak use different chemicals - and you are getting great results from both!

As mentioned, Peak use XTOL. At Ag Photolab we use Fuji Hunt Negastar - which aside from having a great name, is also a great developer. But both are similar developers - both are modern generation formulations and are excellent for commercial processing because they are such good all rounders yielding excellent sharpness, full speed, fine grain - you can have your cake and eat it. Another similar developer is Tetenal Neotenal.

Negastar and Neotenal are not really packaged for the consumer as you have to buy 5L liquid concentrate. So I think your best bet would be to try Kodak XTOL - we sell this on the other side of our business:

http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/kodak-xtol-5l-363-p.asp

As a powder, it's easy to ship. It's also easy to mix - don't be put off by the fact it's a powder.

Thank you! I'd love to process my own film and I'll definitely follow your recommendation and try XTOL. Sadly for the time being I'm unable to do my own processing and will have to continue using a professional service. I might shoot more XP2+ as I've found the outcome to be more predictable (I would imagine for the reason that C41 is highly standardised and not much varies across labs?). Anyway thanks!

Thank you! I'd love to process my own film and I'll definitely follow your recommendation and try XTOL. Sadly for the time being I'm unable to do my own processing and will have to continue using a professional service. I might shoot more XP2+ as I've found the outcome to be more predictable (I would imagine for the reason that C41 is highly standardised and not much varies across labs?). Anyway thanks!
If using XP2+ on a sunny day then try shooting it at 200 ISO instead of 400 ISO (developing it as normal 400). I've found the results from doing this look nice, plus it's handy to be able to shoot at 200 or 400 on the same roll of film to go with the lighting conditions. :)

If using XP2+ on a sunny day then try shooting it at 200 ISO instead of 400 ISO (developing it as normal 400). I've found the results from doing this look nice, plus it's handy to be able to shoot at 200 or 400 on the same roll of film to go with the lighting conditions. :)

I do that all the time and completely agree with you. I find the XP2+ whites beautiful. Additionally I find it scans extremely well using my epson->vuescan->colorperfect workflow, with no noticeable grain on medium format. I used to buy it in bulk from Camarthen Cameras - sadly this option is not convenient anymore now that I'm in mainland Europe. I need to find another supplier.

I do that all the time and completely agree with you. I find the XP2+ whites beautiful. Additionally I find it scans extremely well using my epson->vuescan->colorperfect workflow, with no noticeable grain on medium format. I used to buy it in bulk from Camarthen Cameras - sadly this option is not convenient anymore now that I'm in mainland Europe. I need to find another supplier.
Have you tried macodirect.de?

Or https://www.fotoimpex.de/ Very good as well, I’ve used both and been impressed by both, there’s very little to chose between the two it just depends on the price at the time of stuff you want to buy.

I've not seen them before. Shipping much cheaper than macodirect...

They’re pretty similar and do have the occasional special offers, in film and postage.

Back